Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Scary Good Weather/CC Session

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Scary Good Weather/CC Session

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:21 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scary Good Weather/CC Session

What unbelievable weather. It was in the 60s and not a hint of wind. I don't know how it could be better for flying 1/2A stuff.

Everyone got in several flights and I finally got to see rog land - a few times. His Herr Extra is a great flying plane, even with the muffler dangling by the fuel tubing. That's right, he put in an entire successful flight with the muffler flapping along the side of the fuselage (see pic).

I got a couple shots of Bill flying his Taco. About the time I was getting ready to pack it up Banjo and some other fliers arrived.

I'll let someone else tell you about my crash landing.[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89453.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	586145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89928.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	586146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56929.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	586147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13224.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	586148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am73748.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	586149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz37829.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	586150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df74415.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	586151  
Old 12-29-2006, 06:35 PM
BSARGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scary Good Weather/CC Session

Man it was a great day!!! Rog had 3...count 'em 3 successful flights!!! The muffler was pretty funny to see...it beat the crap out of the side of the plane...About Dave's crash....all I know is I'm flying the Shrike and I hear Rog say "woah!" then I hear crunch...Rog can probably tell that story better....On my last flight of my Shrike the engine ran out of fuel...I didn't feel like walking to go get it...sooooo.....I land right at us(ok, it's hard to judge speed when a little plane is coming at you) the plane skips of the grass runway...skips off the area where I was standing....and slides into one of the tables....dented the leading edge of the wing...I guess I was trying to outdo Vic flying into the shed and the reedie race...

I don't think it could have been a better day....absolutely beautiful!!

-Bill
Old 12-29-2006, 06:38 PM
flyinrog

It was a beautiful day! and I did have 3 great flights, the last one I had lost a muffler screw and decided to fly with one screw , it was flying great and then pop it got louder..I thought I'd lost the muffler, Bill said bring it by slow and low and he said the muffler was hangin off the side but I didnt see it..Dave said to bring it in but I cant cut the throttle off on my radio so I fly around for a bit , it was running great, then it cut off and I DSed it in sure enough the muffler was hangin on by the fuel line....Daves little mishap , well it all happened so fast , he was tearin up the skies with the red plane and it deadsticked,at the same time BSarge had his hands full with the .061 Shrike ..and I was observing Dave's plane headed toward me and Bill and shouted whoa and Dave didnt have time to judge the distance (trust me it was headed straight towards us) so he nosed it in and cartwheeled it,,not much damage, a testiment to Daves building skills..Then Banjo, Donnie and Brent show up with their .60 stuff, but everyone of them said"I gotta get one of those planes man they look like fun"....a good time was had by all...Rog
Oh see you guys tomorrow!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:15 PM
rainedave

Valor, Baby! Valor! Instead of ramming my plane into rog and/or Bill I instinctively tucked it in. That's right. I'm willing to sacrifice my beloved model for the sake of my flying buddies.[X(]
Old 12-30-2006, 05:25 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The weather has been stellar the last few weeks. I have flown more since T-day than I have all year. I went out last night and had my F-20 confirmed by radar at breaking the dollar bill mark finally. I am still too shakey with the Predator to get close enough to the gun but it is considerably faster[8D]
Old 12-30-2006, 05:50 PM
rainedave

vic, when I get the UFO flying we'll need to get together and clock it. I'm pretty certain it will do over 100 easily. Maybe Deadstik knows how fast they go?

Name:	Zx72657.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	586806  
Old 12-30-2006, 06:08 PM
flyinrog

Well today wasnt quite as fun..I meet Bill leaving as I pull up, bummer, he had plans though..so I unload the rivets the extra and the shrike..no muffler bolts (on the extra) so I decide to fly w/o, it cranks up fine and Banjo goes to throw it and it dies, same thing the 2nd time..Dave (local guru) says without the muff it needs to be richer...which means mooaa powahh! it is a big handful and I had the ele on high rates and didnt realize it until I was deadstickin it in[sm=confused_smile.gif]
I was ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!the parkin lot , the field, the pitts, I kept it in the air until it ran out, but my knees were knockin for a while,,then I couldnt get the Rivets or the shrike started but I didnt really care..... anybody know if a OS muffler will fit a Magnum .15 ?..Tower says it may but its also heavier...No Crashes though...Rog
Old 12-30-2006, 06:34 PM
rainedave

Sounds like I missed a real show! Still, the weather was great and I wish I had charged some batteries.

The Sun Fli broke right at the wing bolt mount. The two pieces fit back together like a puzzle. I smeared a bit of epoxy around the joints for safe measure, but the entire repair took less than ten minutes. There's something to be said about not building too strong. If the wing bolt block had been more rigid the wing might have broken instead of popping loose. Funny, my Lil' Miss Martha broke exactly the same way at the reedy race.

I use a square post with a threaded hole for the wing bolt. This way I still have room on either side for the aileron push rods. And, they have proven to snap loose upon impact, saving the wing from damage. (No, I'm not trying to be like Pete Townsend; the "5" is the model number in my radio. Townsend would have smashed the plane to bits.)

Name:	Hf97716.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	586834  
Old 12-30-2006, 09:19 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They fit Rog.
Dave, I will see if I can borrow the gun for the race. You gotta be pretty close to get a reading tho and it's kinda scarry to do with a 100 mph projectile.
Just started work on my SAT-6 racer for next year.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:55 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rog,you have nerves of steel!The inverted pass 10 foot off the deck over the pits was awesome!
All kidding aside,you never panicked and flew it back into the pattern like a pro!I wish I had gotten there earlier.I love the Shrike Bill,thanks for letting me get my feet wet!I'm glad it didn't lean out with me.[X(]Dave you make some beautiful airplanes dude!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:42 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Rog, I guess thats one way of staying within the clubs guidlines. You may not pass the Db test but at least the plane was equipped with the required equipment!

Robert