Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
 Colorful Cox engines in display boxes >

Colorful Cox engines in display boxes

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Colorful Cox engines in display boxes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 AM
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorful Cox engines in display boxes

I have seen several Cox engines over the past year or so like this one currently offered for sale:

eBay 220066948881

Looking closely, the box appears to have originally been intended to hold some sort of sports collectable. Are these engines actually original Cox factory display items, or are they recently made up (and if so, by who)?

I just thought that someone here might know the story...

Arlen

Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Colorful Cox engines in display boxes

It's so pathetic to see the COXamania unfold. The mentality behind misrepresenting goods that are part of our great hobby is sad enough, but what is even more sad is that there is a market ready to eat this crap by the shovel full.

I don't care how it's gift wrapped, ported or lapped....it's still just an eight dollar hunk of crap.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:30 AM

cp....just because the throttle wasn't terribly effective and it wasn't much more powerful than an .049 reedie doesn't make it crap.....at least it was reliable!

As far as that Ebay item.....I don't know much about this sort of thing, but it smells slightly rancid to me....
Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 AM

Arlen,

I don't know who made these engines to start with but this seller has had several on eBay over the last year or so. They all have been anodized and in those really nice display cases. They are NOT factory just something that someone spent alot of time making. I wolud love to use those type of cases for my engines but they are pretty pricey so that is why I use my red tin boxes with the window on top.

LAter,
Tim
Old 01-04-2007, 09:16 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Someone went to a lot of trouble to make the box, but why in h*ll would you do that to a Queen Bee?! Might as well put a dress on a pig.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:46 AM
My Feedback: (192)

You Cox knockers don't know squat!
If you can't get a Cox engine to perform you probably never even started one.
If you have and could not get it to run you are not very smart.
I was making them scream when I was a kid in 1968 with no help from anyone.

You also fail to understand and appreaciate why they are liked by so many.
Many of us got our start in the hobby with a Cox engine because they were the best engine around for the price
and they were availabe at any five and dime. Holding a good ol' Cox engine takes me back to 1968
and the memories of my late brother Steve and I getting after it with a couple of Black Widow powered Lil Satans.
Try and be a little less narrow minded in you comments.
They only show yourself to be just that.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:48 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cox Knockers, Bahahaha,,your preachin to the choir here boy..I know every one here got their first REAL blood blister from a cox engine!!,,It may be that we've started enough of em that we just dont quite appreciate them as much any more.....I didnt even bother to look up the bay item, I just picture in my mind what Tim W. can do with one and I doubt its any better, except I guess the box...I see your pretty new here...welcome to the Coxist/Norvelite world of disappearing 1/2A engines....Rog
Old 01-06-2007, 10:02 AM

glowhead,

Dude ..before you come in here running off at the mouth you need to understand who we are. You will not find a bigger bunch of 1/2a Cox engine freaks anywhere on the internet..period!!!! It's like this I am only 32 years old and I have forgot more about Cox engines than you will ever know! No one in this thread was knocking Cox engines so I have no idea what you are talking about. So with that said get your Cox out of YOUR narrow minded arse before you make comments like that again.

Oh and FWIW the engine listed at the opening of this thread, the Queen Bee .074 is in fact the biggest pile of crap Cox ever made. Even the designers that made it have said so!!!!!!

LAter,
Tim
Old 01-06-2007, 10:29 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a minute Tim! You've gone too far. I happen to like the Cox Queen Bee .074. A great little engine! You are just not using it correctly. Use the throttle lever holes to put your line through and it makes a excellent weight for surf fishing! Even used it years ago for some deep water cat fishing at the river. The best fishing weight ever made!!!! Unfortunatelly I threw away that box!!!

PS: I think the castor is a secret fish attracting chemical!!

Bob Harris
Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: iglowhead

You Cox knockers don't know squat!
If you can't get a Cox engine to perform you probably never even started one.
If you have and could not get it to run you are not very smart.
Hello iglowhead --

Welcome to the forum -- and stick around awhile. I think you will find most of the fella's here are pretty knowledgable. Don't mind CombatPigg, he's just doing his homework for his Assertiveness Training Class. Realistically, CP has probably run more engines to destruction than most folks have seen. But, as he noted, the QB had one of the poorest power/weight ratios in the COX stable -- looked nice, ran poorly WRT power.

The bottom line is simply when Roy Cox was no longer involved with the organization, engine development stopped -- and that engine you ran in '68 is essentially the same design today. Most of us have a drawer(s) full of COX engines, but performance and functionality outweigh nostalgia. If there is a COX question, then someone here has probably done it, run it, broken it and fixed it.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:16 AM

Listen here Bob... who the heck uses a Queen Bee for a Cat fishing weight? Like really! Gees...everyone knows you use OK .09's for that

Later,
Tim
Old 01-06-2007, 11:23 AM

IGH, you missed the point of my rant entirely. Try to open your mind, be less defensive and then you will become more receptive to abstract ideas.

No one else said anything about my Cox poem [&o]. I thought it was pretty good........
Old 01-06-2007, 01:07 PM

Well, I have to laugh a bit here. My first cox experience was 1964, my first engine. I got very profficient at running them, reworking them, breaking them, racing them untill the russian engines became available to the masses. Strange to see a guy try to offend everyone ever involved with a cox project in one post and try to establish himself as the king of all knowledge Cox related. LOL, talk about narrow minded, but I have to admit he is very focused in his intent.
Now, back on topic...As far as the Queen bee.......I forgot about that little failure of cox products... that guy on ebay makes a cute box though.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Who's the King of all Knowledge Cox related? I have my idea of who he is here and think he does an amazing job of keepng all the little details straight.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:30 PM

I'm confused. I thought iglowhead was proclaiming that position by his above post. Maybe he Jests? Anyway,
I got so intrigued, I dug out the ole queenbee I have, ya know what, That thing still sucks even after it aged form yrs of none use lol
Old 01-06-2007, 05:28 PM

Unlike a fine wine your Queen Bee won't get better with time

LAter,
Tim
Old 01-06-2007, 07:17 PM

Well, I think both Tim and Dickeybird would be hard to beat in a game of COX-JEOPARDY. I'm sure IGLOOHEAD has his share of COX knowledge too. The point of this thread, the way I see it is that the EBAY seller is trying to burn some unsuspecting buyer with all this hype about how pretty the engine is and about what a uniquely rare display model it is. The seller isn't speaking to anyone knowledgeable about COX engines. I see it as a predatory attempt to trick someone into buying his worthless lump of metal for 10 times what it is worth. The word is also out now, don't joke about COX engines cuz it makes some guys vewwy, vewwy, angwwy!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:20 PM

I don't care who makes it, an engine is just a lump of metal....
Old 01-06-2007, 07:46 PM

well, maybe you've never fired up a Cyclon?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:05 PM

cp, my point is that if someone's world shudders to it's foundation over something like this, there are deeper issues to be addressed.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:06 PM

Wait a second does that mean the box is more valuable then the engine itself i mean your not going to keep it in the box forever am i right.

It says that it is a display engine does that mean your not allowed to put into a model or something? it sure would look pretty

And BTW Toad has mentioned russian engines im just curious how those russian engines were in comparison to cox were they better worst ?

and were they fired with deisel fuel?

Please people im no expert in these engines but sure love them so dont make fun of me

Regards Tomm
Old 01-06-2007, 09:26 PM

This forum isn't for those deeper issues. We have tried to address those deeper issues and got shut down. I'm not complaining, RCU isn't for that kind of thing and we all know that. In the meantime when something model related comes up that seems underhanded, below board, wormy, etc., how are we supposed to react to it then? Just blow it off?

TG, The seller of the QueenBee must realize that if he is going to get $60 for an engine that probably doesn't run well enough to get a plane off the ground, he is going to have to pretend to play dumb about its' airworthyness and sell it based soley on its' prettyness.

The Russian engines are your Norvels, VAs, Cyclons and Foras. The actual countrymen where Cyclon and Fora are made might not want to be called Russian, but I think they are made in one of the satellite countries that border on Russia.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:11 PM

k cool thx
Old 01-06-2007, 10:13 PM
My Feedback: (50)

Oh great, it was nice to get some answers to my question regarding the pretty boxed Cox engine!

I have seen several other Cox engines with the same style of display box, and I thought that perhaps these engines might have been more than the work of some creative entrepreneur.
(There was a TD .09 display boxed just like the Queen Bee on ebay pictured here on an RCU classified. I asked the seller about it. He said that the engine pictured wasn't the actual engine he was selling. He assured me that his engine was just the same though - only that his engine wasn't in a box and it wasn't anodized...!)

I guess that feelings regarding Cox engines can run fairly strong. I suspect that these feelings go back to our beginnings as modelers, and that no one is going to get away with disrupting any deeply felt memories or opinions regarding them.

Arlen
Old 01-06-2007, 10:34 PM
My Feedback: (5)

TG, of the engines CP mentioned, the Norvel and VA aren't available. Both were comparable in cost and performance. The cyclon and fora are extremely high performance engines that are very reliable. That translates into verrrrry expensive! If you can get your hands on a TD, Norvel or VA you will have a fantastic sport engine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.