Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Surestart upgrades?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Surestart upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:26 AM
JasonFalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surestart upgrades?

Hi, I know theres already been a post like this but I cant find it. Anyway, Are there any upgrades you can put on a surestart for more power?Also, what size spinners work best on these engines? I have a dubro 1 1/2 spinner, and that just shakes the crap out of my plane. Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Surestart upgrades?

Yes. Our very own Tim Wiltse turns the lowly Sure Starts into true wonders:

http://www.hypercolor.biz/
Old 01-16-2007, 10:53 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Jason, peak performance can be obtained without huge modifications. Make sure that you are running the right prop (like an APC 5.7x3 or Cox 5x3) and using good fuel. I like 35% with the bottle topped off with castor. After that, mylar reeds are supposed to be a "hop-up". Not a whole lot after that is easy or for most applications worth the trouble. Somewhere, there is a sheet of performance mods for Cox engines. I'm looking for it...
Old 01-16-2007, 11:07 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JasonFalls

Hi, I know theres already been a post like this but I cant find it. Anyway, Are there any upgrades you can put on a surestart for more power?Also, what size spinners work best on these engines? I have a dubro 1 1/2 spinner, and that just shakes the crap out of my plane. Any suggestions?
Re spinners - plastic spinners in general are crap on small engines and higher rpms. Every one I ever put on a 1/2A caused notable vibration problems. Do you actually need a 1-1/2" diameter spinner for that wee engine? I loathe spinners on small engines as a rule, but yeah, certain aircraft obviously need them. I use aluminum spinners nearly exclusively on anything larger, and only when necessary, again due to potential vibration issues. ACE made/makes some smaller plastic spinners for 1/2A's, but I wasn't fond of the one I had for similar reasons.

This is a really good question, so not to repeat/highjack your inquiry, but who does make good quality, SMALL aluminum spinners?

I see a thread here on the same subject..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39.../tm.htm#397493

MJD
Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
dieFluggeister

I did some simple mods a while back that involved allowing the engine to breathe better, like removing the intake screen and tapering the intake port from having square edges to a bell shape. Along with PT's suggestion I might also mention balancing the prop and I have personally gotten more whoopies out of APC brand than others. I also remove the NV seal and spring and replace them with a piece of fuel tubing to limit vibration and air leaks giving more consistant runs and settings. Of course setting the piston ball helps a bunch too and is nearly required on the latest sets of motors. Experimenting with shims and fuel mixes can yield good results too. I got some running 24K static this way.

Other mods that are not so easy are cutting the exhaust slits for sub piston induction, and grinding/balancing the crank. When done right, they seem to help, when done wrong they can make the engine a nice paper weight and guys disagree about them. Stick to the easy stuff and you'll be pleased.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
JasonFalls

Do you actually need a 1-1/2" diameter spinner for that wee engine?
well, that was the smallest my LHS had. how do you reset the piston ball?
I have also heard that the TD heads give it more power-is this true?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
burtcs

Jason

TD heads are for TD's so not true. The biggest bang for the buck is a Galbreath head for Nelson plugs and of course a Nelson glowplug. Add a Cox 5-3 Rubber ducky prop, 35% Nitro and the engine will be good for about 18K+ rpms.

This will not break the bank, the head costs $10.00 and the plugs are $3.75 each. Buy more than one plug. These are availible form Galbreath or Larry Driskill at "Kitting it Together'. I can't help you with a ball socket tool. Make your own, buy one on eBark or buy one from Davis Diesel.

After that it takes real nit picking of parts, experice and bench running with a tach. to sniff out more. Do you have it?

HTH - Steve B.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:17 PM
ptulmer

Jason, just about any head is better than the original SS head. Look for a TD head or a Galbreath head w/ Nelson plugs or Tim's Turbo head.

http://www.hypercolor.biz/Products.html

https://ssl10.mysecureserver.com/kit...dex_store.html
Old 01-16-2007, 06:21 PM
dieFluggeister

how do you reset the piston ball?

Resetting the piston ball and socket joint takes a special tool that can be found at Davis diesel or you can make your own if you are good at machining. You can search on this forum for "socket reset tool" and should find a lot of info. I'm on vacation and not on my computer so I dont have pics of what I'm talking about.... any of you guys help him out?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which Nelson plug is better for sport flying, the HD or Hot? I assume the Hot is for lower nitro fuel.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:15 PM
burtcs

RD

All I've ever used is the standard so I don't know. Since Nelson no longer makes the std. I'll be trying the heavy duty plug when I need more. (the one with the ring/groove cut into it)

Regards - Steve B.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
JasonFalls

I have the tank conversion kit for the SS. Does the end of the supplied fuel line go towards the front of the tank or towards the rear?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:58 PM
ptulmer

Bottom rear for R/C and sideways for C/L.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:52 PM
JasonFalls

thanks!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:09 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: burtcs

RD
All I've ever used is the standard so I don't know. Since Nelson no longer makes the std. I'll be trying the heavy duty plug when I need more. (the one with the ring/groove cut into it)

Regards - Steve B.
I've been told they work just fine for full bore operation, however in throttled applications transitions suffer a bit in comparison to the standard plugs. I can't confirm that from first hand experience, I got a bunch not too long ago but have not tested this out. Woulb be interesting to know if anyone has some experience to share on this subject.