Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Register here for a Rudder Only model cookup

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Register here for a Rudder Only model cookup

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:27 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Register here for a Rudder Only model cookup

Bruce, you know you can count on me for hosting them! If you've registered on my site, you can even upload them into the repository yourself!
Old 01-22-2007, 11:11 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think something else that deserves to be mentioned is wingtip washout. I feel that this will play an important part as well. I may be all wet about this because wsith the additional dihedral a R/O model generally has tip stalling may not be as much of a problem as a plane with little or no dihedral.
Can anyone straighhten me out here?

Of course there other factors such as wing taper, airfoil, aspect ratio and whether the tips are round, square or eliptical.

I am not a great designer and still need to learn a lot. enlighten me!

Robert
Old 01-22-2007, 11:33 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in! I have an old Ace system here somewhere... and a Jr. Falcon or Minnie Mambo.

Anyone know how I can rig up an electric motor for a predetermined engine run time?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:41 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

OK boys, go here and poke around, some are PDFs, some are tiffs, some are giffs,
whatever I had that was layin' around. Some are actually designed for Galloping Ghost
(but hey, that's still single channel, right?)

http://my.pclink.com/52/87/dfritzke/rudder/

Some have been on my site before, some not.

BUT I'm holding out on one that I ran across, saving it for myself, heh heh heh.

If you have trouble with a particular format, let me know and I'll make PDF's of them.

AND if someone wants to contribute something, e-mail it to me and I'll put it in there too
or post it to ptulmers site. You may want TilePrint to "scale" some of this stuff or resize
it to your liking!

Dave
Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 AM
mylamo

Maybe my memory is faulty , but I seem to remember
a real hot rod R.O. plane kitted by Ambroid called the
Charger.
Ralph
Old 01-23-2007, 01:22 AM
burtcs

2fast:

Rig up a 555 timer chip and power transistors with your predetermined delay. Then enjoy...

HTH - Steve B.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:07 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: mylamo

Maybe my memory is faulty , but I seem to remember
a real hot rod R.O. plane kitted by Ambroid called the
Charger.
Ralph
That was a slightly larger one at 4 foot span for a 15 to 19. I've got the article that originally came out in the old American Modeler or similar way back when. It's a slick one and would be great if it was scaled down to 1/2A at around 36 inch span.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:13 AM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: 2fast

I'm in! I have an old Ace system here somewhere... and a Jr. Falcon or Minnie Mambo.

Anyone know how I can rig up an electric motor for a predetermined engine run time?
If you're going to stick with the pulse system then I've got something for you. But if you want to go modern then we've already opened the door to use throttle as a cut off only sort of deal.

The values shown will give about 60 to 90 seconds as I recall. A larger capacitor or a larger resistor or both will easily give you up to 3 minutes wihtout much problem. But at that point the run down will taper off to nothing over about a 10 second period. So that'll give you lots of warning. And of course it only works with brushed motors... I've made 3 of them so far and they all worked like a charm. Now I just need to make some free flight scale stuff to put them into.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a better copy that you can print out. It'll be a zip with the original dxf as well as a tiff image. The same offer goes for the rest of you as well.

If you need something to handle more than about 7 amps then just parallel two of the FET's.

PT, thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41038.gif
Views:	27
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	604766  
Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I like most about this venture is its similarity to free flight. You basically need to trim the models to glide before doing powered flights and to climb under power.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:02 PM
GrahamC

Sign me up too!

No guarantee that I will finish on time however.

I have been considering building anothe RO lately having messed about with them on and off over the years.

I have a BMJR Dakota that I was considering adding RO to mostly so because I don't want to have to chase it too far. Not really in the spirit of what has been posted so far but still it would be RO (no throttle PEE WEE powered or maybe detuned Babe Bee/Golden Bee).

I do another plan however. In an old issue of one of the British model magazines was a small free flight design called the Elfette. Very old timer like in looks biplane. I have this scaled up to 1/2a size and I think would make a nice RO type. I will start cutting wood for this one tonight.

I will have to find some other time to slot in my Buzzard Bombshell (not RO though) later on. First things first, and what is more important that building an RO just for the fun of it?

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
burtcs

Bruce:

Your right as always, this is a 1/2A forum. I got pumped in the sprit of RO single channel excitment, the HEP CAT and 09 to 20 something engine is a bit big for here. I was looking for an excuse to build it but I'm finishing up a SIMPLEX so that would be redundat. I'll find another excuse to do it.

So with that in mind I'll will build another Cleveland VIKING (scratch) with an Indian Mills 1.3, much smaller, we whine about 09's amd such all the time.

RD:

your right of course, RO single channels are over glorified trimmed free flights, have much lower power levels, and you can steer them. Now the cats outta the bag. I'm in...

HTH - Steve B.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 PM
BMatthews

Graham, an RO Dakota would be sweet!

Steve, scale the Hepcat down then.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:34 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

In my earlier post I talked about getting hit on 27 megs by Mexican CB. If any of you are using the old Ace radios the problem is with 27.255 only and not the other 27 meg frequencies.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: burtcs
your right of course, RO single channels are over glorified trimmed free flights, have much lower power levels, and you can steer them. Now the cats outta the bag. I'm in...
HTH - Steve B.
Steve, that is for the most part true. But RO can be as wild as you can stand. I have a Pageboy with a 50 mil bat and micro equip that will loop right out of your hand on launch (unless you are quick on the rudder). You have a tiger by the tail for 90 sec. A long time to hold your breath and not blink. Steering is out of the question, you are just trying to mix rolls, loops, etc to keep it over the field and save it. Afterwards, there are the usual comments, 'How do you do all that with rudder only?'. Little do they know. NOW thats a lot of fun!
Al
Old 01-23-2007, 11:45 PM
BMatthews

Big Al, my Mini Reb gets like that after the first spiral dive. Once it's got a head of steam up it's like the Devil incarnate. I need to turn it off the top of a loop or force it into an opening upward spiral to get it tamed back to a normal climb.

Great fun isn't it?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:43 AM
build light

There was a fella back where I come from that was pretty big on the smallish stuff, unusual oddities, oldies and R/O. All the fellas in the club loved him to death and hehad a small garage Hobby shop stocking virtually everything Ace had, incl. the Rand and Cannon stuff. He rarely came to the field without at least one R/O ship and always someting out of the ordinary!

He had an Ace Littlest Stick with a Tee Dee .010 that sounds just like Bruce's Mini Reb. it was quite fast and the only time it ever flew anything that looked like normal flying was a few seconds after take off and shortly after the engine ran out of joy juice and slowed a little bit for the glide back to earth! it was a real sight to see! Engine runs were only about 2 min. long but I promise those were 2 minutes you could not afford to blink! It was all over the sky and was only right side up for a millisecond at a time!
You know how some people "dance" a little, when things get a little hairy? Not Art. He would always be cool as a cucumber the whole time. I wondered if it was freezing from from fright. Knees and legs simply locking up, you understand. You might actually think that, except it was one of his favorite planes to fly. You could almost always count on it being at the field for years.

For the uninitiated, you would never guess that this plane had only a GG in it!

Robert
Old 01-24-2007, 07:25 AM
GrahamC

ORIGINAL: burtcs

Your right as always, this is a 1/2A forum. I got pumped in the sprit of RO single channel excitment, the HEP CAT and 09 to 20 something engine is a bit big for here. I was looking for an excuse to build it but I'm finishing up a SIMPLEX so that would be redundat. I'll find another excuse to do it.

So with that in mind I'll will build another Cleveland VIKING (scratch) with an Indian Mills 1.3, much smaller, we whine about 09's amd such all the time.
I have always considered 1/2a to be just that one half of A and the limit of A being .1999 cui then .09 and squeak in a .10 definately fit and some of the very nice Enya .11 or MVVS / Modela .12's do to.

I have always like the Hep Cat but have only found reduced size plans for it. Maybe one day I will enlarge and build one. I hesitate to put any more on my "to build someday" list. It is already so large I fear that the list alone will cause my work bench to collapse

cheers, Graham

Old 01-24-2007, 03:37 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Did any of you guys know Myron Carey?
I have a `Lil Esquire built by him...has an Enya .09 on it...silk-n-doped...would make a nice rudder only job wouldn't it?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:59 PM
BMatthews

That would be delightful. The Esquire is a classic.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:22 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Yep, my Little Esquire here is silk and dope. Cox Medallion .049 mounted on Cox fuel tank. Ace pulser single channel radio. Great flying fun and easy to trim!!

Bob Harris

Name:	Ge94881.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	605762  
Old 01-24-2007, 04:42 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Nice
Myron however used to like to put a Mooney* style fin/rudder on most of his planes. I wonder how that would effect things?

*Like the Mooney 1:1 scale aircraft...it has a straight up or vertical L.E. on the vert. fin, and the hinge line is swept forward...

Hmmm???

He's got it set-up for 3 channels now, but no there's radio in it. It had a World Engines S-5 servo (on the throttle ) in it when I got it (remember those?)
Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
build light

I happened to run across a couple of things today.

First was the Sig Doubler introduced in 1969. The ad is from Sept. 1969. This is not to be confused with the Doubler 2 which was apparantly derived from this model. States the ad: Designed by Brad Shepard and spanning 37 1/2" was for .09 engines and great for GG and small multis. Whith minor modification could be used for quarter midget racing. It seems the Doubler quickle took the latter route and became the Doubler 2. Plans for the original Doubler may be a bit hard to find. Looks like it could do some aerobatics pretty well and looks pretty spiffy.

The other was a sheet glider designed for R/O and shows an optional .020 power pod. As a glider it may not stunt as well because of the winspan. Shorter wings would fare better but I thought it might interest someone anyway. Looks easy to build.

proptop, The Mooney style rudder would place a slight bit of downforce on the tail much like the coupled rud/ele I mentioned earlier. I could see this would not be the best choice because this action would help keep the nose from dropping when you went into a turn.
The nose drop is actually a desireable thing (as I understand it) as you go into a turn because it builds up speed quicker for the stunts.
I hope I am hitting this one corectly. Remember I am learning too!

I do know that when you give rudder one way or the other this gives more lift to one wing panel and less to the panel on the inside of the turn. When you do this the nose will drop (normally) which we normally counter with a touch of up ele. to keep turns flat. A rudder swept rearward like a Cessna would help drop the nose more quickly thus building up desired (in R/O flying for stunting) airspeed. This at least is the theory as I understand it.

Robert

Name:	Tr50425.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	605842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93773.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	605843  
Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 PM
BMatthews

The setup on the Doubler requires an elevator. It was flown on Galloping Ghost and that implies elevator. This is not to say that with some design mods that it could not fly RO but as presented on the plans it's not ready for it.

The Capstan is cute though. And for the timid among you it would make a good RO trainer.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:12 AM
rc doc

I guess that I will have to find and clean up my ACE Whizzard. Ace pulse radio and Baby Bee 0-49 for power. I put it up several years ago when the Air Force puy a 300 foot limit on our flying site. It was a ball to fly and some people coud not believe that i only had rudder control. I also have my Galloping Ghost radio and actuator. I flew it in a Goldberg baby Falcon with a Fox 10 RC on the front.
Those were the days. Dramatic things happened when you changed the throttle. I have an .o2o powered Miss America that I added an elevator to that I can change back. Keep this thread going.
How would a Littlest Stick with light weight receiver and one servo work? I will have to copy my kit.
RC DOC - John J. Smith
Old 01-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Hey, I just had an idea! Yeah really.

Ok I admit that I may be well known hyar 'bouts as an extremely macho, manly, hairy-chested bulldog of a guy - even though I look cute and cuddly on the outside. But I have scads of 1/2A prop-cut scars on my fingers to prove how tough and hard-headed I can be. Yet there are times when I take the “soft” path to learning and wisdom. Here’s my idea. . .

What if I connect the elevator servo to the throttle pin in my old RE Sharkface (not Sheet, Shark). That way I could use the trims to ‘fix’ the elevator and fly with the rudder only – but still chicken out (no, forget I said that) – but still provide a measure of fail-safe in the event of faint hearted-ness. Ooo, ooo, Mr. Cott-aire, I bet I could hook up a switch on the transmitter to put it back to normal if I wanted to.

This way I could have an RO rig ready in time for the Super Bowl. Two, two, two thrills in one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.