Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

A few questions about 1/12 HOB P-51

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

A few questions about 1/12 HOB P-51

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Cobra289

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A few questions about 1/12 HOB P-51

Any ideas for a steerable tail wheel???
Old 02-25-2007, 08:05 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many ways to set up a steerable tail wheel. With the P-51 you have to decide if you want it in the scale location (more difficult) or extending off of the rudder (the more common method and much easier). For the second method simply secure a piece of wire along the rudder hinge line with the end bent 90 degrees and inserted into the rudder (similar to the way the aileron torque rods attach to the ailerons). The other end simply extends down and is bent to form an axle for the wheel. When the rudder is deflected, the tail wheel is, too.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Cobra289

The tail wheel at the rudder sounds good but i have seen planes with tail wheels right on the rudder joint break the rudder off easily on ruff landings.....Thanks thought i think i will go with the tail wheel rudder location
Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Here's a picture of exactly what I was describing. The nylon hinge thing goes into the fuselage, the 90 degree bend in the wire goes into the rudder:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ931&P=7
Old 02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
hogflyer

I've used that style of tail wheel before. If there is any doubt on the strength of the tail, scarf 1/32 piece of plywood on each side of the rudder where the wire will penetrate. I had a tail wheel wire break out of a rudder on a plane that was flown out of a very rough pasture and this stopped the wire from breaking out of the rudder after that.

Hogflyer
Old 02-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

I've used that style of tail wheel before..........

If there is any doubt on the strength of the tail, scarf 1/32 piece of plywood on each side of the rudder where the wire will penetrate.
The only problem I've run into with that type of tailwheel mount occurs if the hinge line of the mount does not exactly match the hinge line of the rudder. If the wire is glued into the rudder, it can cause some binding. I inlet a short piece of tubing, usually a piece of nyrod or pushrod tubing, that has an ID just larger than the diameter of the tailwheel wire. The tubing serves as a sleeve and lets the wire float so there is no binding when the rudder swings. If I ever need to replace the hinges, I don't have to remove the tailwheel or break up the rudder the get the wire loose.

I then follow HF's advice and scarf a piece of plywood on either side of the rudder.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Cobra289

Cool Thanks for all the help. Greatly apreciated.=-}