Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

AP Wasp .061 wont start

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP Wasp .061 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 04:36 PM
jerusha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP Wasp .061 wont start

i have a brand new ap wasp that i bought for my LST trainer. i am using the right prop, the right fuel, the right fuel tank, and a kwik klip glow starter. i have tried about 60 times to start it. it doesnt flood, it doesnt smoke, and it certainly doesnt start. i am at the end of my rope here. i am new to nitro and have almost no idea what i am doing. could someone please help by possibly identifing the problem. i spin it with a starter and nothing happens. i even bought a 1-1/4 spinner so i could use a bigger starter. what is wrong.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:55 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: AP Wasp .061 wont start

The first question I was going to ask you before I read your post was, can you get it to flood? I would look into that situation first. These engines SHOULD flood very easily. Get some fuel flow established. Make sure you got a strong glow on the plug and that all parts on the engine are snug.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Sneasle

I assume that you have followed the instructions that came with it regarding the needle valve and everything else relating to starting. Do you have the tank at the correct height in relation to the carb? Sometime this little bit of information is left out of engine manuals. If the orientation is not correct, the engine will either get too much fuel or not enough. This can be a big problem on smaller engines where the muffler pressure might not be enough to compensate.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:30 PM
burtcs

jerusha:

Do you have a bright orange glow to the plug and does it sizzle?

regards - Steve B.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jerusha

i spin it with a starter and nothing happens. i even bought a 1-1/4 spinner so i could use a bigger starter. what is wrong.
Dump the starter for the time being -- a bigger starter is not the solution and may damage your engine if it floods.

Take the spinner off -- it's just extra weight right now -- and you can more easily flip the engine thru without a spinner.

Flipping the engine with your finger over the carb mouth will usually pull fuel to the carb -- do you have fuel all the way to the spray bar nipple?

Drop 2 drops of fuel (max of 3) directly into the carb mouth and flip 2 to 4 times to distribute without your igniter attached. Attach the igniter and flip smartly. For me, having the prop horizontal when it comes on compression gives me the best flip speed. When flipping the prop, I usually place my finger near the prop hub and snap it thru. Having your finger close to the hub will give the best rotational speed.

If you can get the engine to run on prime first, you can deal with setting the mixture later. Running on prime will establish that you have sufficient compression and plug heat to run.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:01 AM
mylamo
My Feedback: (1)

Ahh, starters . Instant success or instant failure .
Maybe since all the manufacturing has gone
overseas at least one of the importers would
think enough of their customer base to supply
a well written instruction sheet. Nah
Ralph