Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

UCTKAM .15

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:54 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UCTKAM .15

I just bought one off that "famous" auction site...20 bucks, never been run, FIRE .15 glow...
I don't know anything about it but I figured for that price, I'd go for it...(it looks like a C/L speed engine?)

Anybody have any info about it/them?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UCTKAM .15

proptop,

I have never heard of anyone getting one to run without major reworking! I have one myself and it broke head screws just trying to take it apart. Oh and it weighs as much as a Buick! DO a search here on this forum we had a thread a year or more ago about them!

LAter,
Tim
Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Got one, new, off the 'bay site. Came with a pipe. Never heard anything good about them, but mine runs fine. About 17K without the pipe, & 25K with the pipe. Fuel was 5% nitro, Prop was 6x4 MAS. .... 5&3/4 oz without pipe, and 7&1/2 with the pipe. Never did put it in a plane. Plane would have to be small & slippery. .................... George K.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:01 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its the one I'm thinking off they were a rather cheap Russian copy of the Rossi 15 (more or less) and became available in the west in the late 80's early 90's from several sources. Piped and intended for C/L speed or racing. I suppose if you had the know how and wre prepared to do quite a bit of fiddling and rework, and had several so that you had a supply of parts, you could get one performing quite well.
The design seems to have evolved into the MDS 15-which looked very similar, though the current MDS 15 is a bit different, though the lineage is clear. The Ucktam 15 I have in mind had a red anodised head insert retaining ring, and a red anodised venturi.
Thee was also a cheapish Ucktam 15 F2D Combat motor available in the very early 90's that was quite a different engine. Short and compact, though still front induction. Comparable with the widely produced Typhoon 15 combat motor for price and power. I used a particularly good example of the latter in F1C in the early 90's and it would significantly out-turn a Cox Conquest and a Rossi on a 7x2 3/4 F1C prop. IIRC Ucktam also made a 'fishing sinker' 1.5cc rear drum valve motor in diesel and glow variants that had a steel front housing!
Your Ucktam is unlikely to have much R/C application unless you have a 15 sized racing or pylon class locally. [but if you want to get your feet wet in C/L speed-then its about as cheap as you'll get..........]

'ffkiwi'
Old 06-09-2007, 08:57 AM
proptop

Thanks guys...
This one has a (rather rough by comparison ) sand cast finish, and is probably like the Rossi copy? Short venturi, all natural alum. parts, no anodizing.
It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, we'll see how it runs. I have a pipe, but will prob. need to make a header?

I was thinking of putting it in a .10 sized Shrike?
If it doesn't run well, it will go on the display shelf....guess we'll see.
I low-balled the bid at 19.99 and nobody else bid, so...
Guess I know now why nobody else "bought it now" for $29.99 huh!?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:17 AM
on pipe

I bought one of these off of the auction about two years ago. It has a rectangular shaped exhaust port at the rear, with no apparent means of connecting a header. I flipped and flipped, but it wouldn't start. After about a half an hour, I decided it was cheap Russian crap and I might as well get some enjoyment out of my money, so I started to take it apart. I started with the head screws and they were all a half turn loose!
I tightened them up and it started up instantly and ran great. I didn't tach it but it sounded like a screamer. seems to run so good I'm trying to find something to put it on. Ross
Old 06-12-2007, 06:17 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It sounds like if there ever was an engine that you would want to dismantle and thoroughly clean before firing up, it's this one.
If I'm not mistaken, Uctkam is Russian for "vomit".
Old 06-12-2007, 08:56 PM
proptop

Mine sounds like the one you have On Pipe...no exhaust stack...just a rectangular opening at the rear, that follows the curvature of the cylinder.

First thing I did was take it apart and clean everything. There was a lot of gray metallic schmutz (sp?) in the cranks induction passage that came off with Q-tips and paper towels. Then I flushed it out w/ brake parts cleaner. (no broken screws )

There's a rub between the crank and case, but just a light one, and don't think I'll worry about it... just gonna run it on 5% and see what happens.

What size prop(s) should I start with? If it needs to rev, I'm thinking maybe a 7X4? (re-worked Zinger, w/ thinned blades )

To be completely honest with ya, I think it looks like it might run pretty good, (don't know for how long though ) but I don't like the plastic backplate, or un-bushed rod.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I got two of the .09's with the steel front housing. Yep, CP is dead on about the translation. My first clue that something was wrong when I had to drill the prop out to 1/4" or so to get it to fit. Being rather stubborn, I still tried to run it. I'm glad it never fired. There wasn't enough prop hub left to hold it together. I had one of those "fits" that played itself out and I managed to get through it without any scars.
After disassembling it, there were several issues that finally showed themselves. First, the needle valve body works like a TD and the holes in the venturi were plugged with .... I don't know what. Second, it wasn't an airplane engine. In order for the bypass to be open to the crankcase, the front needed to be moved to the rear. It was a car/boat engine that they had "reconfigured" to make it look like an airplane engine.
The guy that sells these things oughta be stripped naked and run through the public square. He misrepresents items, which I call "lying".
Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 PM
combatpigg

Patrick, maybe the guys who machined your batch got sent back to the salt mines? Hopefully Proptops' engine was made by someone over there who isn't a suicidal alcoholic. That thought gives me hope that he has at least a 10% chance of having a runner. Proptop, "schmutz" sounds like it might be Yiddish for vomit? Is this engine ABC?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:53 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Here's one like mine. Collectible my @$$.
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/COLLECTABLE-UCTKAM-1-5CC-ENGINE-NEW_W0QQitemZ160122388887QQihZ006QQcategoryZ34055Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem]160122388887[/link]

Here's a link to Proptop's win. Completely different engine. Waaaaay nicer looking.
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/RUSSIAN-UCTKAM-2-5-Glow-engine_W0QQitemZ120127347550QQihZ002QQcategoryZ340 55QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]120127347550[/link]
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 PM
proptop

Yep...that's mine...actually looks like an airplane engine

CP yes, it's ABC and the piston/sleeve fit feels like it should be o.k. after it runs for a while.
I will de-burr a few sharp edges here and there, and I have yet to remove the venturi and check the sprinkler holes.

Edit: Hey...he's got another one up for sale...wonder how many he's got? (one's enough for me )
Old 06-13-2007, 06:29 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: proptop

Yep...that's mine...actually looks like an airplane engine

CP yes, it's ABC and the piston/sleeve fit feels like it should be o.k. after it runs for a while.
I will de-burr a few sharp edges here and there, and I have yet to remove the venturi and check the sprinkler holes.

Edit: Hey...he's got another one up for sale...wonder how many he's got? (one's enough for me )
That's a CL Combat engine called Uctkam 2.5K. I have one with papers. It says .55kW at 22krpm on FAI fuel. 23kRPM on a 190x80, 21500 on a 180x115.

There is another Uctkam 2.5 for CL speed. It is a copy of the Rossi 2.5. I have the latest version that was sold under the MDS label with a pipe. It looks very modern compared to the older ones sold under the Uctkam name.

I have 2 of those Ucktam 1.5 diesels and 1 glow. I've only been able to get a few burbles out of the diesel, broke one, and the glow was used for parts.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Dizzydiesel

Hi all

I've just been playing with my UCTKAM 2.5K (the combat engine) in an old F2D model, using 10% nitro fuel & 7x4 prop. I clock it at just under 3 seconds per lap, which is OK for practice. In my opinion the engine is good value for money, providing you know enough to clean it & fix a few bloopers first. At the price, I'm happy enough to buy two to get one useable engine, with a few spares left over. However, one of my recently purchased engiens has badly cored transfer passages, so would need some work with Dremel to get them about right. You get what you pay for I suppose.

I've also reworked one of the 1.5cc diesels by machining most of the steel front housing off to lighten it & made an aluminum head with brass contrapiston per F2C practice. The venturi is way too big for a diesel, so I've repaled it with one having 2.7mm choke. Turned the exhaust to face forwards, so the intake passage in cranckase lines up. In this configuration it is good for around 0.25 BHP, which aint bad for a 1.5cc diesel. Never the less, a bit heavy for 1/2A Team Racing.

Maris Dislers
Old 08-29-2007, 08:30 AM
lz-23

Actualy, the name of the engine is CSTKM (ЦСТКМ) wich is shortcut for Central Sport Technikal Aviation Motor. The usual misreading is that cyrilik C look almost like U.
The biggest problem with this type of engines form was that most of them use glow-head that is very hard to find and replace. After initial cleanup BEFORE first run and proper tight of all screws, most of them run fine. I've had like 3 or 4 in my hands in the past, but none at the moment. The 1.5cc is more like a kit than actual running engine - can be make to run good, but need a lots of work inside.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:06 PM
DeviousDave

They need a little lovin' and won't run on suction at all, but they can be very fast if you work on them, and still pretty fast if you don't. If you were smart (I'm not apparently), you'd order a standard glow head as the engines were sold in the UK rather than being stuck with the one that we were sold that employs a copy of the Rossi glow head.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:34 PM
proptop

Hey...almost forgot about this thread...
Mine has slightly mis-matched bypass ports, but nothing a little careful Dremel work can't cure. The rest of it looks pretty fair, and for 25 bucks, if it runs the way it looks like it should, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the additional info guys [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 PM
combatpigg

........more digging uncovers this thread of interest
Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 AM
proptop

ummm...???
Which thread...this thread, or is there an invisable link in your post there?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 AM
combatpigg

Stop stalling Proptop and feed us some stats [>:]!!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:00 AM
proptop

I'd actually have to put it back together first I think...
It got shuffled into the "to do" list of projects...which is waaayyy too long...(don't think I'm alone in that boat, huh!? )

I just finished a Patriot XL for a guy...(Jett .90 ) took me all winter to do...

Finally finishing my rather extensively modified Sonic 500...

Unfortuately, this Feb. my mom, who I took care of for years, passed away...and in the months before that I had gotten kind of slowed down and in a bit of a "pit" if ya know what I mean...[]
But now spring is comming...maybe I can "spring" back to life a little bit myself as well and get a few more things accomplished.

Don't hold yur breath waiting for test results (in other words ) CP...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: proptop

I'd actually have to put it back together first I think...
It got shuffled into the "to do" list of projects...which is waaayyy too long...(don't think I'm alone in that boat, huh!? )

I just finished a Patriot XL for a guy...(Jett .90 ) took me all winter to do...

Finally finishing my rather extensively modified Sonic 500...

Unfortuately, this Feb. my mom, who I took care of for years, passed away...and in the months before that I had gotten kind of slowed down and in a bit of a "pit" if ya know what I mean...[]
But now spring is comming...maybe I can "spring" back to life a little bit myself as well and get a few more things accomplished.

Don't hold yur breath waiting for test results (in other words ) CP...
Sorry to hear of your loss PT..I went through that too..and my to do list will last till I retire, and I'm 49 now...strange, funny, crazy (insert adjective here) thing is, I keep buying stuff,, I do get to blame it on ADHD, but I still have waaaay too much stuff...theres an old thread I did on the carnage,, it still looks like that here....Rog

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...tm.htm#5038373

Old 03-14-2008, 11:19 AM
combatpigg

Im sorry to hear about your Mom, Proptop. Hopefully she is off on a new adventure in a better place. There's always a story behind the story, sorry for dredging up this bad news. On a positive note, whenever someone is able to make the transition from the old used up body to the next "assignment", it's really a good thing. I know what you mean about being in the pit, thankfully it is something that can be worked through, it helps to have a highly stressed and demanding job to make those darks days just seem to fly by .
Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 PM
proptop

I hear ya CP...no worries...
She made it to 91, and now she's with my pop...

I'm a believer in when one door closes, another opens...

There's a place here in Rome at (formerly ) Griffiss Air Force Base that refurbishes 747's, 737's some of the Air Bus line, (and others ) and turns them from passenger airliners to cargo use...I'm gonna apply for a job over there soon.