Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

GWS Corsair 1/2a Hack Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

GWS Corsair 1/2a Hack Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Max_Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Corsair 1/2a Hack Thread!

Hey Guys, thought I might give yall a peek at my latest hack. I'm still Stuck here in my chair from foot surgery, So I have a lot of time to work on small stuff. This is a GWS Corsair kit. It is the slope glider version that comes without the motor for about $25-$30. Although it is pretty complete and even comes with the glue . These things are made from the old "beer-cooler" foam and are really a cinch to put together and take well to airbrushing with cheap acrylic paint and turn out looking pretty good!. I have a Me-109 of this series that I've done, although it is brushless powered. For this one I have chosen a AP wasp for power, which i was pretty happy with on the bench runs with 6x2 and 6x3 wood props. I rememmmber getting some decent 14-15K readings during break in without even pushing it on the needle, and after a tank or two these things get a really nice idle. I hope they come back in stock! Anyway, omto the build!!!..

Here first I will give you a view of the basic kit and model. The current corsair is nice as it has the option for either single, or dual aileron setups!
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38390.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	726145  
Old 07-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Max_Power

Default RE: GWS Corsair 1/2a Hack Thread!

Next, a few simple x-acto slices and annd some hinges and the elevator half connecting wire....
[img][/img]

Name:	Yv66245.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	726146  
Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Max_Power

After doing some mock up with the cowl I discovered that the firewall needed to be moved back a bit to get the Wasp placed correctly. Soooooo, Just a little simple bread-slice off the front with my mini-hacksaw...and ...viola!! I can already tell that the weight on this thing is gonna be super-light, I don't have a scale on hand, but comparing to my Electric GWS warbird with a geared himax 2015, I'm estimating it will come out at less than 2/3 the weight!. So I'm really pleased at this point.....more to come....Todd
[img][/img]

Name:	Nl29630.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	726148  
Old 07-19-2007, 10:41 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Max,
May I suggest some filament strapping tape and low-temp film
(Econo-Towerkote/Solarfilm) to finish it off? It will add a little weight, but
a lot of strength.
Dave
EDIT:
Check out this guys fully glassed electric GWS Spitfire build:
http://www.smoothair.ca/content/view/83/43/1/0/
Some good tips in the article.
Too bad that GWS seems to have discontinued this series of planes.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Max_Power

I was considering covering the wing, and the nose of the aircraft, and airbrushing the rest...My covering skills suck though! Perhaps I may tru to do the whole plane...Todd
Old 07-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Max_Power

Here we add a simple 1/8 light ply firewall, mount and the Wasp. And gouge out a area behind it for a 2 Oz. Tank. I cut about 2" off the sharp end of 4 Shish-k-bob sticks and attached them with some epoxt to the back of the firewall before I epoxied the whole thing in place. I figured the "guide-sticks" would help hold the firewall in place while it cured, and add some strength. A simple Dave Brown 05-06 mount made attaching the Wasp easy. For some reason I mounted it inverted, But I can't remember why,lol. I think it was to get good line-up from the clunk to the carb. It will also make the cooling exhaust hole/glow-plug axcess hole easier to hide. You can also see where I've tested a few mixes of Blue above the fuel tank to decide which 2 I want to use. Todd
[img][/img]

Name:	Bz78050.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	726168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41674.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	726169  
Old 07-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Max_Power

Have any of you guys done one of these on 1/2a yet? I'm trying to figure out what to do if anything to the wing incidence, It looks like it has a bit of + built into the kit. I don't know how fast it will really be, but I don't want to have to trim the nose down to get it to fly level, any input? Todd
Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Max, looks like a great project! The gurus of the drug store foamie conversions [to 1/2A power]used to run low nitro and bare foam without any problems, IIRC. If the poster paint camo isn't fuel proof, you could apply swatches of clear packing tape over it, but it is painstaking to do a nice job. I use the cheapest and thinnest tape, it is also the lightest and is very sticky.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Max_Power

Have any of you guys done one of these on 1/2a yet? I'm trying to figure out what to do if anything to the wing incidence, It looks like it has a bit of + built into the kit. I don't know how fast it will really be, but I don't want to have to trim the nose down to get it to fly level, any input? Todd

Looks great so far.
Zeroman converted a GWS Zero to Norvel .074 power. I've seen it fly and it really moves. Here's his conversion thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1086820
Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 PM
flyswatter

MP:

I think I would remove the incidence. I suspect your weight is going to be in the 10-12 oz range and the plane will be fairly quick. If so, then why not have one that tracks. (As they say, "You don't need no stinking incidence".) Oh, one other thing, I think I would keep to the low rate throws - with the speed you will probably be carrying, you are not going to need hi rates.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Max_Power

Thanks guys...from what I've heard glow fuel or exhause won't harm the foam at all...except for just getting oily and greasy over time. The paint I'm using is the PARMA acrylic intended for painting lexan RC car bodies, Which I beleive is glow-fuel proof. I've been doing some experiments with scrap and have found that although there is a slight reaction from the foam to dope, if you put a thin layer on after you have applied this parma paint..there is no problem. I need to do some experiments with the GWS sticker, as I've found a lot of decals don't like dope. I'm putting the paint on this morning, and am close to done for now, as I need to get back to work before I invest in electronics for this thing. I've got a while to experiment on scrap foam before this thing hits the air. If it turns out good in the experiments, I plan on masking off appropriate area, and laying on a coat of thinned dope in my airbrush to fuel-proof it. Anyway, pics coming soon!! Todd
Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Max_Power

So here she is, Finished for now until I finish my fuel-proofing experiments, And get some servos, but pushrods,horns,etc are all done. I wish I had a scale because this thing is LIGHT! Of course it has no electrics , but still!! I think I'm gonna get a Berg Rx so I can run it on a single wafer Li-Po cell at 3.7v. Probably go with some Tower Pro micro servos. I'm really anxious to fly it, Maybe I'll push my other planes REALLY HARD if I go fly this weekend , and see if I can come up with some donor electronics! (: Todd
[img][/img]

Name:	Ki19978.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	726929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24708.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	726930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70229.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	726931  
Old 07-20-2007, 06:07 PM
combatpigg

It looks super Todd.......nice job!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:48 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't chimed in, but I've been watching this thread. This is an inspiring project. Those GWS planes are very affordable, now, I might have to try one, too.

Anyone want to take on their P-38?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:40 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Max, there are some water-based polyurethanes that are fuel proof and friendly to foam. The one I use is found at home depot. Geez, I can't remember the brand, but if you're interested I can make the trip downstairs to look. It's not Minwax, maybe Behr? Bipe Flyer did the original tests IIRC, so maybe he remembers?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:42 PM
ptulmer

Oh yeah, it does look great! But why is the Smurf red?[sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-20-2007, 09:17 PM
combatpigg

I don't care if that water based paint protects the foam from the dope......there still is no way I could bring myself to doping that foamie. I'm sure I tried Minwax and Behr WBPU and both added weight and just generally sucked for fuel proofing. I say just fly it, have fun and if it survives 1000 flights, then fuel proof it for the long haul.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Max_Power

I think you may have the right idea CP. Why try to immortalize a $25 foamie and make it fly like a terd. I think it will combat the oil and fuel ok, and even if it smears itll still fly!. I like the fact that it was a cheap,quick build. Hmm now, I just have to try to figure out what is gonna power the GWS A-10 Warthog kit thats in my closet. For a minute I was thinking a pair of pee wee .020's in the nacelles, but I know I'd never get em both running, so my thoughts have changed to a Tee Dee .049/.051 in the nose, or in a pusher setup between the tails...I guess I need to start building and see how it'd balance out...Maybe one in each end to balance?lol (: Todd
Old 07-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Max_Power

Ohhhh, man!! GWS is killing me...has anyone seen the new Focke-wolf 190?? It's just begging for 1/2a!!!! Looks like GWS has upgraded the wheels as well!! http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=5200 Looks like the T-6 Texan is a new model too!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:06 PM
ptulmer

I didn't think it was new. Tower has already discontinued it and all the other warbird slopers. And I had a $25 gift certificate to spend.[>:] Well, they've still got the A-10.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:09 AM
combatpigg

I found this one back on about page 30, still no conclusion? Was there a flight report on another thread?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:49 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CP are you out of work again??...Rog
Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Max_Power

Well, I finished it up and had it hanging on the ceiling waiting for some servos and a nice day to fly it, But a friend came over and just "Had" to have it. I told him to go buy the $65 worth of stuff and rent a movie or 2...But he was willing to pay me a fine price for it(Work IS Slow!!)...so... Well after complaining about the wasp and and my prop and fuel suggestions for about a week not sucessfully getting it to fly very well, he moved the fuel tank less than 1/2 inch up and it became "Awesome"(these are all telephone flight reports,lol). He said it turned out to be a great flyer(needs a Norvel I'm sure,lol) . Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to fly her myself , as she was shot down by old #49 about a week or two later. He said the guy bought him new foam, But he hasnt rebuilt yet that I know of ..(maybe he just gave it a dirt nap) I'll have to try the FW-190 someday with a Norvel, But I have a much cooler GREASIER project I'm warming up for Right now. Bummer about LSB burning down. Anyone know another good mail order balsa house with similar prices? Todd
Old 03-14-2008, 10:51 AM
combatpigg

Todd, stop making the planes so nice so your friends won't buy them away from you!
Rog, I'm in week 2 of vacation, so none of these old unfinished threads are safe from excavation.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:24 PM
JohnAV8R

Hi

I also have the GWS Corsair. Flies with the stock 400 brushed motor, using a 3 S Lipo, 1800 and 2000 ma cells.
I have a servo on each aileron. The front top of the fuse has a cut out for the LiPo (a little ugly, still open) to allow for different weight cells to slide back and forth for correct CG.
This little bird handles the wind, goes where it is pointed and does not have any bad habits.
I use an under hand "hand launch", no LG, and it just pulls away and up. Not sure how long the GWS brushed motor will last, but who cares?
John in Canada