Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

FUEL SUPPLY PROBLEM

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

FUEL SUPPLY PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:39 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUEL SUPPLY PROBLEM

I've made a half size of the FORCE ONE Delta wing (19"WS). I've put a .049 engine on it. It runs fine with the built-in fuel tank on it so I switched out the nessasary parts and installed an external (2oz) fuel tank.

Q) How do I get engine to draw the fuel from the tank in the fuselage?

marwen1
Old 09-07-2007, 10:56 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: FUEL SUPPLY PROBLEM

Which .049 did you use?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

How 'bout a photo too please.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:11 PM
marwen1

Don't have a clue which engine

here is some pix

marwen1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72252.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	758465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90483.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	758466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96857.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	758467  
Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Looks like a product engine backplate. Should work fine if you turn the tank around. If you have trouble getting enough fuel to draw due to long lines, put a vent tube right up to the exhaust port. dF did some work on exhaust pressure from Cox engines and found that the pickup wouldn't work just from (tractor) propwash, but sticking it close to the exhaust port gave a reasonable amount of tank pressure.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Wow! Nice job! I'll bet you will have a ball with her - very nice colour scheme too.

FWIW, my "regular" Force One was a lot of fun - looked faster in the air than it really was, the roll rate was great, and the sound was different. I don't remember how I destroyed it but it was fun while it lasted.

There was a time when I had trouble with a maintaining a consistent needle setting with a remote tank. If I remember right switching from a 2-ounce to a 1-ounce tank helped. Fuel draw on these little suckers isn't always the greatest.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:25 AM
marwen1

Raymond:

Take a look at the MAPLE LEAF. Funny story about it. Back in the late 80's, I took a corse in MUTIMEDIA GRAPHICS.

Within its courses, they "TRIED" (joke) to teach me how to draw lines with something called "BEZIER CURVES." I tried for two weeks to get it. It just wasn't to be! So, I went out one nite, to a local nursery and picked a nice LEAF off a MAPLE tree. Took it home a scanned it. The rest is history.

I have used that particular "leaf" on my business cards, my letter head, all kinds of things. --- LOL

later

marwen1
Old 09-08-2007, 09:36 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Marwen, great job on the plane! I think you could call it "First One" since it might be the 1st 1/2A version. I think having the tank ahead of the engine will cause the engine to go very rich when you try to make the plane climb and then go lean when you dive it. In other words the engine will want to take a nap when you point the nose of the plane up.
An engine with some kind of pressure fed fuel will smooth out these tendencies. I have never seen a crankcase nipple installed on a Cox reedie, but I think that would really be of use here.
The other idea to consider is to go with a smaller tank, like a 3/4 oz soldered tin tank that you can locate as close to the firewall as possible, [to reduce head pressure changes] AND install a uniflow vent next to the pickup tube. Use 3/32" brass tubing to plumb the tank and Sullivan small fuel line to go from the tank to the engine.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:33 AM
marwen1

Thanks for the compliment. Stuff like that is always encourageing!

The tank in there now is a 1oz Sullivan. Placing it in front of the engine is the ONLY place where you can put one on this design. The built-in tank makes this engine run like a scalded rabbit. Especially since I have hi compression plugs on the head.

If I leave the origional tank in place, it puts the prop too far out of place and will not fit into the "slot"

If I "carve" out an opening for it in the firewall, ther will be no place to mount it to, hence, the idea of the external tank. Sooner or later, I'll get this darn thing started.

later

marwen1
Old 09-08-2007, 10:54 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I understand that the tank can only go in front,.......is why I laid out those tips to help minimize the ill effects of having the tank above the engine in a climb. This is when you really want the engine to lean out and gain power instead of go rich.