Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Our "other" hobbies and similarities:

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Our "other" hobbies and similarities:

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:21 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Our "other" hobbies and similarities:

ORIGINAL: vicman

Rog, The next time we get togeather bring the Banjo and some homebrew. I would really like a sample of both.
Vic I havent brewed since 01, I made a batch 2 weeks before my motorcycle crash, 6 months later I got home and figured I better pour it out, but I decided to bottle it anyway....never before, never again will I be able to duplicate that...it tasted exactly like Sam Adams draft.........perfect...I also made some very high alcohol content beer once(it is all dependant on the sugar and water %%"ages)....it was not friendly to the digestive system if you know what I mean...........now I buy my beer, but maybe???...just make sure your equipment is clean or beer will be sour...yeech...Rog
Old 10-20-2007, 02:46 PM
sigflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I’m 49 years young.

I’ve been married to the same lovely woman for 25 years.

I have a 20-year-old son that it currently in school to become the next big computer game designer ;>) (Game simulation and Design).

I am a field service engineer for Ikon office Solutions. And have been for the last 30 years. I currently service and maintain a territory of production Color print systems and computer network / systems that support them. I have been a computer Geek since computers have been available for the masses. I live in a Windows and Unix world, but I truly love a Macintosh (the big Blue Apple).

My first experience with Glow fuel came at the age of 12 when I mowed lawns on England A.F.B in order to purchase a COX PT 19. I’ve been hooked ever since.

Oh I forgot: First car was a 1973 Gremlin X (remember those)?

I also love Nascar. I was Nascar when Nascar wasn’t cool. I can remember going to Rockingham and Charlotte in the late 70's and buying a ticket the morning of the race (try that today).

I'm also a BIG Bluegrass fan.

Johnny
Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 PM
scudrunner77

Ok- my turn,

I'm 30 years old, and have been married for 8yrs now. We have a six yr old son and 3yr old daughter.

I've been wrenching for almost 11yrs on VW, Audi, Porsche... although we drive a Honda and a Mazda. I don't want to work on my own cars everyday
If I had a project car I would like to someday build a late sixties bug worthy of road racing, and if my son is interested would like to get him into go-cart racing. Truth is I will probaby never do either with hopes of owning a real airplane someday. But dreams are dreams...

I'm really into F1 racing and upgrade my sat TV package March through October just so I can watch the races on SPEED. Sorry not much NASCAR here.. but I do usually tune into the Daytona 500 and Indy 500. If your a race fan of any kind how could you not.

I have my private pilots license, but like most who have posted here I have been inactive with that for yrs. Going to Oshkosh this summer rekindled that fire..
My dream would be to return to Oshkosh in my own homebuilt. I wonder how many sure starts it would take to make a Sonex fly?[8D]

In highschool I was on swim team, but also into skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, and moutainbiking. I just wasn't into team sports much...

My first airplane was a teedee .020 control line plane that my neighbor let me have, then my dad taught me RC on a Midwest Aerostar .40. And I also had a Tamyia Hornet RC car as a kid. I have fond memories of driving up from Portland with my Dad to go to the NW Hobby Expo...back when it rocked. And he also took me to NATS in the Tri Cities area I think. Right now 1/2a fits my lifestyle. Not much to them as far as building goes and I don't have to be a club member to fly them. I have access to a nice field about 5min from my house. When my son is old enough to join me I have a Goldberg Jr Tiger that I built 14yrs ago and it still has not had it's maiden.[] That will be a good flight to share with him and not to bad of a trainer. I hope...

I enjoyed reading all these post...

I guess that's it about me. If I forgot anything you'll never know!
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 PM
flyinrog

This doesnt have a thing in the world to do with 1/2A, but if ya have 3 extra minutes, I bet it'll bring back a few memories and make ya laugh....Rog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKAfXdb5LsA
Old 10-21-2007, 03:38 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dream car??? 427 Cobra, even it its a kit.
Dream project??? Pulse Jet engine. I have all the parts made except for the tube. I just haven't been motivated enough to make all the spinning mandrels yet.
I married Dave's high school sweetheart
Dream project II??? Home brew and distillery.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
But feel free to bring some storebought Hollis!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:22 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

I am 36, been married... let's see, coming up on 11 years. Have 4 children: Nathan (7), Ashley (5), Andrew (3), and Zachary (1). Never a dull moment at home.

Also an Industrial Engineer - worked for both aerospace and semiconductor industry. Currently in a continuous improvement role on the shop floor.

Introduced to model airplanes around 7th grade timeframe... Dad helped me buy a CG Lil Toot C/L model. Flew it in the cul-de-sac by our house. I think I spent more time fooling around starting, tuning, and running the engine versus the actual flying.

My brother and I saved up $110 and bought a Kyosho Wildcat .10 size R/C car, probably about the same time, i.e. 7th or 8th grade. Never did get it to start, but it was fun assemblying, painting

My first R/C plane was a Sig Kaet MKII w/ a K&B .40. Most frustrating part was when the engine would kickback with the spinner and prop falling off, otherwise a great model which taught me a ton.

Golden era for me was in college. A college friend introduced me to the wonderful world of 1/2A via Cox TD's and throttle rings. We mainly built 3-channel scale models using rudder, elevator, and throttle. Many a summer evening flying until the sun went down doing touch-n-goes, formation flying, and other similar maneuvers. Afterwards we would go to Wendy's for a cup of coffee and lots of hangar talk and plans exchanging. Also have done quite a bit of 1/2A Texaco... also tons of fun. All this started my love for scale modelling and 1/2A.

No history with motorcycles. When growing up I shot many a .22 - mostly target shooting. My Dad had a an air pellet gun - many an hour of great fun target shooting with my brother in the garage. I am lucky to have survived without injury. No experience in machining... wish I did though. Lot's of friends at work that can help out if I need some gov't work.

Enjoying my time with the 1/2A Carolina Crew over the past year or so. Keeps me involved when time is at a minimum ( see note on 4 children above). Bunch of great guys who are willing to share ideas and gather together once in awhile.

Looking forward to meeting the rest of you in person.

I, too, have enjoyed this thread. Great to see how different we are are but yet so similar.

Brian
Old 10-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Turned 50 this week so I figure I better do this before I can't see the keyboard.

Industrial Engineer V.P Technical Service in the Industrial Laser Business.

Married 2 children 23 and 20, they both ran away from home at 18 but the oldest one came back. Oh Well I guess that happens.

Helicopter ticket in wallet no fixed wing just whirly twirly.

Motorcycle rider since 16 don't ride much anymore, afraid of SUV's with yelling kids and DVD players.

Restore muscle cars and drag racing &2 442 W30, 70 Chevelle SS454 and 69 Mustang in the garage.

First 1/2A was Sterling Profile Spitfire 1970, then first 1/2A RC was an Ace Hgh glider with RO pulse we used to call the pulsers "Ticker-Trols" listening to the rudder flapping back and forth then went to a Goldberg Jr Skylark with medalion many other Ace kits always fun with Half A stuff.

All types of RC after that Pattern Helis and scale GMP Inner Circle heli Rep in late 80's.

Tried some foamies and 3D stuff. Lately been doing Vintage RC and SPA aircraft. Just built a WM Intruder with 91FS. I think I'm looking to go back to being a kid.

Even started looking at the Honda CBX's on Ebay.

Enjoy reading about others this thread had a great idea.

Peace

Mark O
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 AM
nekked_man_2000

I started playing back in the early 60's and was fascinated by "finger-style" pickin' ala Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, etc. That got me away from the flat pick and into the thumb pick.
Just named my second son Travis, don't tell the wife, she just thinks it's juste a name I picked out of the air(she wasn't goin' for Merle!). After I had my first son I started playing guitar again, figured I wasn't going to be Eddie Van Halen at 33 with a gut and thin hair(Eddies not Eddie anymore either!), so I got into Merle Travis (Not a big Chet fan...go figure), Adrianne Legg...and then I found the Bluegrass guys when I started camping so Now my favorite listening is probably Doc Watson, who can carry his own water with or without a flat pick. Then after a while I figured out what an acoustic was supposed to sound like and went on the quest. Settled on a Martin DX1, the purist don't like them, but I get lots of complements on the sound when I get out to jams. People ask questions about it until you tell them what it is, then they lose interest. Merle is by far my favorite Fingerpicker.

I still have my first car, a '65 Mustang converted from a 6 with a 302 and some mods, plus suspension mods, it's currently awaiting the kids to get old enough for me to re-restore it. Time wasn't good to the paint and interior while I was gone in the military, still runs good but some of the seals have dried up and developed leaks that need attention...someday.

Other projects include computers, model airplanes, camping, my Honda CB350 project. I put it together to ride while I restore, it's fun just don't get to ride or restore very often. Going camping tomorrow, hope the pickers are out.
Austin

Old 10-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Mr67Stang

[quote]ORIGINAL: nekked_man_2000

I still have my first car, a '65 Mustang converted from a 6 with a 302 and some mods, plus suspension mods, it's currently awaiting the kids to get old enough for me to re-restore it. Time wasn't good to the paint and interior while I was gone in the military, still runs good but some of the seals have dried up and developed leaks that need attention...someday.
My experience is that you can buy every single part for these cars new less the roof. So give me a roof and a vin and I'll build a Mustang Never get rid of it! I have sold so many cars I wish I still had today. Including a 1970 Mach 1 Mustang and a 1969 Cougar XR-7 Convertible. If stupid was painful I would have had a 3d degree migrane on those days[:@]
www.mustangsunlimited.com
Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
burtcs

Mr67Stang:

Painful (in retrospect) is letting a '49 Chevy delivery sedan be hauled off. (sob)

regards - Steve B.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:08 AM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

O.K. me too. I am 56 years young. I am a railroad engineer for a freight railroad in Southern California and I go up and down the Cajon Pass every day. I was a flight engineer on C141s in the Air Force for 4 years active duty and 18 years in the active Reserve. I have 5000 hours in that plane. I have had many British cars over the years and presently own two Austin Healeys, a 60 Bugeye and a 56 BN2 Lemans. I started modeling with Comet and Guillows stick and tissue and built my first R/C in 1965. It was a Jr Falcon with a Mule Mk II single channel radio. I still fly single channel and have 12 working single channel radios which are a mix of Ace and Mattel. Of the larger planes, I like to build and to ARF .40 to .60 sport planes, but we are losing our flying field to a grammer school in the next year. As far as guns I have several WWII type Enfields, a Garand, M1 Carbine, Mausers, etc. I have a nice Berreta shotgun for upland bird hunting and several handguns to include an early Luger, SAA Colt clone, Broomhandle Mauser, Colt 1908 Vest Pocket .25, etc and I shoot all of them regularly.
I am a single father of a 17 year old son and a 19 year old daughter that says she's never leaving home. The ex left a few years ago when I bought my most recent Harley. Have been riding since 1971 and still do often. Had put it on hold for several years to please the ex, but woke up one morning at 51 years old and decided I had to have another Harley before I was too old to hold it upright at the stop light. The ex said she would leave if I bought the bike. I don't respond well to threats, so I immediately bought the bike. It's been 5 years since I bought it and the bike is still here...
Old 10-23-2007, 07:25 AM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: burtcs

Mr67Stang:

Painful (in retrospect) is letting a '49 Chevy delivery sedan be hauled off. (sob)

regards - Steve B.
....or letting a $250.00 Lotus 7A basket case go when you had tons of drivetrain parts stashed away for it but "didn't need another project right now."[]
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 AM
DeviousDave

Geez-o-Pete's!

All you Old Fogeys are making me feel like a young squirt!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 PM
edalves68

Default RE: Our

I'm 42, old guys are cool, they know what the younger guys are missing! Silk span, water misters and fuel proof dope. Castor oil, Kit's not all ARF's, they actually know what a Fox or Torpedo sounded like with out a muffler? Enjoyed reading the above forums. Thanks for teaching the not so old guys, try to pass some more on to the young people that don't know that one used to have to get up to change the channel on a TV and that phones are not toys and that they used to have cords.

Ed
Old 12-22-2009, 11:53 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, old thread. I was 50 the first time I read this.. now I'm only a couple of months from 53!

Still flying, still have all my fingers - at least for now!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I've built a lot of model planes since I last posted on this one. Still active in the hobby. Still ride motorcycles and work rotating shifts. My son now flies with me when he can. That's been a welcome change.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 AM
Malgera

I just realised how long this thread's been going for!

Well.... I'm 20, Obsessed with engines, really only fly 1/2A. Joined the army as a grunt as soon as i left school, now serving in the reserves and looking for a job... I have a strong feeling the army's calling my name though.

love motorbikes, classic cars, shooting, hiking, and almost every other out door activity.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:55 AM
LittleRock

Good thread ! I am 57 years old (13 in the head). Am self employed as part of a plan to spend as much time as I could with my daughter as she was growing up (now 26 and married and made me a grandfather). Been married to the same woman for 35 years.
Have always liked to build things. Got into modeling at the age of 9. I like small planesfree flightcontrol linerc. Most of my planes are diesel powered. Have several large gas boats. Build most everything from plans. Lean toward the odd flying machines. Am the co-founder of the SMALL fun fly in Little Rock. Build about 8-10 planes a year. Used to fly competition free flight but too many of the guys took it too seriously.
Have restored several VW Bugs and Corvairs. The small models take up less room than cars. Just sold my Victory Kingpin and Jackpot. Tired of being a potential target.
Am a christian and conservative. I and my wife have concealed carry permits.
As I get older I find that I really like to stay home and enjoy tinkering with my models.

Steve Staples
Little Rock, AR
Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 AM
ChopperMike

Turned 52 this month. Electronic Field Service Technician.

Besides model airplanes:

Motorcyclyling
Bicycling
Roller Coasters (171 different coasters so far!)
Photography
Video Games (I have 7 different systems ranging from Atari 2600 to Nintendo Wi)
Oh, and my newest endeavor: Powered Paraglider. I picked it up a few months ago and will be starting my training next month hopefully.

Mike
Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 PM
DeviousDave

Wow,....has it been three years already?

When this thread started, I was working 7 days a week, months on end, no time etc. My how things change. Been laid off, done a TON of flying and went back to small glow vs. electric for most of it. Did a bunch of motorcycle riding, even strapped a bag on my enduro and camped out in the ultralight area at Oshkosh. Did a lot of shooting, even got my first machine gun-too broke to feed it now.. Did a bunch of work on my rural property and have a root cellar/bunker to hold my stuff if I have to leave MI to fund work.

Even when things are bad, things are good. Everyone in my life is happy and healthy, I'm above water now that I am back to work, things are OK. Christmas snuck up on me this year pretty bad, but I think it's going to be a nice one. My sister is pregnant after losing one, been trying to spend time with all of them this year, family is getting to be more important as we get older.

Hope everyone has a great '10!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:29 PM
GaryHarris

I'm 51 years old and act like I'm 14. My title is Senior Laboratory Technician but my job is to tell mechanical Engineers what they did wrong with their designs. And lefty loosey, righty tighty. 25 years 6 months with the same company.

Used to be married but she wouldnt let me have toys. [>:] Two kids and a grandson. I have had many hobbies, lol. I used to race Motocross, scuba diving, done surfing, 17 years of racing RC cars, fishing big time, several high end mountain bikes, I play guitar and once was pro. Photography and my mind is drawing a blank right now. I have had so many hobbies I can't think of all of them right now.

My television was given to me and if it went out, I wouldt notice!

Besides building planes, I am new to actually flying them.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:01 PM
erik58
My Feedback: (4)

51 years old weldor,mechinist.mechanic. retired go-kart racer. bee keeper (people think I'm nuts) closet gear head. married with two step daughters. started flying a cox trainer at 12 never could get it to fly.I crashed it more times than I can count. kept the local stationary store in business in rubber bands. crashed it for about two years.then I discoved karts and raced for 25 years.finally I hung up my helmint.My buddy flew r/c planes went with him to the field with him and was totally hooked. hope to fly and build keep bees till they plant me best wishes Erik
Old 12-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Beeza

62 yrs old, retired high school teacher of 30+ yrs. I didn't kill any of them and none of them killed me. Actually I liked my teaching job.
I've built 1/2A all my life, I also rebuild vintage motorcycles, mostly mid 60s BSAs. I've played trumpet all my life and currently play professionally in several groups, from Santana to jazz.

Beeza
Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay my turn, I'm stalling coz it's my turn to make breakfast.

- 48, balding, short and stocky.
- Married, two teenage lads
- Started building balsa models soon as my dad or brother would let me hold a knife and glue. Started with Jetex, Pee Wee's and Babe Bees. Finally bought a Cox/Sanwa 4ch set in '74 after a summer job laid a few hun in my lap. Taught myself to fly R/C, flew motor gliders and 2ch .049-.15 things first, and did my first 4ch flight on my own on a Fledgling, put it down fine. I did get many suggestions of how to improve afterwards of course, from one senior "club" member in particular.
- 20 years in Aerospace R&D, my gig is solid propellants, rocket motors, pyrotechnics, adhesives. Designed and developed the ProX line of high-power rocket motors for CTI, plus some commercial stuff. Left in 2007 for my sanity and needed the ol' midlife change.
- Hold the Canadian amateur rocketry altitude record, 44,006'. 117 pound 7" diamter rocket with a full "O" class motor prototype flown at LDRS24. It was not an altitude contender but just a big fire and smoke rip-snorter fun thing; but it hit m=2.8, stripped the paint from the nose cone and fin LE's, and still brutalized it's way to Fl44.
- Majored in music as well, played trumpet since '72, have my own jazz combo, played in big bands, wind ensembles, pit orchestras, did some horn work on a few buddy's CD's. Still playin'.
- Had a nice gun collection until '81 when our house burned to the ground. Just my dad's service revolver and Lee Enfield MkI (1896..) left out of that lot. Don't hunt ever, I just think guns are cool.
- 3rd degree black belt in Taekwon-do, trained and taught locally for years until a couple of years ago - took a break same time as I left my R&D gig.
- Partied and drank my face off like a proper Canadian until Oct 2007, then Quit. Now I do everything else but the drinking part. I miss beer, I like it.
- Working, finally, on my private license. Did ground school ages ago. Now own a nearly finished Pietenpol Air Camper, Continental A-75. Belong to and on the BOD of a local aircraft museum, and as a result have more hours on the controls of a '43 Tiger Moth than anything else - a statistic about which you will never, ever hear a complaint. With a buddy who was PIC, we flew it to Geneseo in '97 and '99.
- I like two-stroke engines, and like two-stroke street bikes a lot. Picked up a low-miles '85 RZ350R three years ago with Toomey pipes and a few other minor mods, and like to make horrid shreiking noises around the local twisties when permitted.
- Love cooking (and eating), I "specialize" in Thai and a few other things I really like so I don't have to pay restauants to make 'em.
- Am currently applying to Guinness WR for the world's longest nipple hair, we documented the measuring at a party in the local pub. 2" longer than the record at the time. It fell out a bit after, then came back but only made it to 3-1/2" before falling out again.
- Dad was RCAF, stationed at RAF bomber HQ, Squadron Leader with Pathfinders.. he was a radar expert and headed the delegation that briefed US officials on radar technology in meetings at MIT. My mom was a WAAF, so imagintation can fill in the rest at officer's parties and the like. I heard vague stories about opening windows at night.

Dunno what else, now I have to put up the tree and make breakfast, I've stalled as long as I can. Oh yea, I also now make the Screamin Demon kits and peddle those - so far it hasn't cost us too much money to be in business.

Cheers to all for the holidays.

MJD

Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 AM
metaldriver

I'm 48 years young and act like a teenager most of the time. I refuse to grow up. Divorced with a wonderful 17 year old daughter. My first airplane was one of the old comet speedstruct sheet balsa kits with a 3 inch prop. Didn't fly very well. First rc plane was a junior falcon with a heathkit servo on the rudder and a babe bee .049.lotsa fond memories of that plane.
First car was a 70 Cougar it got totaled. I currently have a Harley that I dont ride often enough. I work as a field service engineer in the copeir industry and have for the last 23 almost 24 years. Have a matching numbers 63 Fairlane waiting for me to start wrenching on it. Have had that one since 1985 bought from the proverbial little old lady.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.