Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A or Speed 400 Float plane plan

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A or Speed 400 Float plane plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 05:44 AM
flyinredneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A or Speed 400 Float plane plan

Hi Folks! 1st let me say that this site is fantastic!!!!

I am trying to find a downloadable(free) plan for a 1/2A or small electric float plane. If anyone has 1 or knows of a link to 1, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, I have over 100 sets of plans that I have found for free, so if you are looking for a certain plane, drop me an e-mail, and if I have it, will send it right out. Most are .dxf format, with a few in .pdf.

Thanx, and c y'all later
Old 04-08-2003, 06:30 PM
goldguy

Spend the dough and get yourself a Herr Aqua Star. Check out Flying Models Nov.2000. But before you get out the glue, check out Flying Models March 2001 to see the 'kit bashing" by Nick Ziroli Sr. His mods for electric also make it a better flying .07 sized flying boat.

Also, check out Bipeflyers web site at www.blackflight.com for a neet little 1/2A flying boat.

Fly SMALL, Have A BALL
Old 04-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are a couple of videos of the Waterbug.
http://donatelli.net/waterbug/waterbug04.mpg
http://donatelli.net/waterbug/waterbugldg.mpg

The files are a little large, so you might have to right click/save as.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:19 AM
flyinredneck

thanks for the info guys. The waterbug looks to have serious potential. As for the Aqua Star, it, was my 1st choice for a float plane, but have read many horror stories about it. Will check out the kit bashing articles and see what I think then.

Thanks again
Old 04-09-2003, 07:17 AM
ryanrink

here's my attempt, i made it using one stryofoam float for a .40 size model, a sheet balsa cabin, and recycled wing and tail from a ACE Grasshoper kit. i had to add 2 extra vertical tails for stability. its 3 channel, rudder, elevator and throttle. engine is a norvel .061. it's the final product of many design flaws and wrecks so it doesn't look that great but after many trips back to the drawing board it flies pretty good. it will ROW and do touch and go's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	69325_27934.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	41762  
Old 04-09-2003, 05:59 PM
goldguy

The Herr Aqua Star had two problems with the origional kit, which I believe have been corrected..............

#1. down thrust was shown on the motor set up. Wrong, you need about 2 degrees of up thrust.

#2. the nose of the hull would plough into the water and not get up on the step. It was corrected with spray bars, but the wider hull mods are a better way of correcting the problem.

I have 100's of flights on an Aqua Star powered by a G-Mark .061, which I recently sold. It was a great flyer and lots of fun. Everyone at the float flys took turn on it.

I bought another kit and am doing the Ziroli things to it and will power it with a TT .07. The first float fly is only one month away!!
Now, back to the design contest project.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:17 PM
goldguy

The main mod to my Aqua Star is to have the motor pylon attached to he hull and not the wing, as in the Waterbug and Puddle Master.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:21 AM
MR Flyer57

Hello again Bipe Flyer,
I just took a look at the water bug movies and man what a little plane. In the second you I even got to watch a worse that perfect water landing. Do you have any more information on that plane? I would like to get a set of plans and also know which motor was on it.

Great film, thanks again,
Marshall
Old 04-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, it's pretty funny to see the dead-stick and belly-flop in the background. The guys plane wasn't damaged

The Waterbug does the coolest tumbles. If I point the nose straight up and push both sticks to the top left the plane will tumble head over tail very quickly, barely loosing altitude. It can also knife edge quite well.

Alas, I must build another one. Mine was lost looking into the sun. I still have the nice foam wing though.

I used a Norvel .061 in it with a 1 oz tank.

Plans for the Waterbug are $10 plus shipping.

Specs, Pics and videos are here.
http://donatelli.net/default.asp?pla...t=12a&vid=true