Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

GUILLOWS BUILDERS? ANYONE

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

GUILLOWS BUILDERS? ANYONE

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
peteapilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GUILLOWS BUILDERS? ANYONE

IM HAVING A HEC OF A TIME WITH THIS SITE CANT SEEM TO NAV.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 PM
peteapilot

Default RE: GUILLOWS BUILDERS? ANYONE

HELLOW OUT THERE???
Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several build threads here dealing with Guillow's kits. Building one of these kits and successfully converting it to 1/2a nitro power R/C is a challenge and earns a builder a Gold medal in the relm of 1/2a builders. You get a silver for making a succesfull electric. If you search for threads you will find many start with much enthusiasm then just end before project completion probably due to the difficulty of the undertaking. I have personally concidered the Sopwith Camel and the Hellcat as possible conversions but as of yet have not been brave enough to invest in the idea. From what I have read it can be quite costly. Your definately in the right forum for anything to do with small planes but you probably picked a kit harder than just scratch building
Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Not to diss Gullows, I have always looked to Comet instead, just liked them better for some reason. The issue of size, and the need to up the structure to handle the R.C. stuff can be done, it is just somthing I have never tried.

I have a Comet plan for a Cub, has a 30" span, so a blowup of those plans to 36-42" would be about right for it to enclose around a 049. Most of the others I see are 16-18", would need a doubling to suite the eyes for me.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: peteapilot

HELLOW OUT THERE???
WE'RE MOSTLY AT WORK! ! ! ! !

loose the caps lock. In forums it's the equivalent of yelling at us.

What are you having trouble with as far as moving around on the site? You FOUND the best forum already.....

Up in the tools area in the upper right corner is a gold coloured bar with some function buttons. Since you're after some Guillows info click the Search button and enter the word guillow in the keywords area and then hit the Search or GO or Submit button at the bottom. That'll keep you busy for an hour or two from all the stuff that comes back.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:34 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

There are several build threads here dealing with Guillow's kits. Building one of these kits and successfully converting it to 1/2a nitro power R/C is a challenge and earns a builder a Gold medal in the relm of 1/2a builders. You get a silver for making a succesfull electric. If you search for threads you will find many start with much enthusiasm then just end before project completion probably due to the difficulty of the undertaking. I have personally concidered the Sopwith Camel and the Hellcat as possible conversions but as of yet have not been brave enough to invest in the idea. From what I have read it can be quite costly. Your definately in the right forum for anything to do with small planes but you probably picked a kit harder than just scratch building
Stang, I have a nib guillows S.E.5A biplane,,I opened the box and just said oh h3ll no!! not me...remind me and I'll bring it to the reedy race,, you can have it...I think Bob's dad Bailey gave it to me....Rog
Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Stang, I have a nib guillows S.E.5A biplane,,I opened the box and just said oh h3ll no!! not me...remind me and I'll bring it to the reedy race,, you can have it...I think Bob's dad Bailey gave it to me....Rog
Thanks Rog!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:07 PM
on pipe

[img][/img]Guillows are good for static displays, but like Mr67stang said above, you might as well scratch build for a flyer. The wood quality is somewhat lacking, and it's almost easier to use the parts for patterns and make new ones out of better balsa. Flyinrog's reaction reminded me of when I was a kid about 10 years old. My old man bought me the little cub kit to put together. He had me use tissue and dope (this meant something different back then) to cover it with. Can you imagine a 10 year old "ham fisted" farm boy trying to put together such a delicate item? And , back then, we had to glue a couple pieces and then wait until the next day to do a couple more. ( thank heavens for the CA and epoxy we have today) Ah, memories... Ross
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55108.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	866273  
Old 02-01-2008, 12:16 PM
kzimmerman

guillows has a pretty bad rap, but I've managed to build the zero kit. Right now it's for electric, but am considering getting a paw .03 for it. These kit's are difficult to build, and very difficult to get flying correctly because of the incidence issues. If you are new to small R/C, get a diferent kit. Maybe something from herr engineering, or the dumas line? If anybody wants to get rid of their guillows kit, I'll take em, love the challenge of building them well. Or maybe I'm just a masochist. (lol!)
Old 02-02-2008, 05:04 PM
peteapilot

Bruce thanks for the info .
Old 02-03-2008, 04:32 PM
peteapilot

Hello Mr Stang thanks for the reply I think i will go for the silver The kit is good quaility balsa real dense except for one small sheet all laser cut . I am trying to figure out how to make the top wing removeable the outer struts are the issue. I am useing 3/32 x5/16 ply for them . Need to set them in a receiver of some sort and through bolt them Ithink so I think I will think somemore any ideas would be great thanks Pete
Old 02-03-2008, 05:49 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for you on the quality of the balsa. Still you descibed it as dense and dense to me means very hard plus it also means heavy.
Heavy is not desired in these smaller models. I suggest replacing the dense balsa as soon as possible. The smaller the model, the bigger the difference it will make when using ribs and spars of heavy material. For most of the rubber power designs, having stringers of hard stuff is not much of a problem except for warping issuse that affect alignment. Guillows however is a little over designed in the stringer department. By this I mean it has more stringers than a similar model of another brand or design. Heavy stringer material for a Guillows model means additional unneeded and unwanted weight. Guillows is known for quite hard (and also heavy) stringer material.
Again this makes making a straight fuselage or wing more difficult.

Robert
Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 PM
jeffie8696

But it might look like this eventually. This one is freeflight and powered by a Cox Pee Wee 020. I am poor so I have to sell it.[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Name:	Ca81428.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	869534  
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 PM
peteapilot

wow nice plane jeff!! i have a guillows folker inthe box my next build how does it fly and are there ailerons ? i might be intersted in owning it for ya
Old 02-04-2008, 10:42 PM
peteapilot

I see your point on density of the balsa but if its say 2-3 oz more would,nt it be more crashable under eflight i can drop out the stock wheels that are 2in hard wood and save a ton of weight
Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 PM
build light

Your not kidding about those wheels! Those should be the first thing you chunk!

Still, I stand fast on the density issue. Once you ditch the heavy wheels, Then the saving of weight becomes more of a percentage issue than an ounce or gram issue. Like renolds numbers this important part of building is more and more important when the models are smaller and lighter.

You should see how picky the indoor rubber fliers get!

Robert
Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Out of the thousands of kits that they have sold of this particular model, how many [would you guess] have been successfully built?

Take it a step further now, how many have been successfully flown?

This planes looks like it would have to be built as light as one of those indoor rubber types to have a fighting chance to fly well.....or to just fly at all.

Forget about building it to crash well, that is a self fullfilling prophesy when you start stacking on the extra dead weight on such a tiny model.

Looks like the trick here is to get 2 ozs worth of wood to do the job that 4 ozs would normally do, not the other way 'round.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 AM
jeffie8696

Alas I am not the builder. I obtained this particular piece from a very nice German gentleman and it has a Pee Wee 020 for power. It weighs almost nothing. Has it ever been flown? Got me. Lets just say it doesn't exhibit and scars. It is currently flying around "TheBay" and doing quite well in the price department. This is probably one of the 1% of these kits that ever got finished. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
peteapilot

LOL i guess i wiil find out what it needs to lose in order to even lift off i will keep all poted thanks for all the fish
Old 02-10-2008, 08:42 PM
build light

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Out of the thousands of kits that they have sold of this particular model, how many [would you guess] have been successfully built?
Many of us modelers are guilty of purchasing a kit (just a kit?!) in good spirit[:-] and good intent to have it (and the others) to languish in some well protected area till we "git tuit".

Then I can see other friends or relatives who mean well in their gift giving, giving kits that otherwise not have been selected for personal taste.

Robert
Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 PM
jeffie8696

I have a Guillows P-40 that I bought recently but with my state of health I don't know if I can accomplish it. I take medication that causes shakes pretty bad. Haven't put together a kit like this since I was about 10. If I ever did get it together I don't know if I could fly it, I would be too scared of crashing it. I crash very well. It would be so totally cool to R/C it ! Sub micro servos, mini receiver. Pee Wee 020 but I would need to have a different tank since I doesn't have a "clunk". And I fly inverted a lot ( usually weither I want to or not cause I totally suck as a pilot) Anybody make a scale 3 bladed prop and spinner for a Pee Wee.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
TakingFlight96

I just got going on my 500 series, Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. Started yesterday, starting on 2nd half of fuse tonight. My dad is very proud of me. This I believe will give me a good feel for building, which I may be doing a lot of in the future. I probably could've gotten a simpler kit as my first but, with help from my dad it could be great father/daughter bonding.

-- TakingFlight96
Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 PM
jeffie8696

My daughter is not so much into the building or flying, but watching Dad fly our plane into the ground amuses her greatly. Her intrest in airplanes is mostly to amuse Daddy. She is 11 and has lots of other things to occupy her time. [8D]
Old 02-18-2008, 06:54 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Do I get a gold star? maybe a little late, this was way back in 1983. Guillows Hellcat, 32", 42oz., G-mark .061, 5 channels with flaps. back then all my planes were this size. this one flew like a pig and was retired after 2 flights. I still have it hanging in the den.

Name:	Ig11143.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	882606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14818.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	882607  
Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Scale Dale, you deserve a medal..beautiful looking model.

Staying 100% faithfull to the Guillows outlines, it is hard to build them to be great all around flyers in the 1/2A size range. The formers and keels waste a lot of interior space, switching to sheet construction saves space and time.
If you want to cheat on wing and tail areas,[with the hopes of having a better flying plane at low speeds] then the kits are mainly just useful for reference. I cut up an already built Guillows Mustang into pieces just to study fuselage cross sections and to get some basic outlines and patterns, then built my own plane [with way fewer pieces] out of select wood. I enlarged the wing and tail [a little] and ended up with a 26" span model RTF at about 11 ozs with 2 channels.

I saw a completely assembled bare bones P-38 at a swap meet last year, built to Guillows standards, and that is one of their models that looks like it would fly great with a pair of .049s and very little tinkering or kit bashing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.