Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Homemade engine mount

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Homemade engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 05:14 PM
bcripe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade engine mount

Hi guys, Got my Lazy Bee nose strainght, thanks for the help. Now I amthinking about an engine mount before I sheet the top of the nose. Went down to hobby shop last night to buy an engine mount and all they had was Hayes KM-15 which is for an OS.15. Looks good and all that but it uses 6-32 screws and blind nuts that are deeper than my firewall. WAY overkill! I thought about smaller screws and washers. Like 2-56 with two washers under the head. But then I thought that might be pretty hoakie soI thought about just building a motor mount out of wood. Anybody ever do that? Seems like it would be pretty easy? Any tips or pointers?

Thanks,
BC
Old 04-18-2003, 08:07 PM
3 Channel Brain

Default Engine mounts

I made one for my norvel neofun--very strong -landed straight down @ full throttle w no damag to the mount. Made like so...
Take 2 strips of 3/8 hardwood triangle stock & fit them up along
the fuse sides from the wing leading edge to what wil be the front
of the engine mt. ( inside & 1/8" below the thrust line) (thru the firewall) epoxy them to the sides. cut a horizontal plate from !/8'
plywood to fit on top of them & cut a u shape in front & drill for your beam mts on the engine. Epoxy this down on top of the triangle beams .
Old 04-18-2003, 09:10 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

for the lazy bee, I would recommend running 2 strips of 1/4" square hardwood from where the sticks broke on you to the front of nose. install kind of flush with where the level part under engine is, with as much downthrust as you desire. then cut a plate out of 1/4" ply, as wide as fuse. notch it for engine, screw to 1/4" rails and screw engine to it. #4 screws, remove and harden threads in wood w/ thin c.a., let it dry, then screw back on with silicone on screw threads to keep 'em tight. that's kind of how we used to do them in the old s-ray days, we called it a "breakaway" mount.

on my lazy bee, I used the km-15, though there was something funny about the firewall, though, I think I didn't use the laminated one, made one out of 1/8 ply, I think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	71783_19598.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	43352  
Old 04-18-2003, 09:34 PM
bcripe

Thanks, My firewall is pretty thin. I laminated three of the four super light plys together. I probably will go with the Hayes but a homemade mount would bee cool