Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Graphic Safety Reminder

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Graphic Safety Reminder

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:56 PM
ProBroJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graphic Safety Reminder

I'm almost too embarrassed to share this, but if it will prevent it from happening to one of you all, then I'm happy to share.

It's just a Black Widow and a 6 x3 Tornado - how bad can they bite? Well, here's what happens when reach through the prop to pull off the glow plug clip. Not for the squeamish... open at your own risk, etc...

There's no place in our hobby for complacency, OK guys?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62894.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	886579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50535.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	886580  
Old 02-23-2008, 05:24 PM
newtech

Default RE: Graphic Safety Reminder

Sure wish I could say I don't have the same scars.[:@]
Old 02-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

I've done similar...

I was tweaking the needle for max RPM before launch, with a screamin' dual port reedie and a Cox grey prop and not paying attention. I simply stuck my middle finger into the prop arc, and it took about 3/16" off the tip (of my finger, that is). It did grow back, but the scar is still very visable. I can still remember just about everything - except for the prop size . I strongly remember the sting of the alcohol/nitro! It was over 40 years ago.

Arlen
Old 02-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Black Widow mounted on a test block clamped in a vice in the shop; MA 6x3; reached thru the prop to adjust the needle -- who knows why??!!

Very similar to yours, but missing the parts between the cuts, mostly on the shop wall. The only part feeling worse than my thumb was me for being so DUMB.[]
Old 02-23-2008, 07:10 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My advice to everyone is to start drinking.......heavily. That will dampen those knee-jerk impulses to do stuff like that. [sm=tired.gif]
Secondly, those left-over percosets from the last gall bladder attack aren't doing you guys any good at home in the medicine chest, they should always be there in your flight box just in case.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

That stinks!

I had an incident that opened my knee. Was about a month before I could start bending my knee again. I wasn't being careless... more inexperience in hind-sight. I am very safety conscience after this. Complacency is a mo fo indeed.

somegeek
Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, the small joys of owning enough wooden 6x3 and 7x3 Rev Ups to last quite a while. They bite, too. But not like that!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:49 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I mentioned to you some time ago yet perhaps even recently about my mishap with an APC rotating razor blade 8X4 on my .46LA??????? Let me look for that Email.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:01 PM
rc doc

Same thing except that my cuts were on top of my first finger. 1/2A motors are nasty little devils if you get careless.
John Smith
Old 02-23-2008, 08:14 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know if it would have helped at all in this case but I ALWAYS sand off the flashing from the edges of any prop I use. Part of it is for efficiency and a much bigger part is to remove the razor like flashing residue that can do this sort of thing.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:27 PM
ProBroJoe

Well, ummm... even though all of my props are de-flashed, the ole Black Widow was running backwards and it was the trailing edge of the prop that got me!

I think what caused the lack of concentration was the fact that the little booger kept starting backwards and I was getting frustrated. [:@] I am proud of the fact that I was getting one-flip starts though (even if it was backwards).

CP - you never fail to crack me up!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
combatpigg

PBJ, That was one of Blutowskis' [Belushis'] lines in Animal House. Another line that I love in the same movie from Dean Wormer, "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son".
I think both lines were delivered to poor "Flounder". What ever happened to that guy? He kind of looked like Larry Mondelo on Leave it to Beaver.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:30 AM
rbeluche

Okay guys, ya wanna play the chopped up finger show? How's my left pinky for ghastly? No, I didn't lose it to an airplane engine, but to accidently getting caught in a go kart chain & clutch. Turned it into ground meat in 'bout 1/2a second. Pun intended. Musta been shock, but it didn't hurt at all! Maybe there weren't 'nuff left! Still have the knuckle. It works too. Freaky stuff man.

Frank

Name:	Nl29402.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	887103  
Old 02-24-2008, 02:27 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

I don't know if it would have helped at all in this case but I ALWAYS sand off the flashing from the edges of any prop I use. Part of it is for efficiency and a much bigger part is to remove the razor like flashing residue that can do this sort of thing.
One of the first tips I was given when I was working with an instructor. First thing I do is hit the TE of my APC props with sandpaper to remove that sharp edge.

somegeek
Old 02-24-2008, 03:43 AM
KidEpoxy

Last one I got was from turning the needle... I was even standing behind the engine is what gets me mad. Too much knuckle sticking out for too much rotation, and Pzzzzzzth! Took a 1/4" circle of 'me' off my knuckle: One of them really shallow, really bloody divots.

By my recolection, I figure I've gotten worse lacerations from APC props just getting the plane into & out of the car than from a spinning one <knock wood>. There is your complacency, lax procedure cause there isnt even any fuel residue in the engine and SLICE- you find out the hard way how much methanol is on your toolbox rag when you try to stop the bleeding with it.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:28 AM
Luna_Rendezvous

Chopped fingers are a right of passage with IC aeromodelling....

I can feel your pain brother, those injuries tend to bleed like a stuck pig, hope you regain all feeling in the finger.

Name:	Wu59436.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	887165  
Old 02-24-2008, 08:33 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Not just for IC anymore.....
Did I tell you the one about the time I wired up a small out runner to the ESC? decided to check direction of rotation, by holding the little stick mount (no stick attached) in my hand. APC 11x8 sloflite.
Well I was so happy to get the rotation correct decided to do a little blip of the throttle in celebration , well it torqued right out of my hand and rolled across the top of my hand slicing up the tops of my nuckles of first and middle fingers ans twisting up the esc wires faster than a safty wire plyer.

Then the time I decided to hold a td .020 in my hand - in my kitchen.....sounds harmless enough, eh?
Had a good grip on the case between the thumb and index finger. started her up. Immediatly started spinning 19-20 grand and pulling pretty good, increased my grip - all was good, Leaned her out, have a tiger by the tail - but then it started getting hot - hmm? and it got hotter, and my fingertips were sending PAIN signals to the grey matter - what to do? can't let go? can't hold on? frantically reached for the fuel line with the other hand and it seemed like an eternaty before it seperated and I could think about my stupidity - and grab an icecube[:-]

Hey Luna, what kind of small hub prop is that?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 AM
ProBroJoe

>those injuries tend to bleed like a stuck pig,

Oh my gosh, yes! My whole hand was covered in blood in the time it took me to police everything up and get to the house - literally a minute away. It's a good thing my wife can read my face cause if she would have judged the extent of my injuries by the amount of blood on my hand she probably would have been much more frantic!

Holding a running engine in your hand? Well, er, ummmm..... they do get a bit warm don't they? [X(] (Not recommended folks!)
Old 02-24-2008, 10:06 AM
digital_trucker

I have yet to be bitten by a 1/2A....I had my knuckles rapped soundly by a PAW .19 once (them big diesels HURT). I didn't bleed, but YOWCH.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Toad

[sm=thumbup.gif] seems all the 1/2a'ers have those multiple laceration scars on at least one finger. I cant help it, I had to chuckle a little when I looked at the picture and then at my own fingers. Poor Joe! my last one, just two yrs ago took forever to heal. hurt like hell too , didnt seem like the first ones when younger took that long to heal. I think I even said the "f" word when I splatered blood all over my tail gate. I had about a ten mile ride to get stitches, that remeinded me why they say to take a friend flying, I could have used a driver that day. I think I said the "f' word several times actually.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:48 AM
Luna_Rendezvous

ORIGINAL: RocketRob
Hey Luna, what kind of small hub prop is that?
Rob, that’s a small spinner I filled down from a standard Cox, especially to fit the APC 5.7 x 3 All I needed to do was cut the webbing and big end from an old crank and mount with the spinner into the jaws of a hand drill and then file the wall thickness down to right diameter. I also did this to make a wee spinner for APC's 4.2 x 4, 4.75 x 4, and 6 x 3

I realize you can just use a piece of fuel tubing over the prop screw to take up the gap, but some times with APC's, that hole just isn't in the centre. But these spinners index to the recess in the front of the prop which is indeed aligned to true centre.

regards,
Mike.

Edit: Don't attach the drive washer when your filing down the spinner with the drill, just mount the spinner to the modded crank and your good to go.

Name:	Fd92968.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	888158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82789.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	888159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16666.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	888160  
Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 AM
combatpigg

I was always taught to sharpen my props trailing edges, has nothing to do with safety.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: Luna_Rendezvous

I realize you can just use a piece of fuel tubing over the prop screw to take up the gap, but some times with APC's, that hole just isn't in the centre. But these spinners index to the recess in the front of the prop which is indeed aligned to true centre.
That's a very slick idea!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Max_Power

I know I'll prolly be tagged a wuss....But I like to hand start all my models if possible...I've found a good archery glove can be great http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=83757, and you are still unencumbered TX wise, and its easy to wiggle your fingers out of and just let oit hang from your wrist if it bothers you flying.. WOW what a link!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, Mine was a Norvel .061 AME with an APC (Another Perfect Cut) I counted at least 5 slashes in my finger from that lil booger. So what did I do.. I wrapped it up with a wet paper towel then held it there with a handfull of rubber bands (wing hold downs), and continued playing with my toys. About an hour or so later a buddy comes up and says, "what did you do to your finger?" I replied, "I dumb A##ed myself and got my finger in the spinning prop." I then prodeded to show him the injury by his request. He then states what I really already knew, "You need to go get some stitches"[:@] So I have to stop playing with my toys long enough to stop bleeding.[:'(]

Does nitro fuel burn hot enough to cortorize a prop wound[>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.