Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hey Crew

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hey Crew

Unlike Rog, I would prefer tobuild a wing...(my favorite part actually) Save the foam for the lecky guys.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:11 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

How about .10/.15 plain bushing engine (I already have both) and the simple series of your choice?.....remember this is not specifically for racing, but funfly stuff...a .15 is really gonna make a simple series scoot, it sure did my Herr extra but that was a magnum engine and I think the OS LA is a bit more docile still a nice engine, I have a brand new OS .10 and .15 LA and a nicely broken in .15LA, oh and Vic, I got from .010 to .46AXi....I am gonna try and get an AT Texan/.10 ready for the May race just to see how it flys...Rog

oops, wait a minute, I am showing only the cub and extra as having landing gear,,, make that an extra or make my own for the texan...Rog
Old 03-22-2008, 05:43 PM
rainedave

OT, but, I make pretty good Chili. Fresh chunks of sirloin, three kinds of beans, tons of garlic, green chilies, fresh plum tomatoes and onion. The Texas Toast is yummy, too.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80168.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	910662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96941.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	910663  
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice looking chile!
Stang, I'm with you on foam VS wood. Unless you have Fascal for covering, foam wings burn up time.
Strapping tape "spars" just contain the flapping and can still give way. By the time your done inlaying spars or sheeting a foam wing with balsa and glass, a built up balsa wing could already be done.
If you guys just want to run OS .10s, Glen Dye is ready to do up a batch of them for $200 each, guaranteed to turn up a 6.5x4.5 Trick RC prop @ 20,000 .
Old 03-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Dan Vincent

CP,

Do you have a website for Glen Dye?

Someone was looking for heads for a Cox Conquest .15 that used a Nelson or Turbo Plug. I think Glen used to market some Conquest stuff.

Glen used to make all kinds of "Go-Fast" stuff for various engines.

He's the real deal and one of his special engines should be a winner but this is exactly what happens to a "Stock" racing class. You almost have to start out with a "No-Holds Barred" approach because guys are gonna cheat sooner or later.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dan, last time I checked, Glen was a regular visitor over at Delphi Forums. They have a C/L speed forum. Paul Gilbeau, Scott Newkirk and Jim Booker also chime in there.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Ok ROGER....What's your decision??? do I wait and see or just guess at what kind of foam wings I need to cut out (for those that want them????.....my OS .10 is not getting any younger...

Dan
Carolna Custom Aircraft
Old 03-24-2008, 06:30 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Deadstik

Ok ROGER....What's your decision??? do I wait and see or just guess at what kind of foam wings I need to cut out (for those that want them????.....my OS .10 is not getting any younger...

Dan
Carolna Custom Aircraft
Check with raindave about the foam wings
Old 03-24-2008, 07:20 AM
rainedave

ORIGINAL: Deadstik

Dan
Carolna Custom Aircraft

Hey Dan. If you're willing to cut some foam cores for the 40" Shark this would make a perfect excuse for me to spend a day in your shop!

Let me know. PM sent.

David
Old 03-26-2008, 01:05 PM
flyinrog

Ok, looks like Dan and Dave can come up with a plane....meanwhile I ordered a couple of planes from skaliwag...hope the skydrill works fine with one of these product engine I have...maybe put in a 2 oz tank and let everybody fly it for a few minutes like the postall plane....Rog
Ordered the simple series Texan for my OS.10

on a side note,, I have an OS .25FX on my taco that BSarge built me,,yesterday I cranked it for the first time and it went through 2 oz of fuel in like a minute, yeah it was rich but not that rich...must be a first run thing...today I cranked it up and leaned it up and it took several minutes to empty the tank, the tank is held on with rubber bands (its a profile plane) so changing out the tank is no problem, and it is supposed to glide decently and ya'll know I dead stick in anyway,,it cant glide too well, as it is basically a profile uproar and the uproar is not a glider at all......
Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.25FX is a great engine...one of my favorites.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Roger,

I'll be getting up with David shortly and we'll come up with something for the wing/kit.. should be FUN !!!

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
rainedave

I spoke with Deadstick. He's going to make a run of foam wings. I'll also have laser-cut parts for a built-up wing.

The plans are almost done. I just need to add the gear blocks between the two spars. I added shear webbing and a ply dihedral brace. It will still be plenty light.

Deadstick and I were imagining seeing a starting line with four or five planes lined up ready for the flag to drop, engines wide open. It will be a cool site.

David

Name:	Xv64388.gif
Views:	16
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	920413  
Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 AM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin' at that chili... I would have Dave cooking at the next C.C Fly-in... Forget the Hot Dogs and burgers.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:40 AM
flyinrog

Alright, Dave and Dan, good job with the kit/themed model for the crew...this is for the fall meet though...Skaliwag, Dave is welcome to cook at the flyin, he's gonna be there anyway.........but that aint cheap lookin chili...I make a good chili ,more like Wendy's chili though....Deadstick, dont wait till the friday before the race to ask for a rtf[&:]....I bought another of Brians planes and I'm keepin this one....Rog
Old 04-05-2008, 12:04 PM
rainedave

If you've had one (or five in Raymond's case) of Banjo's chilidogs then you know why he's the designated Reedie Race chef.

The cutfile is finally done. Since Dan is so graciously cutting cores, I've decided to reduce the cost of the laser parts by omitting the built-up wing. If there's enough protest I can still have ribs cut.

BTW, Dan is cutting cores for the taper wing, too!

David

Name:	Db85568.gif
Views:	18
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	922305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32366.gif
Views:	15
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	922306  
Old 04-05-2008, 04:06 PM
BSARGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rainedave

If you've had one (or five in Raymond's case) of Banjo's chilidogs then you know why he's the designated Reedie Race chef.

The cutfile is finally done. Since Dan is so graciously cutting cores, I've decided to reduce the cost of the laser parts by omitting the built-up wing. If there's enough protest I can still have ribs cut.

David
I'm protesting!

-Bill
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 AM
flyinrog

Alright!. got my Texan and skydrill from Skaliwag yesterday..( I figured it'd take all summer with CP and him drinkin beer at the hops festival).man the wings on the texan look flimsy! I have built several simple series ,,a cap 231 that flew great but lost it with a radio hit..the extra I screwed up the wing to the point I had to chuck it, the cub hand launched into the ground, my bad...have an ultimate in the box and now this texan shouldnt take too long and have the .10 LA ready to screw in...shows as a 2 channel with an .049 but I will have throttle on mine, gonna make some aluminum wheels for the landing gear, tall enough to roll on the grass...Rog
Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM
rainedave

Sounds good rog. Maybe a build thread?

Bill, I drew up the cutfiles for the Hershey and the taper wings.

David
Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: rainedave

David

I hate to be a stick in the mud but I stand by my desire to build the wing. I would willingly pay the difference.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 AM
rainedave

Mr67Stang, Dan and I haven't finalized the pricing yet, but I can't see how the built-up wing could be more than the foam version. It simply requires one extra sheet of 3/32" x 3" x 36" balsa for the ribs.

I've drawn up the cutfiles for both the straight and tapered wing ribs.

David
Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Alright!. got my Texan and skydrill from Skaliwag yesterday..( I figured it''d take all summer with CP and him drinkin beer at the hops festival).man the wings on the texan look flimsy! I have built several simple series ,,a cap 231 that flew great but lost it with a radio hit..the extra I screwed up the wing to the point I had to chuck it, the cub hand launched into the ground, my bad...have an ultimate in the box and now this texan shouldnt take too long and have the .10 LA ready to screw in...shows as a 2 channel with an .049 but I will have throttle on mine, gonna make some aluminum wheels for the landing gear, tall enough to roll on the grass...Rog
This aint gonna be pretty, I am really gonna have to butcher the cowl on the texan to run the .10 on it...I just realized I havent posted a pic since I bought this computer over a year ago....not today either....Rog
Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 PM
flyinrog

Well, it looks now like the Extra would have been the better choice as this cowl isnt going to fit at all,,,its gonna be real nose heavy witht the os .10 hanging too far out there....may have to velcro the battery to the elevator...I may just paint it and not waste the ultra-cote...if it flys ok, fine if not, I''ll try something else....Rog
Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Dan Vincent

Rog,

Over the years .09 or .10 engines have become bulkier than the originals such as the Cub .099 or McCoy .098.

I would be tempted to try a Cox .09 RC on a small model to hold down the overall bulk and weight. Should make it more nimble too.

The late model .10 engines are close to the old .15''s in both weight and size.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:24 AM
flyinrog

Well Dan, I originally bought the .10 for the Herr Cloud Ranger like Mr67stang did, then decided to build the HOB spacewalker for it, then got the idea about having a plane some of the crew could get at low cost like the simple series...Had nothing but good success with the OS line, have a .10,.15 a couple of .25's a .40 and a .46......Rog

Oh Banjoairplane cant cook this time,,good thing he doesnt use these http://www.roastmyweenie.com/Roast_Y...enie/Home.html

Oh and today is my Dad's 90th birthday, a few of the crew have met him...Rog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.