Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hey Crew

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:36 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hey Crew

Ok, someone catch me up. I just caught this thread. There will be a Sure Shark .10 race at the fall flyin, correct? If so, sounds great. Count me in as I already have an OS .10.

Dan and Dave are producing the kits? Let me know where to send the $$. How much?

Brian
Old 04-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Rog my man,

You are seriously sick! But I still love ya.

Yes I remember talking to you dad for a little bit (we're almost the same age). Say, "hey" to him for me.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:14 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,

I'm interested in one of the larger SS kits, with the built up wing. How much and how do I get one?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Just about finished the Texan w/os .10 on it...lacking only the to dowel pieces,and 2 screws that hold in the wing and the canopy,, the box calls for 2 channel, mine is 3 channel with 4 servos t/e/2 a/ and still weighs in at box spec of 20oz with a 650 battery on board...feels like a ton, but it should be okay at that weight with twice the power on board....Rog

Hopefully tuesday the weather will cooperate and I can get in a test flight.......
Old 04-23-2008, 10:16 PM
rainedave

I've been talking with Dan and he should have the foam core templates ready soon. I think he's going to cut both the Hershey Bar and the tapered versions. The HB uses the same 2414 as the original SS, and the tapered wing uses the symmetrical NACA 0011 at the root and the 0013 at the tip. There is no washout the thicker airfoil at the tip serves a similar purpose without effecting inverted flight.

I will go ahead and order a run of laser-cut short kits.

Remember, the plan is to use either an OS FP .15 or an OS LA .15 only.

Rog can chime in on whether we want some sort of "Unlimited" event with CV .15's and other hotter engines.

I will let you know real soon about ordering kits. Thanks for being patient.

David
Old 04-23-2008, 10:35 PM
SGC

David,
Are you getting some wing ribs cut as well for those of us that want a builtup wing
Reserve at least 1 kit for me please
Stewart
Old 04-23-2008, 11:28 PM
rainedave

Yes, Stewart, I'll have rib sets for both wings cut.

Thanks,
David
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Oh crap, I thought the plan was to use an OS 10. I don't have an OS 15. I have an Enya 15, though.

Brian
Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
flyinrog

Well Dave and I just got through flying today,, both his sure sharks flew and ran great other than a trim problem with the aileron., and a hatch blow off in flight,..I on the other hand had a few problems,,, my lecky took off great and as usual was a bit twitchy, about the time I look at the tx and see the warning light come on , it stopped following instructions,,it crashed in about 30 seconds but it was in 2 foot tall grass on a deer trail, no damage....the Uproar flew great that plane can do waaay more than I can do with it...can wait to play with it some more..well I grew a set and decided to maiden the OS .10 Texan, as always the new os fired off like , well an os does...we bench ran it longer than I thought, figured it still had an oz or so in it from the bench run, and didnt want to push my luck so we fired it up and Dave tossed it and it was hands off from the get go...for maybe 30 seconds, tank was empty!....with full up elevator, it came in like a rock because it never got up enough height or speed to come in right.....not sure if its worth fixing or not, have to look at it closer....Dave and I both suffered from KKS right off.................knee knockin syndrome...........Rog
I bought the uproar from Piper Chuck, the beginner mod...it took off in 10 feet went straight up, rolls like a lathe and this is on an OS .40LA!...well I had never landed it, Bsarge twice took it off, then I flew it and he landed it, I only put a syringe of fuel (maybe 2 oz) in it...this was back in the fall...he said it would drop fast at landing, but Dave will back me up here it died pretty far out and I had to walk to the other end of the field to get it, came in like a deadstick trainer for me...if I'd a put more fuel in the texan, it woulda been a great day....
Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
rainedave

It was a lot of fun. I hadn't flown in a long time, maybe three months, I don't know.

I got a TD .051 and a tank mount off the *bay and put on one of my SS's. I installed a Nystrom fine NV and used his tubing. I had never even started it before this morning. Luckily, it ran great and really unloaded in the air. As rog said, my ailerons were way out of trim, but I got it down fine. I adjusted the linkages and it was flying great on the second flight when the belly hatch flew off and the rx fell out, dangling by the wires.

Rog's Ace Texan was really flying great - pretty much hands off - until it ran out of gas. That was my fault, I told him not to fill the tank in case the first flight was hairy. I think it's totally fixable. He made the best landing I ever seen him do with his Uproar.

The weather was perfect. I saw a wild turkey and two dear when I drove up. I thought turkeys were easily spooked, but this one let me get pretty close. I should have taken a photo.

At any rate, I got the bugs worked out of my Unlimited, the TD is running great, so watch out people.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39163.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	935980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19086.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	935981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60580.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	935982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38220.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	935983  
Old 04-24-2008, 11:08 AM
flyinrog

Holy Crap I'm bald!!!when did that happen???!!....ah well we had a good time and I'm pretty sure Dave saw two deer not dear, ever seen a turkey in the wild,, they look like tiny dinosaurs....too bad about the texan but its nobodys fault, just part of the hobby..got gun shy with the lecky and then over confident with the uproar so I fired up the texan and shoulda woulda coulda had a better flight...Rog
Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 PM
rainedave

Oh dere, I pulled a Dan Kwayle.[X(]
Old 04-24-2008, 03:08 PM
BSARGE

Man I wish I wasn't working....I really want to be there on the 3rd....you know I am feeling a little sick...[8D]

-Bill
Old 04-25-2008, 05:08 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: fireman7875

Oh crap, I thought the plan was to use an OS 10. I don't have an OS 15. I have an Enya 15, though.

Brian
Brian, I dont think anyone will have a problem with you using a .15 Enya, I sure dont want anybody to have to buy an engine for a small scale event like this one,,, the idea came about, mainly because I figured everybody would have a .10 or .15 engine or 2,, my Magnum .15 was a great engine until it swallowed some carolina red clay...is your enya bushed or bearing?..no matter, its not so much of a racer anyway....remember landing gear is required....you could use the os .10 too....Rog
Old 04-25-2008, 05:15 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: BSARGE

Man I wish I wasn't working....I really want to be there on the 3rd....you know I am feeling a little sick...[8D]

-Bill
Yeah your lookin pretty yellow there dude,, you might wanna take off that first weekend of May,, I hear that cures the yellow lookin blues [)]...Rog

Oh if ya'll can make it out in the picture, thats tigger flyin the Texan
Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 AM
flyinrog

Looks like the Texan will go back together ok.I will try again next week....Rog
Old 04-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Dan Vincent

Rog,

That thing about walking into a room and forgetting happens to me all the time.

My thing is pulling away from the house and then wondering if I put the garage door down. I often go back to look.

Another thing is multiple hits on my door locks of my pickup because I can't remember if I locked it or not.

One day we were at Disney World and I had the right row but didn't see my truck. I hit the remote alarm button on my remote key and it set off cars all over the place. All I had to do was hit it again to turn mine off but the others continued to beep.

Oh well, I can still start a diesel with little difficulty so that's what really matters.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

ORIGINAL: Dan Vincent

Oh well, I can still start a diesel with little difficulty so that's what really matters.
Oh noooo Mr Bill! Does this mean I just failed a sanity test? I have two worn-through-the-skin sore spots on my flippin' finger from trying to get a tiny diesel diesel going again. It started fairly easy the first try and ran for a bit. But then refused any further advances. Well, ornery or not I love the little buggers. I just 'need' a new one from David Owen. Yeah, I really 'need' it.

Seriously, I transpose letters on this bloody keyboard more than I used to. Driving in a lot of traffic is starting to worry me. What were we talking about again?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:51 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Looks like the Texan will go back together ok.I will try again next week....Rog
I re-finished it up tonight, hope to test fly it tomorrow, if not early in the week...Rog
Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Dan Vincent

Raymond,

Well, at least you're not repeating yourself.

By the way, what is a "tiny diesel-diesel?" LOL
Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Jeeze Dan,

I try to proofread these things before I hit "send". I somehow somehow missed the extra 'diesel'.

The engine I was fiddling with is a tiny thing I got from a person in Canada. I'm too lazy to go look at the name on the side - and I'm too old to remember - and I'm too ornery to use an electric starter on it.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Dan Vincent

Raymond,

One of the tiny engines I had great hopes for was a .41cc Elfin that started right up on a prime and then found out the contra-piston was too tight. Never did get it to start again.

George Aldrich told me he had the same problem with his but he lapped in the contra-piston by using jewler's rouge in oil with a drill press used as an arbor press. I must try that some day as that little Elfin is a jewel.

At one time, some Canadians were trying to get the rules changed for the Cox .020 SAM class to let them use miniature Russian VA replica diesels such as the Elfin, ED baby, Kalper and Mills. The Arne Hende' Drone, Oliver, Kalper, Elfin and Dyno would be under the same umbrella.