Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Will it fly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:03 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will it fly?

The easiest way to get nose weight on there would be to get a .15la. An ounce or so of extra weight and 50% more power. It's one heck of a nice looking plane (if a little on the big side). It'd be a shame if it didn't go like a scalded dog.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 AM
silkyt

I flew the twig again today after moving the battery under the fuel tank. I was flying at a closed strip at the local army post. Out of nowhere a chinook landed less than 100 feet from where I was peparing the twig for another flight. Got a cool picture of it though. She's right on the recommended balance point shown on the plans which I feel is too tail heavy still. Does anybody know a good method for figuring a good starting point for bipe CG? I know for a monoplane the CG should be at aprox. 25% MAC. But how do I figure MAC on a plane with two staggered wings? Any help here is appreciated. Also, I'm used to a few inches of antenna "whip" hanging out the back or none at all. What do you guys do with the 2 foot long whips on these little buggers. Just let 'em fly?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83946.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	920432  
Old 04-03-2008, 02:00 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

I laced my antenna back and forth in the tail of my Herr Pitts Special biplane (see link to build in my models). It essentially cut the range of the receiver to 1/4 but it's a full range receiver and I won't be flying it more than 1000' away so this works.

somegeek
Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 AM
digital_trucker

Hm - as far as finding the CG on a bipe there seems to be a bit of black magic and bleeding of chickens involved (or a lot of complicated math). The best general rule of thumb seems to be this;

1) If the wings aren't staggered and are of the same size, use the same as for a monoplane
2) If the wings are of unequal size or are staggered, use the CG of each wing and bias it towards the upper wing
3) fiddle with it until it flies right

This is what I gather from a google search