Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Queen Bee

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 05:29 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cox Queen Bee

I've owned this engine since new , but only used it a few times because of reliability problems . It starts O.K. but after afew minutes running seems to get very hot and quits. I'm using fresh fuel, recommended prop and the engine has been used in different models always uncowled . On paper it should be a great performer , but has proved to be a bit of a headache . I've had plenty of use from my other Cox engines ( 049 & 051 ) .Has anyone else had Queen Bee dramas. :confused .
Old 05-03-2003, 12:06 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Queen Bee

I tried a Queen Bee once.....and only once. Don't
expect much performance from it. Throttle and muffler
are nice, but it is no powerhouse. For thrills, get a
Norvel .074.
I wonder if it's possible to sub some TeeDee 09 parts
and make that QB run good, or adapt the muffler and
carb to it?
Daze
Old 05-05-2003, 12:04 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cox Queen Bee

Thanks for your reply.I don't know much about the Cox 09 , pretty rare these days in Australia. The Norvels are available , so I'll take your advice and get one.I've nearly finished a 33" span Tiger Moth kit (an old Keilcraft kit I came across recently) ,so I want a reliable egine, after all the hours I've spent putting this thing together, Happy landings Vauxhall
Old 05-05-2003, 02:39 AM
Dave Campbell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Queen Bee

The QB is a good runner, but they are a bit finicky and if you don't run them dry they will eat thru the muffler screws in very very short order.

I'll assume you have small bore motor experience and aren't trying to lean it out for max RPM on the ground and launching it, and suggest maybe an air leak at the plug, a bad plug, or possibly a leaky gasket between the carb adaptor and case.

Dave