Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

New Toy, Magnum XLS .15A

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New Toy, Magnum XLS .15A

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Toy, Magnum XLS .15A

Acouple of years ago, I put a Lil Extra in the air, powered by a Enya .11. Nice combo, & the engine had plenty of power to move the plane around quite smartly. However, I wanted to see what the plane was like while powered by something that was lite, but could still spin a 8x4 prop with authority. 1st attempt was a K&B 18. It made a slightly higher RPM than one of my old baffle piston Enya 15's. (haven't given up on this engine, It's on the list of "things to do"). Next purchase was a Norvel .15 Big Mig. This thing, box stock, spun the 8x4 measureably faster than one of my baffle piston Enya .09's. ( one lifetime ain't long enough to fool with that engine). So, the Lil Extra stayed on the shelf for the past year. Lately I've seen the Magnum XLS .15 being mentioned more, & more. All input seemed to be favorable. Bitten twice already, but what harm is one more engine in my "disappointment drawer" gonna do?.......... Well, soon as I got back from town with the mail, tore open the box (instructions are still laying where ever they fell), weighed the little jewel (5 & 7/8 OZs without muffler & 7 OZs with), & opened up the engine. It was near sterile & no noticeable friction with the exception of a lot of interference near TDC. One look at that blunt needle, & I thought " this ain't gonna work so very good". Reassembled, installed a Fox std. long glo-plug, mounted on the engine stand, fueled up the tank with 15% nitro with20% castor, heated the cylinder with the heat gun (shades of Norvel, I couldn't turn it over at room temperature), & flipped the prop, again, & again, & again & (you get the picture). Occasional "pop" & a couple of sputters, but nothing more. Touched it with the electric starter, & instant start. 1st surprise; the needle works great. Loads of adjustment between too rich, & too lean. After some slightly rich running time, checked the idle. 2nd surprise; Idles more like one of my Saitos than a hi-strung .15 2-stroke. After a couple of near max runs, closed the basement doors. Time for the flashlight & tach. 3rd suprise; This is the 1st .15 size engine I've had, that would outrun one of my RC style .15 Conquests, on 15% nitro, in box stock condition. [ My guess is that if one were to "tip the can" (add nitro) the Conquest would win out.] Also, this thing weighs a bunch less, & had a more user friendly (in most cases) side exhaust. Oh yeah, the RPM reading was 17,300, & the prop was an early (pre GF3) MAS 8x4. After this little bit of running, the engine now starts by hand, however, still a load of interference near TDC, & still needs the heat gun to expand the cylinder for a cold start. I expect the performance to get better as the engine accumulates some run time. Now for decision time. Bought the engine for the Lil Extra, but I just got an Ace Simple Ultra. Sure would be a nice way to shed some OZs by using the Magnum instead of the engine I had planned. Then, got a Sig Wonder waiting to be completed. I "wonder" (pun intended) what the life expectency of that thing , using the Magnum, combined with my marginal flying skills, would be. Then, there is the ........ Why do I see another order for another .15 XLS being made to my internet hobby retailer???????? ......... Why can't all engines be made so that they perform "right" outta the box?????? ............. Once this thing gets fully "broken-in", I'll try a load of different props, & update this thread. ............................ George K.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Toy, Magnum XLS .15A

That is an engine I'm interested in, I too have a Wonder kit that needs to get
built. So far it sounds promising! BTW, If you don't want that Norvel........
Old 07-23-2008, 08:21 PM
microsprint9

Yep the magnum .15's are great little engines, i have an older .15XL and the newer .15XLS and both have performed right out of the box and i've never had a problem with either engine.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

I have a magnum XL .15A (previous model) and I was never that impressed with it. There is a lot of lateral play with the carb barrel and it uses a spring to keep tension against the stop screw. The problem is that most throttle pushrods cause the barrel to wiggle - even after stretching the spring to create more tension - and this makes setting the idle needle almost impossible. The low speed needle moves with the barrel.

The new XLS .15 (bluehead) has a completely different carb and I've been wanting to try one, too. I'm glad see that it's a good engine.

BTW, the new carb will not fit on the older XL .15A.

David
Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Mainspar
My Feedback: (27)

I've never had or run a Magnum XL .15A, but my .15 XLS has run great for me from the first flip of the prop.

(It probably likes me cause I was born in Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital!) My compliments, David.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what rpm does it spin an APC 8x4. the master airscrew 8x4 is closer to a 8x2.75 to a 8x3 prop. compair pitch to other 8x4.

from what i have seen all 15 run about the same max rpm on the 7x5 - 8x4 props with mods. my conquest spins an 7x5 at 20,300 but its cleaned up a bit.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:32 PM
microsprint9

With an APC 8x4 i get right around 15200rpm on 10% omega, i usually run a MA 8x3 and get 18000rpm.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:35 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Any links to a good purchase location for the XLS?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:27 PM
microsprint9

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRLG6&P=0

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/210605.asp
Old 07-25-2008, 06:02 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Mainspar
...(It probably likes me cause I was born in Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital!) My compliments, David.
Ah yes, Moses Cone. That's an old hospital.

Are you anywhere near Shawnee? My sister lived there for several years.

David
Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Mainspar
My Feedback: (27)

Old hospital...?!?! It was the new pride of Greensboro when I rolled off the assembly line.[X(]

We're about 100 miles southwest of and 3 degrees hotter than Shawnee. We drive right by Shawnee every time we make the long trip back to North Carolina and Virginia.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:26 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There you go again Dave! [:@]raining on my parade. I just bought a new XL.15A. [] And you say it ain't gonna work right. Well I'll just show you!![sm=punching.gif]
Hi Dave.