Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Mini Pulse Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mini Pulse Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 PM
rockom
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Pulse Conversion

Here is the plane:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2375
I won the plane in a raffle.

I've got an OS10 in need of a home.
How do you think these would fit together?
What size tank?

Thanks,
-Rocko
Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Mr. Mugen

Default RE: Mini Pulse Conversion

Well I had one of those and I can say that you will need some serious reinforcement up front....heck anywhere there is a bonded joint. They vibrate apart with a BL motor. I bet they fall apart quick with a nitro. I spent a while with a cup of 45 minute epoxy on my 2nd build and made it a bit heavier. Since doing so it has held up to over 75 flights just fine. Take some good ply and redo the motor mount area and into the fuse about 6 inches. I think with that alone you should be good. A 2-4oz tank would be fine. Might have to mount it over the cg in order to get it to balance. I know the 10 is a bit heavier than the 480 outrunner they recommend.

Kevin
Old 07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
rockom

Thanks Kevin...that's good feedback.
Maybe I'll stick with the 480 for this one.

I'm sort of just hunting around for something to put this engine in. I like the Herr Extra and the Ace P-51.
If the Ace Ultimate was a little lighter, I'd probably have already ordered. I'm just reluctant since my OS10 is on the low end of what they recommend.

Thanks again,
-Rocko
Old 07-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Mr. Mugen

Don't get me wrong. I bet that plane would be a good candidate. It would just take some work. It flies just like the herr little extra. Almost identical. I bet they are close in weight as well. I was thinking about doing the same with one of my Brio's and a 25fx. Might someday.....

Good luck however you set it up.

Kevin
Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 PM
unclecrash

A guy over on rc groups converted one. He put a .25 in it. There is a cool thread over there in the 1/2A section electric to glow conversions. I just did a Carl Goldberg Shock 3D I put a AP .09 in it flies real nice at 25oz.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:13 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For $115 it's quite expensive, even if you do get the the motor and speed controller.
A better deal is the Herr 'Lil Extra. The factory recomended power plant is the Norvel 074 but as they are no longer available I would say an OS 10 would fly it.
A .15 would be better. There is plenty of testiment around here to prove that. A flying buddy has a PAW 19 Diesel on the front of his and it has VERTICAL.
Email or PM me about a NIB 'Lil Extra and a TT.18 that has been very concienciously bench run by me that I would like to sell.
The TT.18 has better #'s on the prop my friend uses.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 AM
dashunde

I have a Herr Extra, flew it a couple of times with a .15LA.. flew pretty well.
But overall, I didnt care much for the whole set-up for a variety of several small issues.
(super messy, short flight times w/ 2oz tank, cant fly it down the street at the park, etc)
I just sold the 15LA and ordered some e-power for it. That decision came easy because I already have lipo's for it.

My point I suppose, is that I'd go with the 480 outrunner on the Pulse, and keep it clean and simple.
For anything over a 46 size plane I'm very pro-glow, but anything under that size works better for me on electric.
The little glow planes have a much higher "cool" factor though.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:06 PM
rockom

I really like this size/class of plane. For all my electrics, I stick with the 3S 2100mah lipo. I only buy one size pack and I can use them in my Reactor Bipe, Mini Ultra Stick, Taylorcraft 450, P-38, and T-Rex heli. It really keeps the cost of packs down.
I had the OS10 in a plane similar to an ultra stick. That ended in two pieces. A several weeks later I won the Mini Pulse at a club raffle. I could easily go electric and use the packs I already have. Either way I'm going to slime something up with the OS10. I don't use the OS10 nearly as often but on occasion it's a fun little engine to run. We have lot's of large and giant scale at my club. They always stop to watch the OS10 fly because it's just different from what our regulars see. A few have asked to fly it and so far everyone who has tried it love it.

The plane I crashed is here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629290
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862144

-Rocko
Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM
dashunde

Well... considering what you already have, and the fact that you can build... the answer seems clear.
It looks like your Pulse should get the 480 and use your existing lipo's, and the .10 could be on your next build project?

FWIW...
I bought a mini Pulse with the intent on glowing it using the 15LA, I ended up going with the Herr because it was already built for nitro and is a lot more robust, plus it didnt have a cowl to work around. I sold the Pulse off to a buddy, but now I wish I'd have kept it, e-powered it, and sold off the 15LA to start with. The little Herr is going to be a challenge to e-power, and it doesnt have a battery hatch like the Pulse does... yet.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 PM
rockom

ORIGINAL: dashunde
It looks like your Pulse should get the 480 and use your existing lipo's, and the .10 could be on your next build project?
Good point and I agree...
I like the little bipes but with the extra wing...most of those need a 15 or 20.
The Herr looks like fun. My Mini Doghouse was a bit on the heavy side. I think that's part of why it snapped in two. The ends were heavy and the airframe was weakest in the middle. I used HS-81 servos on the tail....way to heavy.
It did learn allot from that build and the next one will be much more balanced as far as weight and strength.

-Rocko
Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM
dashunde

The number one reason I pulled the 15 from the Extra is because of the super-small tank (2oz - intended for a .074). To install a larger tank would require either a new $20 Jett bubbless that fit into the existing small hole in the former, or I'd have to chew away at the former to fit a standard 4-6oz Dubro - not an easy task due to restrictive access.
Neither option was really attractive.
During a 4 minute flight it would start burbling after 2 or 3 minutes... after some thought, I classified it as "unreliable", and parked it until now.

Since then a few things have changed. I've removed the electronics from my 3DHS Katana running on 3 cell packs, and moved everything over to a 3DHS Velox on 4 cell packs.
Having several freed-up 3cell packs has prompted me to electrify the Herr Extra.

After having said all of that, I think your 10 and a slightly larger tank, would pull around a Herr Extra pretty well.