Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

is there a connection between 1/2a and motorcycles?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

is there a connection between 1/2a and motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 01:26 AM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1948 Indian Chief and Small Stuff

I still have a couple of coffee cans full of Cox and a few other .010-.10 engines. I have always been fascinated with small glow and electric powered model planes including Guillows rubber kit conversions. I am currently flying a Guillows PT17 with GWS 300C B geardrive and 8 720mah NiMh AAA cells.Here's a pic of my '48 Indian Chief which I have owned since 1970. Recently treated to resoldering of tanks, rechroming of girder forks, etc., and repaint of tanks and front fender in late 40's "rainbow" paint job. Also new Avon MKII Classic tires.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	82690_13904.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	47129  
Old 05-31-2003, 04:21 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default is there a connection between 1/2a and motorcycles?

Originally posted by G1K
....they seem to go together well... until you try to get the planes to the field with a bike..

R
Watch this space. I'm hoping to build something in the next month or so that'll mount on the back of my Ninja. And if it'll fit on the back of THAT bike it'll fit anywhere.

It'll only be one model and gear at a time but that's better than nothing.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 PM
build light

Default RE: is there a connection between 1/2a and motorcycles?

Bruce, I imagine you still have at least one bike in your stable these days but how would you like a kawasaki like this one?

http://www.bigbikeriders.com/48cyl.htm

Robert
Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride a 01 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, a 00 Suzuki DRZ 400S, and a 94 Harley Wide Glide. Have ridden many brands and styles over the last 20 years. Many of my fondest memories involve motorcycling.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:06 AM
longdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vroom vroom [>:]

Name:	Db84921.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	784645  
Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Man I wish I had it back....those were some GREAT times and I was in the best shape of my life....all 122 lbs. of me!
After 22 years of it hiding out in a garage I did get mine back! 73 CB 750, Hog wheel 2:1 drag pipes, short track bar. Man I loved riding it back in high school and bracket racing at Milan Dragway.
It has been under the sheet waiting till I get a tiny bit bored with the planes for a resto. I have one large bill to pay down from child birth and I will be sporting around on a Speed Triple, should be able to have it all worked out within the next year.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my 13th motorcycle this year, at age 35. I grew up poor and was always the tag-a-long kid that followed the guys who had mini-bikes when I was younger. Well, I made up for it as an adult!

I like riding anything with two wheels, period. That said, I like bikes that can shake the fat and get out of their own way so I tend to gravitate towards big-bore sport bikes. I love me some two strokes though! My first bike ever was a Yamaha YSR50 (miniature street legal crotch rocket) that I bought with MacDonald's money in highschool, and I still own a 2-stroke streetbike today-a grey market import Japan-Spec Honda NSR80![8D] I dig dirt bikes, but have never had a place to ride one until now. Problem is that I still don't have a truck to get it to my property, and I'm to old and responsible to allow myself to get on a dirtbike. Think "Instant Lunatic, just add motorcycle", just like the T-shirt says.

Here's a list of all the bikes I have owned:

'87 Yamaha YSR50
'88 Yamaha YSR50
'90 Yamaha FZR400 (Cali spec, no passenger seat, EXUP Valve)
'94 Kawasaki ZX11 (Rode from Detroit to Seattle on that B#@$*, I'm still sore!)
'90 KX125
'96 GSXR750 (did the Team Suzuki school on that and got a WERA novice license)
'99 Yamaha R1 (Stolen, recovered a year later-they made an arrest but I don't know the details other than he was found on the bike)
'99 Bimota SB8R
'03 Kawasaki KE100
'05 Suzuki GSXR1000
'99 KLR650 (rode it to Oshkosh this year, took the ferry across the lake, great time!)
'87 Honda NSR80

Bikes make even the crappiest day at work better with a ride home. Even a trip across town to get something from the hardware store is more of a trip or adventure than an errand when you do it on two wheels. I think the reason so many of us ride is that flying 1/2A is about personal enjoyment that doesn't matter to anyone but you, but still marks you as an individual apart from the crows. That rings true with bikes for sure....
Old 10-17-2007, 08:42 AM
vicman

Bikes make even the crappiest day at work better with a ride home. Even a trip across town to get something from the hardware store is more of a trip or adventure than an errand when you do it on two wheels. I think the reason so many of us ride is that flying 1/2A is about personal enjoyment that doesn't matter to anyone but you, but still marks you as an individual apart from the crows. That rings true with bikes for sure....
That is a perfect statement. It could have come out of my own mouth.
You already know what my first was, I have also owned
78 GS1000
82 V-45 Sabre, I had more adventures on this bike than any other. It paid for itself 10 times over in money stolen from Ninja riders.
81 RZ-350
I have ridden dozens of others from HD and Buel to RC-30 and Aprillia.

Dave, your comment above makes me need to get my head in the wind.
We used to do 110 pulls on I-96 from Novi to Brighton before it was finished. The Graph, Woodward, and Gratiot all old haunts for me. Even a long pull out M-14? to the Irish Hills...Ahhh yess.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

I upgraded from a helix to a reflex (honda), and banjoairplane and I just went riding this morning...for a couple hours,,,drove 20 miles to find out the lake marina was about 5 miles away...lake is down bad 4-6 feet,,hasnt rained here since June...I love my scoot,,maybe I can build a 1/2a plane to take off from a lake.......Rog
Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's funny how many 1/2A'ers have an intrest in bikes as well as the fact that this forum has become the de facto machining forum due to the large % of members here dabbling in the Dark Metal Arts.

It much be related to the fact that us small model guys have always walked outside of the mainstream and value ingenuity and being a little different.

I just finished a two week trip on my current big street ride, an '04 Kawi Z1000. It hit the road with a custom shaped saddle made up by me as well as a custom made luggage rack that mounted to a spare rear saddle so it can be swapped out in a few seconds.

I also just finished up my second season of mini road racing on my Honda XR100 set up with smooth road tires.

It's no wonder I seem to never find time to build models right now....
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Tee Bee

Nice collection, DeviousDave! Love the Bimota. Individual, indeed.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:52 PM
vicman

Shoot for me metalworking is the easy part. All this wood and glue stuff is the challenge.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Mr67Stang

Started on a can't remember the year Honda 350-four I bought for $300 and learned to ride on the way home. I know, amazing I'm still alive. Got married and spent several years convincing the wife I needed a bike. We were stationed in Okinawa Japan at the time I finally received her permission and dropped $1700 on a heavilly modified '86 Suzuki GSX-R 750. Sold that one when I left Okinawa and bought an brand new '02 Suzuki GSX-R 750. Last year it struck me that this "no fear" riding style might just kill me and I traded the hot rod in on an '07 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1600 with very loud Vans & Hines drag pipes.

Name:	Ay74821.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	784814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96113.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	784815  
Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
build light

Nice bikes everyone!

I am glad I resurected this rather dated thread to bring everything up to date but it seems everyone has missed the reason that I posted here in the first place.
Did y'all see the link I put in post 53? The one for the forty eight cylinder Kawasaki?

Here is the link again!
http://www.bigbikeriders.com/48cyl.htm

Yes it runs and there is a video link on that page. It uses a 75cc engine to start the big one. There is text at the bottom of the page with more info.

I think I still like the two radial engine bikes /i saw last year better than this Kawasaki but it is still quite the item!

Robert
Old 10-18-2007, 07:28 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

Nice collection, DeviousDave! Love the Bimota. Individual, indeed.

Here are a few more pics... Gawd I loved that bike! It kid of fell into my lap, desparate seller, my R1 had been stolen and I had a check in my hand. It was a bit of a stretch, even at the price I got it and unfortunately I got laid off 3 times in the following 2 years. This was right about the time I first started to post here on the 1/2A forum... Dark days indeed-I was reduced to reading electric meters in 10 degree weather to keep that bike and support a girlfriend with an epileptic condition. I fell in snowed over pools, got bit by dogs, even broke three ribs[] doing that job, I just couldn't keep the bike. Jobs for tool and die makers were nonexistent that the time and they still aren't all that plentiful.

I found another job 2 weeks after it was gone.[:@] It was serial #8.

It made about 135hp, which at the time was top of the heap. The motor was from the TL1000R with Bimota's fuel injection and what basically was an Arrow race exhaust-the Italians have obviously never cared about the EPA, this bike was LOUD AND RAUCOUS. Claimed dry weight was 393 lbs, and it felt like it. Steering was light at low speeds, and heavier at 140mph+, which is nice for fast rural roads with a lot of elevation changes. The stock suspension was a mix of Ohlins and Paoli-it needed a lot of setup after the first owner had his 'mechanic' adjust it for a 'smooth' ride.
(Whatever Grandpa![>:]) The bike was very sensitive to tire pressures, as little as 5lbs would make the bike unstable at moderate lean angles-never had a bike like that before. The frame is a hybrid Aluminum/carbon structure with the carbon side plates dovetailed and cross-bolted to the main spars-it was a great handling bike, if a little on the racy side. The carbon intake tubes make this great music when running up and down the revs, but boy did it get tiring at constant freeway revs. In one pick you may notice the absence of a sub frame for the seat and exhaust..... This is because the carbon tail section was strong enough that they were able to build the bike without a subframe at all! That seat holds all your weight and serves as the exhaust mount!

The biggest problem I had with the bike was that nobody knew what in the heck it was and figured I was a snob like the Ducati guys are and wouldn't come up to me to talk about it. Boy, did it ever turn some heads!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Had a Vespa scooter back in the 70's, rear engine, would go about 60 downhill. Drove it in the snow, went pretty good. Also a 72 Honda CB175 twin, still downstairs.
Also a Honda Vt500 Shadow, first year they made them.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
lildiesel

Default RE: Right On!!

The only connection I can think of is "suck start". The only times I've used my lung power to draw fuel into an engine involved a Cox and a BSA 250cc single.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 AM
hogflyer

Remby

I found parts for the old Honda's are still available in the big auction site and aren't very expensive. I've got 2 Honda CL-350's, a '73 that I got in high school in the late '70's that still looks almost new, and a '72 that was my dad's which as about 3200 miles on it. I've also had a Yamaha SR-500 thumper that did break a guy’s ankle when he failed to make use of the compression release, and a Virago 920. Heck, I've still got my first one - a '71 Honda CT-70 Mini-Trail sitting in a shed at my mom's house.

Hogflyer
Old 10-19-2007, 03:39 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

Remby

I found parts for the old Honda's are still available in the big auction site and aren't very expensive. I've got 2 Honda CL-350's, a '73 that I got in high school in the late '70's that still looks almost new, and a '72 that was my dad's which as about 3200 miles on it. I've also had a Yamaha SR-500 thumper that did break a guy’s ankle when he failed to make use of the compression release, and a Virago 920. Heck, I've still got my first one - a '71 Honda CT-70 Mini-Trail sitting in a shed at my mom's house.

Hogflyer
LOL, I had an SR500 as well and went close to breaking my ankle for the first two weeks till I found the compression lever
Old 10-23-2007, 08:18 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Must be some connection between motorcycles and 1/2A. I've liked both for the same amount of time. 2002 Harley Heritage Springer. Just finished a Jr Falcon from an old kit and using an Ace Pulse Commander radio for single channel flying. Using a beautiful Cox Sure Start built by Tim Wiltse.

Name:	Zw69492.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	789280  
Old 10-23-2007, 08:43 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

ORIGINAL: johnvb-RCU

Remby

Hogflyer

I had to have knee surgery from trying to start my 1973 Triumph Tiger before I got the Boyer ignition figured out.

LOL, I had an SR500 as well and went close to breaking my ankle for the first two weeks till I found the compression lever
Old 10-23-2007, 08:45 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: johnvb-RCU

Back in the day a friend of mine had a BSA 500 single with manual spark advance. One would forgrt to retard the spark no more than once!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: jessiej

Back in the day a friend of mine had a BSA 500 single with manual spark advance. One would forgrt to retard the spark no more than once!
A friend of mine (killed on his Concours, riding to work-RIP Mike) was a vintage racer and told me that BSA stands for "B@#$^* Stopped Again".
Old 10-26-2007, 06:50 PM
tangerine-jack

No connection between those who fly 1/2A and those who live the TRIUMPH of motorcylcling. There are two kinds of bikers, hogs that wallow in mud, and those that experience the TRIUMPH of owning a proper motor bike.

Name:	Tr51088.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	791067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83020.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	791068  
Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 PM
vicman

Default RE: 1948 Indian Chief and Small Stuff

Hi TJ! It's great to see you pop in!

I am a Triumph phan too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.