Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

is there a connection between 1/2a and motorcycles?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

is there a connection between 1/2a and motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:00 AM
balsaworks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1948 Indian Chief and Small Stuff

My connection with motorbikes is that I take care of some accident victims; 10 or so every year, for the last 20 years.
Let me just remind you all to ride with care….

95% of the guys I see (they’re all guys) are in 18-25 age frame, so you can bet that attitude is a major factor here.
Nearly all of them have smashed into cars that unexpectedly made a turn, or crossed the road in front of them. Nearly all have been riding so fast that the cars in front probably never even knew what hit them.

I don´t know anything about motorbikes, but it seems to me that there are plenty of bikes around with throttles that are even worse than what we struggle with in our ½A planes – it´s either 0 or 100 mph, and nothing in between…..

Seriously, no matter how good you are as a driver, you can never entirely predict the actions of other vehicles, and when bad things happen on a motorbike, you have NO protection.

Have fun, and ride safely
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 PM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! That last rather gloomy pose sure stopped this thread!

jess
Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 PM
catracer343

Weird, eh'?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38812.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	813814   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42487.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	813815  
Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's surprising how many 1/2A forum lurkers this thread has uncovered. Obviously "we" (the regulars) are being "watched".

Catracer, you're track riding a DUC? Novice I'm guessing from the numbering and background colour.

And balsaworks, I hear ya. As a moderator on a local sportbike forum I've seen far too many reports of deaths and serious accidents locally over the past few years. A reminder to be careful when riding isn't out of place. We all need that now and then. It's why I also chose to go and play at the local race tracks when I wanted to get serious about going fast rather than try to prove some sort of nonsense on the roads.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:21 PM
jessiej

I think the connection is not just 1/2A so much as that many who are attracted to model aviation are interested in many things mechanical. I have had a lifetime interest in planes, bikes, guns, cars and many other things that have parts that fit (and hopefully work) together.

Let me echo Bruces' admonition about keeping the go-fast play on the track and dirt and off the public roads. Regardless of ones skill or experience It is all to often difficult to avoid disaster from other motorists. A young couple was killed near my home a few weeks ago by a car running a stop sign.

jess