Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP hornet .09

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:31 AM
GhostRider32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP hornet .09

Is this engine any good or is it a bunch of headaches? How agout the Thunder Tiger GP-07 or GP-10? I've been reading some of this 1/2a stuff and am getting the bug to build one.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 AM
hkbii

Default RE: AP hornet .09

Howdie GhostRider 32. I have been braking mine in,(Ap .09) I have ran 16 oz. throu it and am very pleased with it so far. It starts as soon as I touch it with the starter and is starting to idle very nice. I dont have a tack so I cant say what the rpm are but it shure spools up. I was conserned that there was a lot of slop in the wrist pin but after the fifth or sixth run it feels ok. I'll have it in the next zip that Im building now. Some say its grate and some say there junk. I think it comes down to....Did I get a good one or a bad one? I read a lot of the post here and figuerd Id roll the dice and try one. hkbii.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 AM
microsprint9

Well i don't have an AP .09 but i do have a TT.07, it does run good and throttles very well, it is a little heavy and doesn't put out huge power #'s, i'm getting 17000rpm on an APC 6x3 but i bought a Herr lil extra awile back and desperatly waited for the Norvel .074 to come back in stock, that never happened so i ended up putting a magnum .15 on it and i wasn't disappointed, at $59.99 this is a great engine that is both light and powerful.
I thought the AP .09 and AP .15 are the same physical size, what is the weight of the AP .09? if it's up there you might want to consider a Magnum .15 and just upscale the plane a bit.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the norvel i have spins the 6x3 at 23,000 or so maybe higher.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the demise of Norvel our choice has dropped, do have have a 074 norvel great engine, 061s I did not have good luck with (lots of posts on this one) bought the hornets ,(09) hornets heavy yes, powehouse no. they were converted to diesel and make reasonable power close to PAWs and they throttle better too, I have a TT 07 on the way and it will get a diesel head to pick up some power
I have converted a number of electrics to IC by glow or diesel a little decathalon, goldberg tiger 400, and a couple of piper cubs.and are still park flyers quiet martin
Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AMB

With the demise of Norvel our choice has dropped, do have have a 074 norvel great engine, 061s I did not have good luck with (lots of posts on this one) bought the hornets ,(09) hornets heavy yes, powehouse no. they were converted to diesel and make reasonable power close to PAWs and they throttle better too, I have a TT 07 on the way and it will get a diesel head to pick up some power
I have converted a number of electrics to IC by glow or diesel a little decathalon, goldberg tiger 400, and a couple of piper cubs.and are still park flyers quiet martin
I had a Goldberg tiger 400 with a Norvel .074 in it great plane until I got a glitch, I have a chipmunk same size waiting for me to get to it......Rog
Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one advantage to the AP .09 is it has a small rear muffler, so you can hide in most airframes, but then again it's also much longer than most .10 sized engines due to the feature. I've heard good and bad about the TT .07, but I think most poor running conditions are caused by improper tuning or over proping, my general finding is anything thats made more idiot proof tends to be timed pretty lazy, it make the engine more user friendly, but performance will suffer.
Just my 2C