Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A society

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A society

http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/about.html

This is an interesting read, and should be good for a bunch of creative ideas for us.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:35 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im just a die hard castor loving nut
, and there we have it, a name.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

How about the IRRMAA - International Really Really Miniature Aircraft Association?

Seriously, though, I like the idea of a SIG for our planes. I'm going to let it percolate through my noggin for a while.

David
Old 09-01-2008, 08:45 PM
digital_trucker

I don't think we want a frivolous name, do we? Wouldn't it be better to have something more official and serious-sounding? Not pretentious, but something that that inspires respect instead of a chuckle (we get enough of that from the general modelling public).
Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
planebuilder66

I chuckle everytime I fly a 1/2A, because I have to fly at about head level to make it look proportinate to all the 1/4 to 1/3 gassers flying 300' up.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM
tangerine-jack

Yeah, a serious name but a fun organization, Not too many rules, but enough that the "purity" of 1/2A glow power is not obscured into "well it has a small wingspan so what if it's electric". Something to chew on for certain. The object is to preserve the nostalgic feel of no throttle 2ch (or even 1ch), but still include those that run 4 ch micro.

Yes, nothing done overnight. There are a multitude of items to look at (I do have a checklist for such things), but getting a name and a web domain is a good first step. From there we can decide what exactly counts as 1/2A, and the rest is filling in the blanks. Once the web page is set up, we can chat room in there to hash out some finer details.

Yes, if we don't get a snicker on our faces when flying the little planes we love so much what's the point? Preserving the fun is what this organization will be about, plus getting respect as we will move from "toy" planes to "vintage" aircraft.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 PM
digital_trucker

What I don't want to see is this become a purely nostalgia group. We need to have as much emphasis placed on innovation also. We need to blend the history with the state-of-the-art.

Honestly (and I'm not saying this out of ego or self-interest) I haven't seen a name suggestion yet I like as well as my initial one. Surely you creative guys can come up with something appropriate!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

thats a good name i like that
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM
longdan

I guess you need to know whether you want a name, an acronym, or an acronym that forms a name, and make a decision on whether the name will also be the URL. Just because it's not available as a domain name, does that rule it out as a name for the group?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's some ideas:
1/2A FOREVER
.049s FOREVER
SOCIETY of SMALL FLIGHT
SOCIETY of 1/2A FLIGHT
SOCIETY of MICRO FLIGHT
1/2A BROTHERHOOD
.049 BROTHERHOOD
Between RCU and RCG, I wonder what a new 1/2A group can offer that the existing forums don't? If you guys can identify a purpose that this [RCU] forum isn't filling, then it will have a chance to succeed. Something like a 1/2A engine work sub forum?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 PM
longdan

I like the brotherhood thing. Then one can put it as part of their profile on here, kind of like the 'Revver bro #...". But one does not want to exclude those engines from .051 to .09 by pushing the 1/2A aspect too hard.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
flyinrog

Didnt we do this a few years ago?,, a 1/2a society that burned out in 6 months//...I think we did..Rog
Old 09-02-2008, 06:37 AM
eroc144

One of my other hobbies is fly-fishing for trout (FFFT), which has been going through its own cultural change over the past 20 years if not longer. FFFT has been moving from the era of split-bamboo / red wine / tweed to hobbyists who say "dude" and mean it - Quite a shock for a sport with such staid roots. Anyway, there are a lot of similarities between FFFT and the 1/2a community, which has strong roots in the formative years of the RC hobby (proven by pictures of hobbyists wearing ties, fedoras, and dress-shoes while flying).

Translation: Embrace the future or die. If we pick a "ARF vs build" fight we lose. If we position ourselves as an [link=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anachronism]anachronism[/link] we'll stay pretty much on the path we're on right now. If we pick an electric vs glow fight we're missing a valuable opportunity to expose people who already like to fly to this sector of the hobby. In short, we need to be uniters not dividers, and this requires some of us to make a non-trivial mental shift. I've listed a few areas below for this group to consider as potential starting points for discussion.

What's the goal?
- Revive interest and membership in 1/2a radio controlled aircraft
- Provide product manufacturers with incentives to invest in this sector of the RC sport (eg, profit)
-

Who's the target audience?
- Existing RC fliers - X%
- New to RC fliers - Y%

How do we reach them?
Existing Fliers
- ?
- ?
New to RC fliers
- ?
- ?

How do we interest them?
- Low cost of ownership
- High field availability (parks)
- Speed to field (quick builds, ARFs, etc)
- Vibrant community

What methods do we use to accomplish the above?
- Reintroduce the RC community to 1/2a flying - MAN, Backyard Fliers, etc
- Move 1/2a sector from anachronism to mainstream
- Visible presence at shows, expos, etc.
- Embrace all things new as good for the sport

Main messages
- 1/2a flying is inexpensive
- 1/2a flying can be done close to your home
- Tinkering with IC engines is fun / cool
- Just do it - Build or ARF doesn't matter

Again, just my $0.02

EG

PS - Use of the word "society" will ensure our demise. We need to think YouTube, Facebook, MP3, etc. Dude.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 AM
digital_trucker

cp and rog - this isn't intended to be a forum, but an actual organisation.

Eroc has his finger on the sore, with the possible exception of electric flight. The small electrics are pretty much covered under the 'park flyer' label see http://www.modelaircraft.org/parkflyer.aspx I'm not saying we should get into the electric vs. glow fight, but we should stick with the IC engine requirement. Going after ARFs is an excellent idea, there are lots of good small ARF's that will make a good IC conversion, and that might help to inspire the makers to venture into small glow ARF's (the Sig Nitro Rascal is good for THAT one as well).

Just like everyone else, I think picking the name is no trivial matter, it will define the group and set the tone for the whole thing (and possibly determine whether it ultimately succeeds or not). It might be good to figure out a name that's hip with the kids and their iPods and Youtubeses and whatnot (said a little tongue-in-cheek).
Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 AM
longdan

eroc144 - You have really given us some food for thought. All those points are vital to the survival of an organisation such as what is being proposed. I'm not actually worried about what its called, just being a part of it. But, I do think to attract new people, it does need a catchy name. And, lets face it, it NEEDS to attract new people rather than just be another forum that we all log onto every now and again.
I'm a member of 1/2A All The Way, and I check it out every now and then, but apart from a few new plane pics every couple of weeks, it doesn't really hold my interest. My intention isn't to bag a particular site, but just to let you know that it has been tried before and that without passion and commitment, the society/group/SIG will die.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 AM
longdan

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Didnt we do this a few years ago?,, a 1/2a society that burned out in 6 months

Well, you have just been given a second chance. This is your opportunity to not let it burn out. It will just take a bit of commitment. I already have a few things to submit to the Society once it is up and running. Does anyone else?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 AM
digital_trucker

I maintain that somehow we need to incorporate the word 'micro' along with 'IC' and/or 'Engine' in the name. After all, that's the focus of the whole shebang.

Here's a possibility: MICA - Micro Internal Combustion Association. People will pay more attention to the acronym rather than the name, I think.

One thing to keep in mind, something like this needs an online presence, but it absolutely MUST have it's focus in the 'real world'.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Look at the North American Speed Society......NASS

They are a dieing breed of C/L Speed flyers. Judging fom the forum, they are down to less than 50 active flyers. Their web page is informational. The forum is a great place to get info, talk about the old days, keep track of what is going on.

the Miniature Aircraft Combat Association.....MACA was set up the same way last time I checked. Newcomers should be able to find whatever they need there.

same story with the RCCA......Radio Control Combat Association. Big emphasis on how to get with the program.

These clubs are all competition driven so the only way to get involved in a hurry is through them. A general purpose .049 RC club needs to be just as informational.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:45 AM
longdan

CP I hear what your saying. Competition fuels the sport. Organised events can only promote our hobby. There is no such thin as bad publicity here. But, pushing the organised event thing and the 'international' theme at the same time can cause divisions - those that can attend, and those that because of thousands of miles, can't attend.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 AM
planebuilder66

O.K., you all seem to be on track, but can't decide on a name, the mission statement is in a rough draft and have to find a way to market it to new potential fliers coming into the hobby. I suggest a network with people listed by general area in their state, that way they can contact the member via e-mail and get assistance if needed to explore 1/2A flight, heck maybe take the guy or gal to the field with a LST 1/2A and show him first hand how fun it can be. I for one am sick of everytime I walk into a hobbyshop and only see 40 sized arfs and motors, nothing small, so naturally the employees are going to push the mass public into small electrics or mid-nitro planes. The site should be informative and helpful, but go further and offer real world help for those who want to try small nitro flight.
I would put my name on the list with my e-mail(s) to reach me if they want assistance with the hobby. I know I'm super busy but you have to sacrifice time to ensure others will be sucessfull in the hobby too, get involved and help it grow, not only online but at the field too.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: longdan

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Didnt we do this a few years ago?,, a 1/2a society that burned out in 6 months

Well, you have just been given a second chance. This is your opportunity to not let it burn out. It will just take a bit of commitment. I already have a few things to submit to the Society once it is up and running. Does anyone else?
I'm all for saving 1/2A, but I would say that collectively we are preaching to the choir here..not to be the downer here, I'm guessing most of us have a few forums we go to to see whats going on, I go to beginners mostly for laughs, electric forums to see whats the latest and micro flyers...and heli forums and speed prop forum....there is no "latest" gadget in 1/2A we are mostly old hangers-on guys,, I have ask my club memebers to every fly in//, reedie race I have....guess who shows, the one in the crowd that always says" dang I thought ya'll were at the other field"....and on another note, next year I am dropping down to 1 race..will check with the crew about the date, I'm thinkin mid June...Rog
Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM
digital_trucker

Rog - this is precisely why I'm trying to get this idea off the ground. We need to get past the choir, and the ones that are already 'in the know'. Staying online in a forum environment isn't going to work, we need to get out in the actual air and promote in an organized way.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM
flyinrog

I'll work with what ever you give me DT...I know there are guys out there buying stuff off the bay and yeah some of them pay$100 for a golden bee because they had one as a kid and it'll never see fuel , and there are hoarders (like me), I saw a nib norvel .061 go for $123 the other day, I paid $100 for the Meccoa/toki .05 and am building a 1980 TopFlite Schoolmaster II for it, but the big picture is your wanting to introduce people into a section of the hobby that doesnt offer engines anymore..........yes there is a lifetime of cox engines on the bay, but only a select few can make a cadillac out of a cox and I am not one of those people...when Norvel went down it hurt the hobby probably more than even we realize....a decent throttle (yes you generally dont need a throttle on an .049 but people still want one) a small fairly effective light weight muffler and what I considered a good price.......how much can you do with a sure start?..how many kits are left?..we have benifited from the rise of electrics with light weight planes, but that is by accident.....Rog
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 PM
digital_trucker

Rog - you're making my argument for me *grin* The whole idea is to resurrect 1/2A, and to do that we have to organise a SIG. That's just the way the world works these days.

In any case, we still need to come up with an appropriate and effective name, let's have those ideas folks! It needs to be respectable-sounding, simple, catchy, and reflects the mission of the SIG. Let's gather together a handful of candidates and make a poll.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This all reads like some kind of six sigma nightmare come true.

The only .5a stuff I see and do is done thru this thread. A snappy name and website won't do a thing for me since I already waste enough time here in RCU.
1/2A brotherhood is a neat idea. I would like to request #41 or .41

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.