Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mini Servos

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 05:02 PM
Zeke Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Servos

Hi,

My local hobby shop quoted me approx $50 cdn per mini servo. When I look at eBay it seems you can get mini servos for as low as $10 US ($13 cdn). The ones on eBay are 9gram and 18 gram micro servos. I'm wondering what is a typical price to pay for mini servos and is there some reason there might be such a variance in the price of mini servos? Are the ones on eBay garbage for instance?
Old 05-22-2003, 05:19 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Mini Servos

http://www.balsapr.com/?
Old 05-22-2003, 06:22 PM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

Default Mini Servos

Also try www.servocity.com , they have free shipping, atleast in the USA.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mini Servos

For the good prices in Canada, go to http://www.greathobbies.com

I think I found the eBay ones you are talking about. The brand isn't mentioned so there's no way of knowing the quality. I might buy a couple to try out. At the very least they should be good for throttle.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:18 AM
Msaint
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Mini Servos

Originally posted by Unforgiven
Hi,

My local hobby shop quoted me approx $50 cdn per mini servo. When I look at eBay it seems you can get mini servos for as low as $10 US ($13 cdn). The ones on eBay are 9gram and 18 gram micro servos. I'm wondering what is a typical price to pay for mini servos and is there some reason there might be such a variance in the price of mini servos? Are the ones on eBay garbage for instance?

I have purchased some of each size of the servos you mentioned you saw on ebay as far as I can tell the ones I got were Knockoffs of the GWS servos with no brand sticker on them. Havent had any problems with them to date. I have 24 of them of diffrent sizes as of this posting.

However the one guy I think he was in Arazona will sell them direct http://www.allerc.com/ I now just order direct from him when I need servos. Also the guys over at http://www.balsapr.com/ Will treat you nicely if you want some brand name stuff. But keep in mind there is no way you will be able to purchase name brand servos as low as someone in Asia is dumping these no branders on the US market.

Oh seeing as your in canada there is a canadian company selling them no branders also I forget the url to their site however. Im sure if you ask the canadian electric flying guys they will know who it is. I think their name had Wind in it somewhere not sure Seems the companies heavy into electrics all now are atarting to carry these no band servos. They all tend to run round 10-12 bucks depending on the size. As with most no brand stuff look them over good and check operation before putting them in your plane as quality control on items with no brand names on them tends to be a bit less than desired. Other than that I have disassembled one of each size and found them to be of reasonable quality for the money.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:32 AM
Msaint

Default Mini Servos

Ahh just a side note I just surfed over to allerc.com and he is now carrying the replacement gearsets for the generic servos.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:33 AM
Msaint

Default Re: Re: Mini Servos

Just noticed balsa products is carrying a line of servos called Blue Bird they seam to be priced quite nice anyone try any of them yet?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Leo Wong

Default RE: Mini Servos

For the good prices ,pls go to www.flyermate.com
Old 12-21-2007, 06:43 AM
longdan

The LHS can be a massive rip off on a lot of things, especially those items that come out of China. Why not buy from the same place that the ebay sellers & LHS buy from?
Check out [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?catname=All+Servo s&idCategory=84&ParentCat=189]this[/link] site.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

google Draganfly too, I think they are in or near Canada...
Rog
Old 12-21-2007, 07:46 AM
longdan

How many of you use these cheap servos with glow engines? I'm interested in finding out about premature failures. Or are they as good as any major brand name servo?I'm talking about the types of servos that are advertised [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?catname=All+Servo s&idCategory=84&ParentCat=189]here[/link]
Old 12-21-2007, 08:04 AM
small_rcer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the BlueBird servos from Balsa Products and have had 100% failure in 049 use. The wires between the armature windings and the commutator break in the electric motors. They are stretched too tight and the vibration causes the wire to fail due to work hardening. Also most of these low price servos come with no mounting grommets and a hole too small to allow the grommets to be used, even if you have the grommets. The result is that they are directly mounted to the servo rails. With no vibration isolation they will fail. Not a matter of if they will fail, but only a matter of when.

My experience with them. They appear to be intended for electric use ONLY.

I have questioned the Hitec people closely. They assure me the HS55 are intended to be used in 1/2a glow power use. I specifically mentioned the failure of the wires in the servo motors and they said that it does not appear to be an issue as they were widely used in small glow applications. I choose to use the HS81 as they are heavier built compared to the HS55.

Having said that when I build my .020 this winter I will use HS55. I have some of the United Hobby $3.50 servos that I am going to use as a throttle servo on my ASP Wasps. 5g cheap throw away servos! In a throttle application if they fail they are an annoyance not a pending disaster.

Happy Holidays

Jim H

Old 12-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Yuu

I'd like to see a debate on this too: Some servos are mounted using double-side sticky tape...one application noted a thin plywood sheet which has a smooth epoxy side to mount the tape to. The other side of the plywood is glued to the fuse. Plywood to be parallel to the direction of the control rod. [if perpendicular, the 'push-pull' will work the tape loose.] SO: how much vibration will this assembly dissipate? Does anyone use the tape for mounting servos?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:26 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

I think I found the eBay ones you are talking about. The brand isn't mentioned so there's no way of knowing the quality. I might buy a couple to try out. At the very least they should be good for throttle.

Another very good source to deal with in Canada is www.zebrahobby.ca . I've done 3 orders with them and each time I had the order in my hands well within a week from the time I hit the "send" button.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Bipe Flyer

It looks like Leo Wong is digging up old servo related threads to advertise flyermate.com.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

Another very good source to deal with in Canada is www.zebrahobby.ca . I've done 3 orders with them and each time I had the order in my hands well within a week from the time I hit the "send" button.
I've used them dozens of times and they have great service and prices. Although, I hadn't purchased from the yet when I origilally posted to this thread in 2003! LOL[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-21-2007, 05:40 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enterprising Chinaman