Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

flying in wind

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 07:15 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoa Digger

Very well put Digger, You are a well rounded individual, both in your education and compassion, like you say just when you think you know it all. you find out you don't know crap about a gazillion other things, I come from a family of intellectual bullies, they have no friends, I on the other hand being the dummy in the barrel have friends and a rewarding life, Go figure, and one more thing, I know what I know, and you know what you know, so lets share and both be that much smarter, very well put Digger you the man!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default flying in wind

Originally posted by Digger

People will not remember your name, they will forget who you are, and even what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

Randy (Digger) Birt
That is the most accurate sentence in this entire thread and probably the only thing said that I will remember. :thumbup:
Old 08-18-2003, 09:21 PM
mtthomps
My Feedback: (2)

Default flying in wind

As I recall, it all started with the remark about needing to go back to *elementary* school if I didn't agree with erroneous conclusions. I was not the first to make such derogatory remarks. I have gone back and re-read this entire post. I do not see where I have insulted anyone. If I have, I apologize. This very topic has been discussed, in my experience and presence, about 20 times in the last 20 years. I do not claim to "know everything" about aerodynamics and physics. But these concepts are among the lowest level physics and elemetary aerodynamics that are taught. These are accepted facts far beyond any dissention. I am 42 years old, and have a LOT of real world experience. I have also had the opportunity to teach classes on various technical subjects and I am reguarded as a very effective and easy to understand instructor, even though it is not my profession. Going to a first year physics class in high school should give anyone all they need to know to settle the concepts being debated in this thread.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:10 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Default flying in wind

Hello, how are you? I am fine.

Hey, Sam, ole buddy ole pal, what's shakin'? I'm just crackers.

Two sentences, conveying the same message. Both from the same person. The difference? Could be one day, nothing went right, got ragged out by the boss, had to take a cut in pay, smacked my best plane, etc. The other day, first flight went perfect, got a raise, won the lottery etc.

Or,, two sentences from two different people. The difference? For one, a lifetime of hard knocks and hard luck, family tragedies, poor health etc. The other, endowed with talent, intellect, educational and professional opportunities, perfect health etc.

Damned communication by text. Emoticons help but I find myself ignoring them when they're too frequent. It takes two or three to catch my eye.

Some have a talent for writing in an entertaining and humorous style. Some less so. Talk to either one in person and you might get a somewhat different impression. Or not. It depends. None of us know each other except by what we've written and how we have expressed our ideas. We know very little about each of our backgrounds, life circumstances or present state of personal or professional affairs.

Some of us have a passion for what we believe to be true. Some of us could care less as in, "opinions are like you know what, everyone's got one", let's go fly. Some of us bristle at lies and dishonesty. Some of us go along to get along. Some of us fall in between the two camps, depending on the issue. What makes a conservative? What makes a liberal? Genetics? Nature? Nurture? Both? Neither?

I've read the entire thread twice. I detected no INTENTIONAL slur or provocation by ANYONE,, only misunderstanding and exasperation. Both parties had different POINTS OF VIEW. Not differing opinions necessarily, as both came to essentially the same conclusions, but each had a different viewpoint. One on the ground and one in the air. It's all about nuances and ambiguity. NOTHING is black and white. EVERYTHING has a spectrum. There are ALWAYS mitigating circumstance.

BOTH cared very much that wrong information might lead the inexperienced to grief. Both cared enough for their fellow modeler to express their opinions. BOTH had the best of intentions. Both are to be commended for that.

Now, for those with an aerodynamics education,,, if the Bernoulli principle is solely responsible for lift, (as most high school physics textbooks IMPLY), how come my pattern plane, with a fully symmetrical airfoil, manages to fly just fine?

Some of us will have just enough intellectual curiosity to engage in a discussion of the subject, qualified or not. It could even get heated and passionate. But some of us will think, " dunno but I do know it's got a wing and the last time the dowels pulled out and the wing came off, the plane stopped flying." "That's it, that's all, lets fix it and go flying."

Yes, let's reflect a moment, fix this thing,, and go flying,,, and not in the wind.