Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

AME engine mod's for racing

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AME engine mod's for racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AME engine mod's for racing

Just a note here to say I finnally got my website back online after my server died. Anyway, the modifications I do to the Norvel AME 1/2a engines are described there. Check it out if interested.
www.toadsrc.com follow the "My Engines" link
Old 10-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: AME engine mod's for racing

Sweet!
Old 10-05-2008, 01:19 AM
forsakenrider

YAY! ive been checking it every second day wondering what happend!
Now to tune mine!

thanks!
Old 10-05-2008, 03:24 AM
Big Al-RCU

Thanks for sharing your info!! Great site.
Al
Old 10-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Larry Driskill

Lot's of valuable information.

Nicely done.

Top drawer site.

'just one request.

Could you add a photo of her mother?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Larry Driskill

'just one request.

Could you add a photo of her mother?
Or grandmother!!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, they look good now but 30 years from now it's not so hot, that's why I always want to meet the parents!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Toad

Hehehe, her mom is 79 yrs old this yr, and I did check her mother out before I married the younger lol ,
my tools are getting worn out. It dont matter how they look now.

Thanks for the compliments guys, Im going to try and add more to that site soon. Like my own engine build and failures, stuff like that. Im burned out on computers this week though, its alot of work for my feeble mind .
Old 10-05-2008, 12:20 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Where are you hosting the new site? I can't get in right now.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:35 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Toad

Hehehe, her mom is 79 yrs old this yr, and I did check her mother out before I married the younger lol ,
my tools are getting worn out. It dont matter how they look now.

Thanks for the compliments guys, Im going to try and add more to that site soon. Like my own engine build and failures, stuff like that. Im burned out on computers this week though, its alot of work for my feeble mind .
As we get older looks don't count so much on a personal level like they used too but we still remember what good lookin' looks like.

What I want t know these days if they can handle a chicken stick and can they sand worth a hoot! I know how to cook and wash clothes.

Robert
Old 10-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Toad

Well, she hasn't tried to use a chicken stick, I cant cook very well at all, she did haul me to get stitches one day from the field. She does go flying with me about 1/2 the time. She likes to get outside . As far as where I am hosting the site, That would be from my Model room. it's my own server and I have been getting updates for the software all weekend long it seems, requiring many re-boots. I dont like having my site hosted elswhere. It's much easier to make changes on the site right where it exists with out uploading and all that. It's just another hobby of mine. Wife thinks I'm nutts. I have two regular computers at my desk and also the server, a laptop in the garage that I use to run a foam cutter and a cad/cam system for my machines. and of course she has her own comp also, so we have 5 active computers on at any moment in this house. It's fun when it all works right.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

I can't get to your site right now....So for a .061 you need a .049 case to re-bore to true it up? All the case's I have belong to engines right now. What do you do if you need to mod a .049 to true it up?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Toad

I dont know why you couldnt get onto my site, seems fine on my end, anyway, if you cannot start with the ,049 case, the .061 case is dialed in flat first, (on the case to cyl surface) then dial in on the bore of the cyl after assembling it on the case in the mill, being very carefull so you dont disturb the "flatness" condition. All this after you have dialed in the quill of the mill square with the table (called tramming in). Now, take the cylinder back off, and face the case the desired amount, deburr the resulting burrs on the case, making sure you take off the minimum amount needed to remove the burr without rounding or leaving a chamfer on the bore edges. The better the setup and the more "anal" you are about being precise and minimun deburring, really pays off here.

Let me know how it goes

*edited for bad grammer and spelling as usual.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 PM
forsakenrider

Hey toad, My .061 has such a pinch at TDC that I cant even flip the prop to get it started, it just bounces back and forth, or gets stuck. I got it used off EBAY, what could be wrong?

after i get it going I will fallow your site to make it scream (I hope)
Old 10-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Toad

Use your MonoKote heat gun to warm it up a bit before you start it, then it will go, run it a few tanks and it wont be that tight anymore.
If you have to run it out in the field, where you cant get a heat gun to it, take the head off, put some oil in the cyl, leave the fuel line off and spin it with your starter for a few minutes, keep the oil in there. that will loosen it enough to allow it to start. If hand starting, then the only option is to sit down in front of the tv and hand flip it a bunch of times with out the head on it and well lubed. untill it can go over TDC on a flip but will still stick if rotated slowly. then it should be ready to run. the last option will take some time. Like an hr. Others may have some advice on this also, these are just what I do. Dont do all the mod's I show on my site to the BigMig, the gain is not as much as with the AME, IMHO, not worth it.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:59 PM
forsakenrider

Ok thanks toad! ill try it this weekend (the tv method, ha). as for the mods, i was just going to to the crank shaft mods. What about the piston? is that worth while or naw?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Toad

the Piston mod is well worth it. That is the whole idea, less rotationg mass and more fuel flow. Go heap Fast.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:34 PM
forsakenrider

well I still cant get it to go and this is getting frustrating! I guess I need more time infront of the tv, or to get a heat gun. after about 1/2 hour last night infront of the tv it was flipping good, it was late so i put it on the shelf. This morning it still seemed to flip good so i set it up and filled up the tank. after the fuel got into the engine it started to get sticky. Hand starting I get one POP and then it sticks at tdc on the next rotation.

I guess I will oil spin it in front of the tv for a whole movie.... *sigh* and people say cox 049's are hard to start! PFFFT!

I havent done any mods yet, Im hoping to get it going first so i can see improvements. Also, my piston has a round cut out on the rear side, i didnt notice this in any of your unmodded pics....
Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

I would definitely try the heat gun or the wife's / gf's hair dryer.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:19 PM
ProBroJoe

It's gonna be really tough hand starting this little guy until a few tanks have been run through (obviously). Most definitely preheat the cylinder or resort to electric assistance! If you don't have the means for either, I would suggest putting on a larger than normal prop, like a 7x3 (nylon) for added flywheel effect. Also, how you have your prop "clocked" can have a great impact on the ease of hand-starting. I like to have the prop tips pointed ~ 2 and 8 o'clock when I just start to feel compression - your results may vary. Careful with the nylon props though as even in this size they can slash you up pretty good (bad?) even flipping an engine over.

Oh, it may be worth starting without a muffler and using a drop or two of fuel directly on the piston (with the exhaust port closed) as a "port prime" to get 'er going.

Hope this helps,

-Joe
Old 10-20-2008, 06:55 PM
mikegordon10

I have several Norvels and I can't even imagine trying to start one (new or not) without a proper 1/2 A electric starter. Am I just lazy or are the rest of you finger flippers just nuts!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just nuts, I guess!!

I hand start everything that I fly, from .049's to .40's. Admittedly, starting a new NORVEL can be aggrevating at times. I use a heat gun to loosen the pinch a bit and sometimes will use a spring starter on a C/L tank mount. I don't flip cold to loosen it up, but prefer to get it up to running temp as quickly as possible. I have a small shield on a rod that I can place in front of the cylinder to block airflow to help it warm up - that way, I can run a very rich 2 cycle, yet still hold heat.

andrew
Old 11-07-2008, 03:14 PM
forsakenrider

Pfft! that was easy to hand start after heating it up a bit. It sure sounds mean running rich, like a harley! Now that I know it runs good its time to try your mods toad! Thanks!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:29 PM
forsakenrider

Well I am happy now toad! my toadified Bigmig 061 turns a windsor prop cut down to 4.5x4 at 25200 steady on 30% nitro. I didnt even do all of the toad mods. I did the piston, crank and venturi mods. I dont have the machinery do do a crank case facing. This is with the muffler pressure. I cant get it started without the muffler but I think this will be fixed when I can make a pressure backplate. Im betting it would be better on one of those cf props. I will have to order some along with some NV's.

I am also waiting for an AME in the mail finally! too bad its got the RC carb so I will have to wait untill i can get a CL venturi.

I guess its time to tear it apart and see If I can get more out of it.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:13 AM
DeviousDave

That's awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.