Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New radio prob

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New radio prob

Well I made a few mistakes in my search for a radio and ended up buying 2 of them...one of which I had to send to tower to have the xtal changed out ...heres part of the email I got...the "fee" was $25 to do the work
Repair Parts Used Item Parts Labor
Qty Item Item # Description Charge Charge
1 HSP90076 6EXAP TX ONLY 40.00
1 HSP00003 TRANSMITTER ONLY FREQ CHANGE 25.00
1 HSP52592 1M17A10703 SEAL SM RND CH.40 00
1 HSP54404 3M60B07240 TX XTAL FM CH.40 00
1 HSP52493 1M17A10003 SEAL XTAL CH.40 00
1 HSP51485 1M14E01801 TX ANTENNA 2L-1 00
1 HSP10000 HANDLING CHARGE 9.99
Totals 34.99 40.00 74.99
Tax 00
Shipping 9.99
Estimate Total $: 84.98

Now add the $10 I paid to ship it there and yes you come up with darn near $100!!!!!!!Now I was expecting the $10 shipping and the $25 fee ,,but the $10 handling and the $40 for labor kinda threw me off!!....not a real happy camper about the situation...would not advise repairs/changes in the future,,just get a new one, but for my type of flying the 2.4 stuff isnt the way to go,,cant just pop out the rx and put it in another plane as the antennae have to be routed (well its not a field fix anyway).....Rog[:@]
Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New radio prob

Okay, I am confused.

That first line item says Tx only, $40.00. What does that mean? The way it reads is that you bought a Tx only for $40.00. I thought you owned it already.

The $25 fee is the labor for the freq change, I presume.

$9.99 handling, really to me that sounds like the "other half" of the shipping/handling charges, i.e. the unpacking, repacking, and diddling around with paperwork which is actually real enough but sucks to pay for, I know. It might have been easier to stomach if they had one lline item that simply said "shipping and handling - $20.00".

I would call and ask what that $40 is for, and if they know the difference between a fee and labor.

MJD
Old 10-17-2008, 07:41 PM
flyinrog

I would call and ask what that $40 is for, and if they know the difference between a fee and labor.

It is a little difficult to read, yes the tx is mine the "fee" apparently doesnt include labor which is the $40 ,,I never heard of that one either...I had the radio change from channel 39 to 40,,I coulda just bought a 1/2 a dozen rx xtals for that money if I'd known...
Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rog, what did you mean by: "but for my type of flying the 2.4 stuff isnt the way to go,,cant just pop out the rx and put it in another plane as the antennae have to be routed (well its not a field fix anyway)"

The antenna on 2.4 stuff are pretty small, no routing needed...

Just a little confused on why 2.4 isn't for you.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 AM
flyinrog

Well I guess I wanted the new 2.4 more than I needed it, I cant afford the number of rx's I need for all my planes and alot of times in the small planes you have to stuff everything in the front former area, and small antannae are supposed to be 90 degree's apart..Futaba has a parkflyer version but even that is $60....just a case of bought before I thought (again)...Rog
Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

It is a little difficult to read, yes the tx is mine the "fee" apparently doesnt include labor which is the $40 ,,I never heard of that one either
Smells like BS to me. What is the fee for? Do they have to write the FCC and pay a fee to ask for permission?

Sounds like a similar problem to so many electronics items. I have two chargers slightly out of warranty that have packed it in (a $$Triton and a cheaper charger) that just don't seem worth the repair costs.

MJD
Old 10-18-2008, 08:38 AM
BSARGE

Ouch!

Is it necessary to send out a transmitter to have the crystal changed? I have heard conflicting information about this....I swap out receiver crystals all the time.....

-Bill
Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 AM
flyinrog

As I understand it , its not so much changing the xtal as it is tuning the antenna...but as I said I sure wouldnt have if I'd known and am preparing a nasty email to that effect.....so basically this is a warning to the rest of you guys...Rog
Old 10-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Rog,

Be careful of the $60 FASST receiver. I bought one and you can't plug regular servos into it. It only takes a special plug - unlike any other I can find including the small JSTs - and Tower sells just the plugs for about $5.50! Sometimes you just gotta wonder how some people/businesses can sleep at night.

I also wonder why 2.4 receivers are $100 when they are simpler and obviously/probably cheaper to make than 72 mhz lumps. Let's hear it for the money grubbers, yea team!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray -

Look at the positive side - with all this switching to 2.4 GHz, the 72 MHz airways will clear and those of us still flying the "old" technology will have little interference to bother with. BTW, I'm still flying AM on a couple of planes.

andrew
Old 10-18-2008, 10:56 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

Rog,

Be careful of the $60 FASST receiver. I bought one and you can't plug regular servos into it. It only takes a special plug - unlike any other I can find including the small JSTs - and Tower sells just the plugs for about $5.50! Sometimes you just gotta wonder how some people/businesses can sleep at night.

I also wonder why 2.4 receivers are $100 when they are simpler and obviously/probably cheaper to make than 72 mhz lumps. Let's hear it for the money grubbers, yea team!
I saw that Ray, in fact somehow on my last tower order I accidently ordered a micro y harness so I know the plugs you are talking about (still have it and cant use it if someone needs it)...looks to be yet another way for us to use different($) stuff to spend more money on, I think its for indoor use too....Rog
Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Rog,

Bring that weird #$%&* Y-harness to the next swap meet on Nov. 8th (I think it is) and I'll buy it from you - if you still don't want it. I need to buy some anyway so I can convert some servos to work with the receiver and there's no reason for you to be stuck with it and for me to have to by another one.

Andrew,

I too fly, and will continue to do so, the "old" stuff but there are situations, like combat, where it is nice not to be concerned about "matching" frequencies. Also, the receivers are SMALL and light and don't require the same level of vibration protection and therefore can be safely (they say) mounted with just hook-n-loop which means (for me anyway) that its very easy to switch from one plane to another particularly on FFF-ies.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:37 AM
flyinrog

Found it...Shoot me a pm so I can double check your addy and I'll send it to you this week,,it looks to be one male and two female terminals on it...wierd little thing...just bring the drinks to the may funfly and its yours....Rog
Old 10-20-2008, 01:13 PM
flyinrog

Well, my nasty email yielded me next to nothing..they took off the $10 handling fee and then referred me to there site,,,??I already know about the site so there must be some fine print that explains the fee/labor thingie....still wouldnt bother with them again...Rog