Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Japanese Little Tony

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Japanese Little Tony

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 PM
forsakenrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Japanese Little Tony

Well jeeze dave, If you want to get rid of one of your seconds and a bit of build info id gladly build up a Team Canada version. Although I must admit, i have a lot on the go... but crap, theres always room for more! Toadified norvel power? Unless someone has a cyclon they dont want much for

and vic, QUIET! Im building a sailboat, a rivets, modding two norvels, building a headphone amplifier and a guitar amp for a friend.... No such thing as "one project at a time"... Oh yeah I forgot about the two ipod to cf + new firmware mods.... ugh, soo much CA on my fingers!!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:51 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I can work that out.

The tea sippers need a scary guy in the crowd once in a while[>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38301.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1074893  
Old 11-19-2008, 08:17 AM
forsakenrider

Dang tea sippers! When I go into my LHS and ask for half/a stuff its always "Half WHO??? CASTER-what?" and balsa... "why dont you just buy rtf? no one builds anymore". I cant imagine what the local field would say if I showed up with a 140mph screamin 1/2a plane, thats why I'm building more then one! OH OH, the best is the NO THROTTLE guy.... I made him fly my DNU and he almost peed himself. He said It flew perfect but was too fast! hahaha. "WHY CANT I SLOW IT DOWN" he screamed!

Tea sippers, pfft!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 AM
vicman

The good thing is my buddy is bigger than me. So they really are stuck between saying something or just laughing at our jokes....its easier that way.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 11-19-2008, 01:55 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boots and short or are those cut off dress pants? [:'(]

Old 11-19-2008, 02:11 PM
vicman

Hi Jeff,
It's good to see you are still around. I was hoping to share the podium with you at the reedie race but alas you decided to hang out with your tea sipper buddies.

What's up with you not accepting a PM? I have some info for this year's racing activities I would like to forward to you.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:16 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

I lurk in here every now and again. I don't know what happed to the pm's, but it should be fixed now.

Tea sipping buddies? Chris is English so it's expected... I'd love to do a reedie race, I just don't have the equipment. I have a GLH and a Norvel .061, can I use that?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:42 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I brought a box of common 1/2A engines into my LHS and they looked at me as if I had a dead alien in there.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:47 PM
vicman

Gettin a little off topic from an awsome looking plane here. If you do a search on Reedie Race you will learn everything you want to know about races around here.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: vicman

Bro, you recieved a pm on this thing. I'm game for either glo or lekkie power. It would be fun to spank a few guys at my Speed Rally next June with this thing. FYI I will need to be in the 180+ range to do any spankin.
That or you can accept my invitation to come down here and drink all my beer and do the spankin yourself.

If you're doing a one time event, you'd be better off buying one of the ARF composite racers like the Stinger, Sokol, Sprint etc.

ETA: You ain't going to go 180mph without spending at least $800. Going 140 is a WHOOOOLE lot cheaper.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 PM
DeviousDave

Hi Jeff,
It's good to see you are still around. I was hoping to share the podium with you at the reedie race but alas you decided to hang out with your tea sipper buddies.

What's up with you not accepting a PM? I have some info for this year's racing activities I would like to forward to you.

You got somethin' against tea sippers? [:@]

Dave (born in Lakenheath, England*)

*But I ain't no Limey....
Old 11-19-2008, 09:13 PM
DeviousDave

Gettin a little off topic from an awsome looking plane here. If you do a search on Reedie Race you will learn everything you want to know about races around here.

Yes, let's get back to that Little Toni! Wanna know more about it, would like to see the mold, fuse and wing weight etc.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 PM
vicman

You got somethin' against tea sippers?

Awww snap! The whole dang hobby is turning into Tea Sippers and nice guys. No more room for the nut jobs.

Back to the Toni!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Big Al-RCU

[[/quote]

You got somethin' against tea sippers? [:@]

*But I ain't no Limey....
[/quote]

Dave,
Yeah, I got a beef. I was in England (as a NAA tech rep) back in 1959 and was playing the sixpence slot machines at the Lakenheath (or maybe nearby Milldenhall) O-club and it paid off in Lincoln head pennies! Turns out that a tanner and a Lincoln cent are the same size and the machine took either one! Apparently some transient airman had come in with a pocketful of pennies. The USAF bases in England were on script at the time, so no green or US coins were in local circulation. But, I got even! I put all the pennies back in and even tho I went home broke, I didn’t loose as much as I would have had I played with real sixpence coins!!
al
Old 11-20-2008, 05:51 PM
DeviousDave

LoL!

Both of my dads were stationed there. The had a lot in common; both worked on nukes, both rode motorcycles, both had the same woman in their lives...
Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 PM
vicman

Both of my dads were stationed there. The had a lot in common; both worked on nukes, both rode motorcycles, both had the same woman in their lives...
I got nothin for that![X(]
Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 AM
digital_trucker

Say Dave, I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out a way to engineer the fuselage for this design I've been wrassling with (the Paramour, see the link). I'm beginning to think a glass fuse might be just the ticket. Any ideas where I can find step-by-step instructions for making one? I've never messed with that sort of thing.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8002888
Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

DT, you could make layout lines for an ellipse by pulling a loop of string [pencil attached] around 2 fixed points. Do your layout work on a block of foam, then layout the station marks for bulkheads [aka formers] and then shape it with man-you-ell labor. Once the shape is to your liking, then chop the foam fuselage up to create your bulkhead templates.

BTW, a digital camera is an excellent tool for checking your work during the shaping process. Take photos at sharp angles to the light to reveal flaws.

Another method for plotting your outlines is to do it on graph paper with "polynomial" algebra. You might have done it in high school and this is the real world application for it.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:46 PM
digital_trucker

Getting the outlines for it and shaping the foam isn't an issue. I'm pretty conversant with CAD. I'm just wondering what the step-by-step process is for producing a glass part from a plug. OTOH, I'm also slightly modifying the outline to be more conducive to making from balsa (and still hacing room for radio gear and suchlike).
Old 11-21-2008, 07:58 PM
combatpigg

The Harry Higley book called Master Modeling shows some very good techniques. I've spent hours at the composites forum, there is a lot of great info there. Also, there is a lot of great info at the pylon forums. Ed Smith is the glass man overthere.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:08 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
Another method for plotting your outlines is to do it on graph paper with "polynomial" algebra. You might have done it in high school and this is the real world application for it.
CP I love it when you talk dirty.
al
Old 11-22-2008, 03:16 AM
combatpigg

Hey Al......it takes one to know one!!
If you were like me, I never could see any reason to know why it was important to know what x3+x2+x was for. I should approach the education system and show them that all you need to do is take a length of piano wire and bend it to whatever shape that looks about right, then trace it.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:23 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

Say Dave, I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out a way to engineer the fuselage for this design I've been wrassling with (the Paramour, see the link). I'm beginning to think a glass fuse might be just the ticket. Any ideas where I can find step-by-step instructions for making one? I've never messed with that sort of thing.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8002888

DT, the best advice I can give you is what was told to me: Spend the bulk of your time and sweat making a really nice plug. Making the mold isn't difficult, but it will never be any better than the plug you started with. The easiest way to make a mold is to do it with a 2 pc. fuse. This way you can screw the left and right halves to a piece of plexiglass and lay up a bondo mold in a single day. A Bondo mold will last a minimum of 2 weeks, longer if you store it bolted together-sometimes they can last for a long, long time under ideal conditions.

I can walk you thru the process, or even help you with the mold if you want to drive over to detroit once you are happy with your plug. It is not very hard to make a mold, just takes a lot of prep. Kind of like making a fuse-you only spend maybe 20 minutes laying up the nicest competition weight bodies with kevlar and carbon reinforcements in all the right areas, but the preparations (cutting cloth, waxing and mold releasing the mold halves, getting paint brushes and popsickle sticks, measuring resins, staging microballoons, getting the mold screws waxed, etc). This is then followed by cleanup, which consists of getting the resin off of your scissors, seam rubbing tools, work bench, etc.

Oh wait,.... I have pics. But I'm not going to hijack another thread so I'll start a new one.[8D]

ETA: David Fee on the Ezone/RCgroups has or had nice tutorial on his website on how to make molds. He does some things a little different than I/We here in the Michigan Pylon Mafia do, but his site helped me out when I made my mold. I had seen parts of molds made at my friend's house, but never all the way done and his information either filled in a few gaps or validated the way I thought it should be done. Nice guy too.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:09 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Roger Nice Guy! - Good pilot also

Flew pylon with him a couple of times in San Diego
Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Japanman

Update...
I have been chasing my tail about a number of things here, but last weekend Nakahashi came over with the Little Tony to show me how far a long he was. He was very modest on the phone, because I can tell you that this is the most beautifully finished model aeroplane I have ever seen.
He also brought his VA over and we spent a good time talking in the workshop while I made a new NV for it to run with a venturi. It is really not far from flying- as you can see in the picture- I`ll give you all a flying report when the day arrives.
J.M
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78980.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1172054  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.