Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr Piper Cherokee Kit .049-.061,42"

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr Piper Cherokee Kit .049-.061,42"

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 AM
crashrun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr Piper Cherokee Kit .049-.061,42"

does anyone have any experience with this kit? i tried to do a search for it on the main forum listing, but came up with nothing. i saw somewhere that someone put a .10 size engine in it, but don't remember where the thread was. i have an o.s. .20 FP that needs a home for and was wondering if it would fold the wings back in flight. i once tried to put a .32 in a plane designed to accept at max a .25, and went into an extremely high-G pullout to avoid the ground and at about 30 feet off the ground, the wings finally gave out from the stress. (it WAS a trainer...) so i do have a little experience with over powering. be it good??? i'd say not. so... about the .20 FP? and general notes about the plane and construction would be helpful in the decision if anyone knows anything.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 AM
r2champion

Default RE: Herr Piper Cherokee Kit .049-.061,42"

I built one last year with an AP .09, it was way overpowered for this type of plane. I took off the .09 with intentions of putting on an .061, just haven't gotten around to it. A .20????, Yes, the wings will probably fold. The 20 will unnecessarily add too much weight to a rather light plane. The .061 would be more than enough umph for this plane. It flies extremely stable and smooth, although it is not ideal for wind considering the amount of dihedral, without ailerons, to keep the wings level during landing. I have had it almost tip over on numerous occasions in a swift crosswind.

Altogether it builds easy, flies great, and looks good while doing it! A lot of people have added ailerons, however I see no need for them other than the crosswind takeoff/landing problems mentioned above. This also assumes you will be taking off and landing from a strip rather than hand launching and belly landing. Best of luck!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look up the house of balsa models at tower, they should be ok for your .20...Rog
Old 01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've taken something similar in design [40+ span, 300 some odd square inches] and powered it nicely with everything from a .049 - .15. The main difference was climbing ability and power off glide. All power choices gave some of everything back. The .20 takes you one step beyond, kind of a forgotten size nowadays. Any half way decently built plane in this size range should hold up to what a .20 can dish out. A pair of 1/4"x1/4" hard balsa spars and vertical webbing out to mid span will provide plenty of beef, just make sure the attachment points are up to task made out of no less than real aircraft plywood. House of Balsa does have some choices for the .19-.21. Midwest might still make a Ugly Stick 20? I ran one with a Fox .40 deluxe for many years and it was underpowered with the .40.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Acs_guitars

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6404847/anchors_6404847/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#6404847]My Herr Cherokee[/link]

I just thought I would thow this in here... The plane flew great on the Park 450 electric motor. The Park 480 would have been more sifficient as the plane was lost to a tip stall that the extra power could have pulled it out of. The plane was very docile and flew great being just a little nose heavy.

Seeing that a Park 450 or 480BL motor is enough to fly this plane, I could not imagine having a .20 nitro on the nose. Properly powered this is a kit I would recommend to anyone. The kit goes together quick and easy and the parts are top notch, but I would expect this from any Herr/SIG kit. The price is great too, though it has gone up a bit the past year just as everything else has.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM
lildiesel

.20? way too much. .15 if you actually use the throttle. A lame Enya .09 - fine!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

They make a 20 sized mustang by HOB, it should fly very nise with that under the hood.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 AM
r2champion

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I've taken something similar in design [40+ span, 300 some odd square inches] and powered it nicely with everything from a .049 - .15. The main difference was climbing ability and power off glide. All power choices gave some of everything back. The .20 takes you one step beyond, kind of a forgotten size nowadays. Any half way decently built plane in this size range should hold up to what a .20 can dish out. A pair of 1/4"x1/4" hard balsa spars and vertical webbing out to mid span will provide plenty of beef, just make sure the attachment points are up to task made out of no less than real aircraft plywood. House of Balsa does have some choices for the .19-.21. Midwest might still make a Ugly Stick 20? I ran one with a Fox .40 deluxe for many years and it was underpowered with the .40.
Agreed, however built stock, this planes wing design is pretty flimsey compared to others I have seen/built. Another thing that would have to be beefed up on this plane is the tailfeathers/control surfaces. If I remember correctly, they are 1/8" sheeting (or close to it), way too flimsey for any kind of speed. Granted, a better selection of wood of the same thickness could be substituted. Of course, an easy upgrade, but why waste a nice 1/2 design.....save the .20 for the next build!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 AM
hkbii

Howdy gents, I'd say that would be like putting a 454 in a VWBug. It could be done but you would loose all that was good in the plane. I had a Freedom 20 with a o.s 20 on it , I loved that plane. Hkbii.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually a 454 in a Bug is alot of work. An Eldorado transaxle with the hubs locked so they can't turn is the way to go. Lots of hacking, welding, etc.
Putting a .20 on a firewall mount just takes 4 screws and 15 minutes.
I've got a great big PAW .19 on a "Nickle" right now [same size plane as the Cherokee] and it is fun.....lands like a feather even with the big lump of iron up front. It's airworthy in more weather conditions set up like this, than it is powered with a .049.
I don't see what the big deal is either way, I just look at planes in this size range as being very versatile.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM
crashrun

Alright... i'll keep looking. i'm just a little hesitant with the HOB P-51 as i've purchased the smaller one as my first plane actually to build and an O.S. 10 LA for power and i really didn't like the construction of the plane, the space for the motor and particularly, the entire back bone of the plane was part of the canopy that was just to be painted. not any kind of wood at all. plastic![:'(] so i thank you all for the input, i still like the cherokee, but i'm looking for a home for the .20. i figured that would be too much for it anyway.