Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

UNFINISHED BUSINESS!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: UNFINISHED BUSINESS!!

Flight report of the Vamp-a-doo.

It was nice and windy out there and the sky was a nice shade of gray that matches the plane perfectly.

The plane ended up 13.4 ozs RTF. CG at about 28%. 3/16 each way on the elevator and half that on the ailerons.

Launching is rock solid, straight ahead. I grab the tail cone and just push it away. The vertical is like a missile and this plane is faster than what I figured, right up there with anything else I've built for 1/2A. It was too gusty to get cute with low passes, but after 4 flights it proved itself.

It glides forever and it was a challenge not to overshoot into the freshly fertilized section of the field.

Nothing broke today, flew off, blew out, blew up, caved in or went wrong.......well, the canopy glue never did thoroughly dry and it needs to be redone. I'll have to drill some holes in the roof of the engine compartment to allow ventilation, then plug them up.

The shot of the innards shows how cozy it is in there for the RC gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77365.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1224772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63950.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1224773  
Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CP, This thing is evil, wicked, mean and nasty!

Robert
Old 06-26-2009, 01:28 AM
combatpigg

Thanks Robert! It's even primer grey like all Evil Wicked & Nasty vehicles are supposed to be [8D]
Old 06-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to hear it went well. I have bult slope soarers in the twin tail configuration, looks cool, but the real motivation is it is strong when you hit a wingtip and cartwheel.
...But I think you wouldn`t want to test that with the cyclon up front.
How is your engine shaping up?

S
Old 06-26-2009, 09:17 AM
combatpigg

Hey JM!

This one was sold by DG, my first one was straight from the factory. This one is hyper-sensitive to the needle position and how I fill the bladder. I get 1 or 2 bad [lean] runs every outing. DG removes some liner pinch and sets the head at .015"
My first Cyclon was capable of a bad run every now and then, always corrected with a new glow plug or new bladder. To be completely fair about comparing the 2 engines, I'm not using the same glow plugs, fuel and bladder material with both. My main complaint is the current set up is not nearly as care free as I know it can be.
Neither Cyclon has been as care free as the old Fora. That engine you could set the needle once for the Month of July, then just gas 'n go.
On the positive side, when everything is right the Cyclons will put a smile on your face and stress every single glue joint and "engineering idea" that your plane has got.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:49 PM
combatpigg

JM, the Cyclon just about lost the plastic venturi insert, saved by the cowl. DG offered to make a tighter one out of delrin. I'll try my hand at it first, just to see if I can do it. More unfinished business.

More unfinished business....

This one goes back to last year. I took a delta that was originally powered with a .061 and decided to try a .15 on it. The first attempt sucked.....it looked like the airframe had too much torque on it. It was like a wrestling match to keep the plane upright and it slowly twisted leftwardly into the dirt.
There might even have been some glue joints on the original [1/2A] frame work that never got done. [X(]
This will be resurrection attempt #2.
The photos show what looks like an abnormally large prop for such a small air frame....I might end up running a 5x5 for the maiden flight instead of this 7x5.
Weatherman predicts 90 degrees tomorrow so there should be no reason why judgement day should get put off any longer.

Name:	Nk27889.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1228406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23019.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1228407  
Old 07-02-2009, 07:38 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5x5!
CP you are such a stud! A venturi .15 on a itsy bitsy wing[8D]

Good thing it is red - because it will be glowing orange when it makes it's reentry.

Another beauty from House of Pig!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Have fun tomorrow. I'm going on back woods Nelson hunt.[8D]
Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 PM
combatpigg

Rob, that's what today's landing looked like, RE-ENTRY. The smartest thing I did today was choose a 7x3 prop for the maiden. I figure it was going only 70 mph when it hit dirt today, instead of more like 90 with a 7x5.

The launch was perfect and the plane flew great for about 5 seconds.......then it failed to respond to a roll command and it went into a rapid, ballastic route to Hell.

I was surprised to see that the damage was so slight. The plastic engine mount broke and it popped the Monokote. Upon inspection of what went wrong, I found one of the elevon servos unplugged from the Berg RX. After plugging it back in I discovered that the servo doesn't work.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I'm going to assume that more attention to the servo matter is all that stands between this plane the way it sits now and finally having some fun with the plane tomorrow.

I don't plan on getting too fancy with tonight's repair job, though.....

Vic, good luck......

Name:	Ge95021.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1228924  
Old 07-03-2009, 01:17 PM
kpriddle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CombatPigg,

What are these?

KP

Name:	Cz80010.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1229115  
Old 07-03-2009, 01:44 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
I was surprised to see that the damage was so slight. The plastic engine mount broke and it popped the Monokote. Upon inspection of what went wrong, I found one of the elevon servos unplugged from the Berg RX. After plugging it back in I discovered that the servo doesn't work.
Wow, look at all the structure in there!

What's next - build a triangle from CF tube, cover in Monokote, then inflate to desired airfoil thickness? Hey wait.. [sm=idea.gif] .. exosekeltons and inflated airframes.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:30 PM
combatpigg

KP, those are the air sampling tubes for the airspeed recorder. It's called a "How Fast?" and has a led that flashes the speed of the last run when you "ask it". On paper this plane should go 102 mph with a 6.5x5 prop, so it will be interesting to see how close to theory and to see how efficient this delta design is in real life.

First we gotta master basic 60 mph flight with it.....

MJD, I'd like to build a 1/2A plane entirely from C/F tube and use aluminum wire joiners at the intersections. Build something like Skaliwag's full scale project.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:28 PM
skaliwag

CP.. Do it. If I can do so can you.. In miniature.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:12 PM
kpriddle

Cp,

Wow, that's somethin' else!

On this video below, the results show multiple readingsonly on"passes". How is this timed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9LrB_m3wA

KP

Old 07-03-2009, 07:17 PM
vicman

Almost 6 hours of trudging thru the chigger, tick, snake, and all other forms of irritating life form infested mountains wearing jeans, gaiters, a long sleeve shirt, and machete to stave off the briars there is still no love. [&o]

I felt a little like Job when my wife called me and told me to just forget it and come home, I said "but it's a Nelson! It's gotta be here somewhere."
Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 PM
combatpigg

The How Fast? is plugged into a spare channel and records the highest speed that it sees, which could be a dive. If you want only recording on level passes it would need to be controlled via a switched channel.

The trials of the EVIL DELTA continue......

This morning the first flight went very well with a 7x3 until it was time to glide in. On the final turn it stalled at 10 feet up and did a bounce off the spinner. This crash took more work to fix than the one yesterday that was at full speed. I took the plane home and moved the engine back almost an inch, figuring that is why it flew perfectly until it was 10 feet away from touchdown. Nose heavy.
Back to the field, still with the 7x3 prop. The flight went perfectly and the landing featured one of those "Space Shuttle" approaches. The CG is good now.
This model is touchy in the roll axis, though...but the roll rate is not that high. I think it's just a little bit heavy and eager to drop a wing if you're not careful. The speed recorded was 67 mph which is almost exactly what the ground rpm check predicted.
Next flight I'm a little bit cocky and put on a MAS 7x4. Great flight, good speed....but something is going haywire with the radio. Combine that with a touchy model and this was a wild ride. For a few seconds it looked like it was headed to Canada, but I regained control and worked it back home. It finally ran out of fuel as I circled up high, then it made a bee line away from me into the next field [>:]!!
I'll have to admit that I've had more fun in this hobby than what I've had with this plane.
The read out for speed was 113 mph.....that's some real rpm with a 4 pitch prop!
Time to move this radio gear to a different toy to see what is wrong.
I'm ready to call this evil plane "finished business".....time to move on..........

Sorry Vic.....this is the part of the sport that no one tells ya about

Name:	Ki18547.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1229284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19286.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1229285  
Old 07-03-2009, 09:31 PM
vicman

Sorry Vic.....this is the part of the sport that no one tells ya about
Sounds like a handfull buddy. Do you like your How Fast? I've been kicking around buying one or two of those for a long time.

After today those locator things don't sound so corny anymore.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:38 PM
combatpigg

Vic, the HF? is a fun little gizmo but at $50 kind of a stretch.

A TX that you could glue to your favorite engine might be money better spent?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:05 AM
MJD

[link=http://www.walstonretrieval.com/sub-2.htm]Engine finder..[/link]

MJD
Old 07-04-2009, 08:56 AM
combatpigg

I had a golden retriever who found everything. You could hit a golf ball 500 feet back into the woods and she would find it. They cost a lot initially but they are priceless dogs. They should only live where they have room to roam.

I wonder how well those TXs hold up wired to a buzzing engine?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:35 PM
kpriddle

CP,

Thank you for the further explanation. I suppose that it depends on what you want and what you are willing to add to the plane.

By the way, some results you got there! What else did you change between the second and third flight that gave you more speed? Prop change couldn't have been the single reason for this, could it?

KP
Old 07-04-2009, 03:57 PM
combatpigg

I figure that the engine would have needed to hit almost 30,000 rpm with a 4 pitch prop to make this plane go 113 mph. Hmmm.... I know for sure that I've seen it tach in the low to mid 20's with a 6.5x5 prop, more runs would be needed to back up the 113 mph claim. The only other change was I went for an aggressive needle setting on the faster run.
The model looked like it was doing 100, but when you are in panic mode with the plane intermittently going out of control, it is hard to be a good judge. 5 minutes seems like a half hour and 100 mph seems more like 190.
For some reason the MAS 7x4 and 7x5 props give my .15s great results. I haven't done enough testing with .15 speed planes to know if they are better than APC, but they seem hard to beat for a $2 prop.
For about $4, the 6.5x5 APC is even better, but I'm going to reserve props like that for planes that are better behaved.
This plane's going to become part of my barn's decor in the rafters.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:29 PM
vicman

MJD, I didn't have that much in the engine![X(]
Old 07-04-2009, 08:56 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: vicman

MJD, I didn't have that much in the engine![X(]
Yeah that's the problem. A $150 insurance policy ain't worth it on a $79.95 engine!

A small length of fluoerescent plastic marker ribbon, maybe 24-30" - that plastic stuff in a roll for cheap, ya know? - firmly fixed to a short fishing leader clipped to the engine, could be easily rolled up in a small tight cylinder, and inserted into a small tube recessed in the airframe. Might show up better on the ground. Kind of like a streamer recovery rocket.

MJD

p.s. edit - I added a helpful illustration..

Name:	Db85128.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1229898  
Old 07-04-2009, 11:22 PM
combatpigg

MJD, I can see how those 5 years of ART you took in high school paid off!
The streamer's a good idea. Nothing sucks worse than tromping around looking for your lost engine............well, tromping around looking for someone else's lost engine is even worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.