Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Which way do they fly Down Under?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Which way do they fly Down Under?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:37 AM
sir crashallot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which way do they fly Down Under?

i just realised somthing!!!!!

over here in the uk we are forbiden to fly a model without either a nose cone or fro scale models round end nuts. Reason being is they could cause further damge to someone if they where very unlucky enough to be attacked by a plane, im very suprised they let you fly like that. but lets face it here in the uk we have rules for everything and at our club flying without any of the 2 methods i stated would get you a warning and if it happend again the person would be bared from the club.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No such rule here, I don't have any nose cone on any of my engines. Here they are used by people with electric starters and possibly also for good looks. Can't really see how being hit by a cone shaped aluminium piece would hurt less than a regular nut?
Surely the spinning prop would be the main problem...
Old 10-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Big Al-RCU

Some years ago here in the US we had “AMA Safety Nuts”, nuts with a rounded nose. Many engines of that era came with them, Can’t remember if they were an AMA requirement or just a recommendation.
But haven’t heard the term used for ages.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:53 AM
sir crashallot

well id rather have a nose cone hit me in the head rather then the bare end of a crankshaft, the end of a crank hitting you in the head at hi speed would most likely kill you straight out or at least give you nasty skull fractures, where as the plastic nose cone would no be much better but it has that crumple factor to it also its shape alone can in some case cause it to hit ur head and slide at an angle off it though the damage would still be serious. either way around it im not trying to cause arguments guys just thought id mention it to ya, and that round nut that you call an ama safety nut we use those on scale jobs, and if i remember we used to get them provided with the old merco engines, people used to despise those engines but i love them but its getting hold of them now, bags of power for such a small engine and they turn bigger props very easily but are not a revers engine.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:00 AM
SGC

I thought rockets had nose cones and aircraft have spinners
Old 11-01-2009, 08:37 AM
sir crashallot

lmao very quick sgc yes spinner is what i meant, i had a long night last night till 2am dj'ing and not had much sleep due to a big headache due to all the loud music and couldnt remember the technical term. but thank you for correcting me i actually appreciate it.