Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Older and grumpier than thou!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Older and grumpier than thou!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
wolfy888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older and grumpier than thou!

Since that thread got locked.....I'm 48 and proud to snxxxxx. Oh. Haven't been to the other site, but I have run into those who would put a large damper on our Nitro-fueled fun. Most of them seem to be the HOA-type persnicketies that can't stand noise (or engine music as we call it). Thanks, I'll measure my OWN grass. Let's see what trouble this stirs up.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Older and grumpier than thou!

It got locked because a few folks thought it had too much foul language and too much angst directed at the "other" site and reported it as such. Keep it clean and sweet and about the age of us grumpy old guys in this forum and it'll fly.

And to add I'm 56, retired from a cushy....er... make that stressful and demanding gov't job with a pension for the past 10 months and lovin' it. I just spent the last two days ignoring my other non modeling related hobbies and have been working on a free flight Sparky rubber model. I've downloaded and printed the plans for the Mini Mambo and Lil' Esquire from Dave's site and I'm thinking that one or both of them seems like a really good idea to build in the next few weeks. I also like long walks on the beach at sunset and apple pie with cinnamon in it. My hobbies are... oh nutz, there isn't enough room before the session times out for THAT list....
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Gentlemen! I hereby proclaim that I am living proof that men do NOT automatically turn grumpy as they age. I do recognize that it is true for some of youse who are past a certain age. But I, at the prime of my life (67.66) maintain a most cheerful outlook on life at all times. Not only that but I strive to understand the shortcomings of others (particularly loud and obnoxious types who hog the center of the runway with their enormous ARFs).

On the other hand, I do feel it is incumbent on those of us who have taken advantage of the experience that advanced years has provided to develop a keen awareness of our role here in the small-glow-community. That is, to share our wisdom and knowledge freely - and with minimal costs (just pay extra shipping and handling).

So, it is with the deepest understanding that I encourage those of you with lesser sensitivities to vent away - for I know in my heart of hearts that one day (with patience and a supreme effort) youse too may achieve the wisdom and serenity that I enjoy. (Once again, its time for my nap.)
Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

...youse too may achieve the wisdom and serenity that I enjoy. (Once again, its time for my nap.)
I think you spelled senility wrong. Oh man, that was too good to pass up.

Seriously though, this forum has the friendliest, most helpful, generous bunch of grumpy old men you'll ever find anywhere.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long as we keep up on the meds.

For sure, put a real 1/2A question here and I'd be surprised if you don't get the straight skinny on it within half a day. Without too much abuse in the process..

MJD
Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just cause we remember Wen Macs, AJ Firebabies and Missle Mist doesn't mean we're old, does it? It wasn't that long ago, right?

Something worth checking out on the "other site" is the "post your 1/2a pic" threads. There are some great faux jets and faux multis by peterangus and others; an English Electric Lightening ducted fan powered by Cox 049, some terrific Guillow and Sterling conversions for PAW and 020, a beautiful original Lockheed Altair for .020, an immaculate Jr. Falcon, a nice sport original for .09 from Slovenia complete with a very nice plan, a delightful little 020 Waco cabin and many others. Some have also shown up here, but some certainly have not, and in any case it's nice having them in one place.

Jim
Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

"Senility!" Well I never!

(But a darn good shot Bipe!)
Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

MISSLE MIST! ? ! ? Oh man, that was great stuff!
Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I had forgotten about "missle mist" - weren't the cans purple or something?

Old 02-19-2010, 03:18 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember purple cans too, and the wonderful aroma! It WAS good stuff, just the thing for a Cox, without buying that over-priced slop in the blue cans that didn't even have enough nitro for the engines they made.

Missle Mist had a mix of nitromethane and nitroEthane, not that it probably mattered. Now why the heck do I remember that?

MM had a total of 25% nitro, vs. only 15% in Cox blue.

Jim
Old 02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Bipe Flyer

Fox is making Missle Mist again. http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/inde...oducts_id=1488
Old 02-19-2010, 04:40 PM
wolfy888

Wellnow!
Missle mist WAS good stuff, as I recall, but I had the advantage that my dad was running an A/fuel slingshot rail whilst I and my brothers were running all the Cox and Testors planes and cars we could get our hands on. Thus we had access to 55-gallon drums of both nitromethane and methyl alcohol to blend our own fuels. At one point I ran a blend that was roughly 60% nitro, and man did those motors scream on that, until they popped the head off. Those were the days.....These days my fuel of choice is Norvel 25%, but I'm looking for some 40% to run my Wasp .061. Book says to break-in using 15%, but I think 25% will be O.K. as long as I keep it sloppy rich for the first few oz's. I hope this little motor is as good as it looks to be.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:16 PM
AndyW

I remember Missile Mist. I also remember that when you ran it, it had a sweet kind of smell a smell that I haven't enjoyed in a good many years despite having some ealry (not early enough?) Cox fuel. I don't know who made Cox fuel in the early 60s but I know that I have some made by Wildcat. I know they made it because I got it from them packaged in Cox bottles,,, long story. It was/is good fuel but still that sweet aroma is missing. Or am I dreaming. Anyone else?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:55 PM
build light

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

I had forgotten about ''missle mist'' - weren't the cans purple or something?

Yes of course it was and not only was the can purple, the fuel was too! For that I used to wish there were a way to see the fuel inside but the metallic art on the can would not have looked so cool

Robert
Old 02-20-2010, 03:05 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

The Missile Mist being made now is 17% oil...didn't the old stuff have more oil in it?
Tee Dee .049's sure liked the stuff...we used a lot of it in the 70's.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:45 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about some of the other old fuels like Nitro-X, Exothermic-28, Fox Blast, OK Cub, Testor's 39, K&B 100 and 1000, etc.

As far as grumpy, I try to follow a philosophy that a friend mentioned years ago, "Never pass up an opportunity to make someone feel better", thus my favorite saying, "Love People, Use Things"...which sets my priorities.

George
Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Max_Power

I'm mad at you old guys because you're usually right!! And on top of that you guys used up all the pleasant bloody finger flipping methanol stinging fun that these engines took to get a handle on .! What am I supposed to do now when i can just search, heed your advice and make all my Halfies run well? Unfortunately, Due to Industrial revolution technology I'll prolly never get the chance to be in on the initial group of hobbyist that figured out how to make some thing like these pesky screamers run! HMMMPFFFFF But sorry as far as smells go there is one think that beats high nitro....The smell of my Predator Gasser Helicopter on castor and camp fuel makes me feel like i'm cruising my old dirt bike and eating a Hebrew national Dog at the same time! Todd
Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 PM
wolfy888

This Norvel fuel I got at the local hobby shop claims 21% castor, so it's a little on the messy side, I'd guess. I'll have to look around for Missile Mist. I'm curious about it, if I can't find something in a higher nitro content, but there's a race-fuel shop not far from me, so maybe I can go back to custom blends. Well see.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: wolfy888
This Norvel fuel I got at the local hobby shop claims 21% castor, so it's a little on the messy side, I'd guess. I'll have to look around for Missile Mist. I'm curious about it, if I can't find something in a higher nitro content, but there's a race-fuel shop not far from me, so maybe I can go back to custom blends. Well see.
wolfy,

Where did you get your NORVEL figures, from the container? The last time I got NVX fuel it was from NORVEL before SIG took over. At that time it was being made by Wildcat Fuels and, if I remember correctly, the lube content at that time was 18% synthetic. I added castor to bring it up in the 20%-22% range. The SIG site does not appear to post oil content. Although you can run 17% lube in your Wasp, the 21% should provide longer engine life and, under some conditions, better performance.

I think if you search around you will find higher nitro content. What are you running that you need more than 35%...up in the destructive range? If I remember correctly, at ~60% nitro you need something to hold the ingredients together...as well as the engine.

I'll have to "fess up" to using Fox Blast for awhile, which I think was 50% nitro.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

George
Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
wolfy888

George, the label says 21% pure castor, but somehow I don,t quite believe it after these posts. Your suggestion to add some more , I think I'll take. I think that there's probably synthetic in there somewhere, which is why I don't much care for commercial fuels anyway. Here in the southeast, I am not far from a fuel supplier that carries various forms of racing fuels, and so I can get gallons of whatever I want; I'm going to purchase some pure ingredients and blend my own fuel. They supply all the local stock car, Go-kart and drag racers with their fuels, and the prices are reasonable. When I called last week to ask, they said they had a small supply of fuel-grade castor oil, and verified that it is a low ash, low varnish compound. I'd offer to blend for others, but the cost(s) of shipping and permitting HAZMATs are quite prohibitive, and I'm a poor man. Red Max fuels are made in Clover, S.C., and I'd suggest hunting for their website, as they've made me four-gallon lots of fuel in the past. I haven't seen any ads or anything else about them for a long time, but I do believe they're still in business. Good luck; if I find it on this end I'll pass it on. Wolfy
Old 02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Bipe Flyer

Wolfy,

Red Max is still being made by FHS in Clover, SC. http://www.fhsoils.com I get my 1/2A fuel from them custom mixed with 20% Castor.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM
fizzwater2

I used to buy Red Max fuels when I dabbled in Formula 1 RC racing - 65% nitro typically.

I only see quarts on their website - do they no longer sell in gallons? When we race Q500, the club supplies the fuel. Quarts would be a major inconvenience since everyone fuels from the same source, we'd forever be opening new bottles.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:40 PM
skaliwag

When you buy in gallons there is a HAZMAT fee.. No charge on quarts, even if you get four or more of them.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:24 PM
fizzwater2

I figured as much, actually, especially since they list 20 qt package pricing.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM
wolfy888

Thanks for the link guys, Clover is only 60 miles from here, so shipping will be cheap! I thought they were still around, and I've had good experience with their products ALL the times that I used them. Hope this helps all of us grumpy (deaf) old men that still appreciate the smell of nitromethane; it's a perfume that I'm still trying to bottle so my spouse will wear it (maybe a fru-fru label can sell her on it, but I doubt it). Meanwhile I bought a gallon of nitro and a gallon of methanol plus some of that castor that I mentioned at the fuel store, and showed them some of these hilarious posts. Even the snot-nosed kids were laughing! I'll let you know what results from my hydrometer and bench tests. BTW, nitro was 24.97/gal., while methanol went for $8. I'm just giddy at the thought of the smell; too bad it's raining, and even my stupid butt won't run it indoors. Wolfy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.