Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Diesel pusher

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Malgera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel pusher

Hi,

It's been a while since I've been here, getting a job got in the way big time.

Anyway I'm back at it now, I've got my .049 delta's going again too and I've got ideas to make a pusher for my paw .55

Is there anything I should know before I get going in terms of the engine, If I have it running as a pusher i have a feeling that having the prop driver in contact with the crank case it could wear things out faster.

I thought a pusher would be a good idea as it would keep all the oil off the plane, and the little engine away from front impacts.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:05 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Diesel pusher

I can't comment on the overall wisdom of this-but it is certainly feasible to do-I would however recommend getting a brass, steel or bronze washer to interpose between the prop driver and the front of the c rankcase-being only a single ballrace engine, the PAW 55 shaft is not axially located the way it is in a twin BB engine, and there will be fore and aft play possible-and hence the chance -in pusher mode-of galling betwewen the prop driver rear face and the front face of the crankcase.Hence a shim washer to take up the fore and aft play and act as a pseodo thrust bearing is a good idea for this particular usage.Sizing/clearance constraints howevrer may mean-depending on tolerances that you have to get one machined up of just the right thickness to restrict movement-but not totally eliminate all play. You want a few (5-10 thou) of fore and aft movement. But your typical; PAW 55 has about 1mm of shaft play. Small Parts has a rtange of thin silicon bronze washers that might do the trick. Ideally, a suitable thrust bearing could be fitted-but you are unlikely to find a commercial one that will fit. Obviously your range of props for pusher use with a PAW 55 will be quite a bit more limited than for tractor use-another point to consider.

'ffkiwi'
Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On pusher props for the 55, I found a Cox 5*3 three bladed prop which seems to work pretty well. There might still be a few around.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cox international in Canada has the 3 blade Cox props martin