RCU Forums - View Single Post - my cub flies a lil funny
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my cub flies a lil funny

ORIGINAL: opie99

it is hard to say but i would have to say it rolls.................... i did notice one of my ailerons looks to be a lil warped but it doesnt look to be to bad, ................... i also noticed that one side of my elevator is not perfectly mounted in the middle of the horizontal stabilizer, don t really know how to fix that one. ......................... the plans say the thrust line is 2deg down and 2deg to the right if i remember correctly, anyone know a good way to measure to check?
kyle,

If the plane is balanced laterally and the wings or stab are not warped or have different angles of incidence (side to side), then the plane may have more lifting area on the left side (this includes wing area and stab area as well).
Not trying to say here that your building skills are poor or anything like that; just that it is something worth to be verified.

As you know, there are two types of balance: one is the static balance (the one you have measured side to side), the second is the dynamic balance (the one created by the airflow over the wing and stab).
There is no practical way to compensate an unbalance with another: both types must be equally in equilibrium for a hands-off trimming.

For example, the wingtip weight that is helping you in level flight, will work against you during inverted flight and during landing.

I suggest you determining how off the stab is, and try correcting it by reducing the excess of area.

Don't worry much about the thrust angles, since they are there to compensate for the several effects of the propeller, which in any event would tend to roll the plane to the left.