RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use
Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 PM
4nn4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use

ORIGINAL: 4nn4
Btw,I may explain why I interest to build, this is may different from other who may use for RC/Lab purpose. I am thinking to use it as power source 12VDC of my portable air inflator (which isusually use for emergency air inflator for car's tyre using cigars lighter or directly car's battery 12v power source).
However I may use this air inflator a lot around my home so a 220VAC-12VDC converter is needed. But the current needed to run this inflator around rated 20-30A and as you know it's quite expensive to buy real converter AC-DC who can supply much current.
So if is possible to draw out allthe current from 500W ATX power supply for 12VDC only, if I eliminate all other voltage ?. I just need DCV +12V
The PS label state +12V 10A and I count there is 6 yellow 12V cable avalaible to use
Thank you for your kind advice
Regards,
Just for updating, Ihave manage to build this PSU, using 400watt and adding a H4 55/60W (car's halogen bulb headlamp) as a load, it gives a steady 12.2 volt. And my inflator is working fine, surprisingly the PSU can handle the load. The bulb lamp turn on not to bright, so good as an indicator too. And since now, I have use this PSU to supply electronic/car's hardware like horn etc whenever I dismantle it on bench and required 12VDC on demand.

Thanks for this great site !