RCU Forums - View Single Post - Solutions for AMA's membership decline
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Solutions for AMA's membership decline

ORIGINAL: RogerParrett

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

The hobby needs more involvement from the younger crowd. Simple as that. That job to an extent is up to all of us who actively enjoy the hobby now. My club is involved in mall shows, learn to fly days, public events during flying season etc... Things like that have helped our membership climb

So next weekend, get the neighbor kid who's been eyeing up your Mustang, get him to the field and let him tickle the sticks. The smallest spark can lead to the largest fire.... that's how it worked for me, and I would bet most of you as well.

Best regards to all,
Dan
Hi Dan (Split-S)... The AMA - it seems - understands the need to bring the younger crowd into the fold. On the surface, I think that's a noble idea, but I think the AMA overlooks something. In my case, and of lot of people I've talked with, I was always interested in model airplanes. Free flight, u-control, etc. That is, until I went to college (no money), got married (no time), and then had kids (no money / no time). So my activities (but not interest) was put on hold for over 20 years. Again, I hear the same story from others. I feel that getting the young guns involved is a band-aid as we would quickly lose them to college, married life, starting careers and families, etc.

Now for you young folks who think I'm against you. Wrong. I'm just being realistic about how you'll spend the first 15 - 20 years of your life ''post-teenager''.

I wrote the AMA a year or so ago and told them it might be a good idea to partner with organizations such as the AARP. By the time a guy is 50+, hopefully he's got more time on his hands, maybe a bit more spending money, and maybe even a grandkid or two to haul to the flying field. The reception I got from the AMA was not - in my opinion - encouraging. Purely from a revenue perspective, the AMA should see the value of hooking a 50+ year old guy and keeping him for 10 or 15 years (or longer), as opposed to getting a 18 - 20 year old that will leave after 2 years, and maybe return 20 years later.

That said, I really enjoy watching the handful of young guns at our field. I wish we had 50 more just like them. I understand AMA's position, but I believe they are overlooking a more stable revenue and membership source.

Best Regards... Roger Parrett / Dayton / OH

Roger I see that you are relatively a newcomer to this activity. You pick up quickly as your proposal is what some of us have been trying to get established for years. There are some far more smart than I could even hope to be and that is what they have been telling the AMA "Round Table".

It is so easy to be a "for the children" type, but the real money is with those that have both the funds and the time. Unfortunately it seems NFP organizations dwell on hiring the Empire Builders to manage things and they seem to manage building nests more so than much else.

So Roger, IMO you have nailed things down very well.