View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: my cub flies a lil funny

Opie99 and all readers,

The Cub is not tricky to fly.

The situation is that many have the kind of problems that Opie is experiencing.
Something is not correct with the geometry of the airplane. It is a matter of findng what the cause is.

It is usually easy to find when we have access to the airplane but only things to look at can be mentioned in a forum. It is also necessary to look at things in specific ways. How to look at certain things is not always easy to explain by writing text.

How to look for main wings warp has been explained nicely but how well to look depends on whoever is doing the looking.

How to check or mesure side thrust and downthrust does not need great accuracy but a closeby figure is needed. We have to assume here that the figures given are appropriate.

Any trim should not exceed 3 to 5 degrees. If 30 degrees are needed to keep the wings level, there sure is a geometrical problem; either warp, incidence angle or area distributon. It can also be airfoil. As an example, if the covering on the top of the wings is not fastened properly it can lift in flight and change the airfoil. It can happen on one wing more than the other creating a serious lift unbalance.

What else can I say trying to help a fellow ? A good understanding of the forces acting on an airplane inflight both static conditonson the ground and dynamic conditons in flight are essential to help find the cause and correct it.

Wishing good luck in finding and correcting the problem(s).

Zor