RCU Forums - View Single Post - prop style for Saito .82 FS
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: prop style for Saito .82 FS

I must say after trying a couple of the Xoar (Beechwood, made in Germany) sport version that I am very impressed just on the looks and finish alone. They are very well crafted and were perfectly balanced at the factory; as is their promise. Run about 10% more $ than ProZingers for like size.

A few more tidbits for IMa: APC are quieter than, as far as I know, any other prop. They use the same parameters (and engineers) as they did to develop props for military submarines. At our field they are good for a few dB noise reduction.

Pattern props are designed to allow a down line of equivalent speed to an upline in pattern planes. (i.e.: a square loop that does not slow down much going straight up or speed up going straight down!) They are designed more for torque than flat-out speed. Also, for four-stroke glow engines or gasoline 2-stroke, pretty much. Pylon props are designed for flat out speed. Sport props have a wider envelope but excel at neither.

Wood props are usually beech or maple. Maple is heavier, so beech would be the choice if you are a throttle jockey. Believe it of not - some pilots fly level at half throttle mostly and compensate for the model's changes in attitude by adding or reducing engine power. I know several flyers who don't know of this technique. ;-)