RCU Forums - View Single Post - New 50cc Hellcat is for real
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 50cc Hellcat is for real

OK It's time to show this beast off. These are photos of the 2nd prototype of our new 50cc F6F Hellcat ARF. The new plane is going into production and the first run should be here in the January/February time frame.

Specs are 85" wing span, length approximately 64". The length can vary a bit because the builder may want to pus a lightweight engine forward to improve balance. Weight with a DLE-55 is between 20 and 21 lbs, the first sample weighed exactly 21 lbs. RTF with a half tank of gas.

Changes from the first sample include hidden glue-in composite control horns, revised canopy, shorter cowl, fully sheeted wing, revised ailerons and flaps, and many many other small items.

The Hellcat will be available as shown, or with a slightly longer cowl to allow the engine to be pushed out even farther. I flew the first prototype on a DLE-55/long cowl and the balance was perfect, with the shorter cowl you can use a heavier engine or shove a lot of weight to the front and make it balance, it can be done but it's easier with the long cowl. I'm thinking short cowl and either TOC-53 or G62 with electronic ignition, some engine around 4 lbs. A 3w anything would work well also.

Wings are fully sheeted, fuselage is almost fully sheeted except the bottom is covered, this is again to keep weight out of the tail. The Hellcat has a tunnel which could be used for a canister, but I'm actually using it as a place to mount the air tank for the retracts.

Speaking of retracts we will have billet aluminum retracts available pre-mounted in the plane. These are works of art and so far have worked quite reliably.

The cowl mounts with a cowl ring so no fasteners are showing, the plane is a lot like our aerobatic planes with full length removable hatch, wings and stabs mounted on CF tubes, it's very easy to live with.

This Hellcat is very close to scale and flies like a trainer, and i Mean that literally. My adrenalin was pumping on the first flight but it turns out to have been for nothing, it flies straight and true, lands easily with or without the flaps. With flaps you could almost land it without watching it, it sets up in a perfect glide slope and you just keep the wings level and feed in a little up elevator near the ground. And it will fly most aerobatics too!

The price is planned for around $1,095 with pre-mounted retracts, both main gear and tailwheel.

TF

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46329.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	1501924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67572.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	1501925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17483.jpg
Views:	52