RCU Forums - View Single Post - DLE30!
Thread: DLE30!
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE30!

Forgive the cut and paste but I wrote this the last time this question was brought up and didn't want to have to type it all out the next time.

First of all, our weed whackers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, scooters,motorcycles,and yes, even our model airplane gas engines have been running on E10 fuels for years with NO adverse effects whatsoever, period. At first, we're talking overtwo decades ago, the alcohol did pose some minor issues, incompatiblematerials used back then have been changed a long time ago and it's not been an issue for many years.

Secondly, I do not knowof any kind of trend of informed people going to Coleman fuel for their2-stroke engines. I'm on the engine forums of several sites every day, once in a while someone will bring the question of camp fuel upbut I haven't seen itfor quite some time now. There are several reasons NOT to useColeman fuel inan internal combustion engine and I cannot think of one reason to use it, and no, alcoholand odorare not goodreasons to use it over gasoline.

Reasons NOT to use Coleman fuel in an internal combustion engine:

No manufacturer of any IC engine endorses it's use
Coleman themselves warns against using it in IC engines,read the label
Octane rating of Coleman fuel can be anywhere from about 56 to around 72, very low and inconsistent
Low octane fuel is very volatile, increases the likelihood of detonation, and burns much hotter than gasoline
It will always void the warranty of any modern model aircraft engine, yes we can tell, no I won't tell how
The low odor can prevent the detection of a dangerous concentration of vapors if there was a spill
Because of it's volatility,it takes a much lower concentration of vapor to pose a risk of an explosive ignition

Reasons to use Coleman fuel in an internal combustion engine:

My friend said he heard it was okay
It was on the internet

Can't think of any more good reasons

I really don't care what people want to run their engines but I really don't understand howthis evergot started in the first place. Maybe the fact that it's acceptable to use unleaded gasoline in a Coleman camp stove or lantern lead someone to pourwhite gas in their vehicle when they ran out of fuel on their way home from camping. I don't know but it doesn't work both ways in this case.
I'm sure you cantell I have a strong opinion on the subject, please forgive my frankness.