RCU Forums - View Single Post - Engine For Kwik FLi Mk. III
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 12:31 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine For Kwik FLi Mk. III

This morning I disassembled the O.S. Max H60F. I was a little concerned when I removed the back plate and head and saw what looked like rust on the sleeve! Turned out to be just some dried up oil and goo! The bearings seem good, just a little gummy. Overall the internals look pretty good.

I bought some Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner to clean up the corrosion on the cast aluminum parts. This stuff is a blend of three different acids! I tested it on the back plate first. The instructions say to spray it on and let it soak for 30 seconds then rinse with water. So I did that and it did clean it up a bit, but not to where I was hoping it would. So I it did it two more time and each time I let it soak a little longer, 1 minute and again for 2 minutes.

You can see by the photos that there is a definite difference, before and after. But it's still not quite what I was looking for. I was hoping the cleaner would etch the aluminum to the point where it would be a more even color. Somewhat like a new casting would be. Maybe soaking it longer might help, I don't know. I don't want to soak it too long and turn it black! Maybe I'm expecting too much, it does look much better than it did. I might take the back plate to work and hit it lightly with the bead blaster. This might give me what I'm looking for.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84879.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1506473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70674.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1506474   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26194.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	44.2 KB