RCU Forums - View Single Post - NEW! Traxxas Rally VXL
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW! Traxxas Rally VXL

As a guy obsessed with drifting, andoff-the-beaten-path racing in general,Im very suprised that Ive never heard of this Gymkhana driving. That was INCREDIBLE. Thx Dirty for bein the first to show me this whole "new" world.

As for the RC, Im not thrilled but Im not entirely appalled. Drifting RC;s was mentioned, and after the research Ive done Im not impressed with those at all. Great concept, but everyone seems to be talking about using ABS and PVC for tires, PLASTIC? That kinda eliminates the purpose. If this car is meant to be good for drift AND rally i dont think it will be a strong performer in either just because they are completely different situations. Unless the car is meant to put so much power to the ground to keep rubber tires broken free on pavement in rear wheel drive then switch over to 4WD for rally and grip as well as slide, I dont feel it would be a champion. I mention drive trains because in the world of drift, 4WD cars are powersliders, not drifters. In the world of Rally, rear wheel drive is pitiful and makes as much sense as running a front wheel drive CORR truck. And while rally driving IS done partially on tarmac it is also done partially in the dirt, sand, snow, etc. A vehicle that does well here will NEVER do well on pavement alone. Part of the rally driving experience is the transition from the smooth pavement to the rough off-road, where sometimes the only "road" is little more than a woodland trail. Point being, if youre gonna make a car and call it rally, great. Make it the best at doing just that. If youre going to make a car for Drift, good, make one with enough balls to break rubber from pavement without making the compound plastic-hard. Same things could be said for this Gymkhana.

This being said, the car looks like it would be good for burning up your local culdesac or ripping thru some rougher parking lots. It might also be good to slap some ABS on and, ugh, "drift". It could also be useful for noobs of all species to cut their teeth on the pavement ina mini that might be a little more forgiving than a purpose built anything.

This said, as I see Traxxas has been frequenting this thread, I must say GREAT work on the VXL Slash 4X4 (1/10). Ive never imagined I would grab up a RTR RC and set it right on the track and not only be competitive in bone stock form but also display the kind of durability that an old school German like me demands. Kudos