RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hostetler 33% Decathlon
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Kellermann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hostetler 33% Decathlon

The answer to this question will depend on how far you want to go to detail her out the scale way.
If you want to go scale, do the linkage internally - but beware, long pushrods tend to bend and get floppy. Then you´ll have to do a closed loop cable system, which also requires a complete bellcrank system on the tail. besides that, you´ll have to find a way to make a coupler for each elevator half if you want to make them removable.

I would do it my way (Frank Sinatra, beware) which is the most common and of course the less complex way. One servo each side, under the stab halves, one short 4-40 pushord with Robart HD Ball-Link on the servo and Dubro Heavy Duty Safety Lock Clevis on the Elevator. No need for elevator couplers, and the halves are fully removeable. On the downside, you´ll have to loosen the ball link screw each time to remove the stab halves.

You can also go a third way, and in my oppinion, the best one: buy some expensive, thin, powerservos intended for High-Performance Scale gliders (wing servos) and fit them inside the stab halves, all you have to do to remove the stab is unplug the wires. The flat servos would fit almost totally inside, and if they protrude a little on the underside of the stab, they will show less than on the fuselage side. And you can paint them the same color as the stab underside, bingo, they´re gone at all. No risk of any kind of floppy mechanical connection, and the plugs musst be checked - and secured - before any flight session.

Any comments?

Marcus