RCU Forums - View Single Post - parkzones new ultra micro t-28
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 08:25 AM
cjg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: parkzones new ultra micro t-28

I got my micro T-28 last weekend. I've only had two brief windows where flight conditions are marginal (wind). First time out I flew in 10 mph winds. A bit much. However, when I attached the large Eflite 500mah 1S battery underneath, the extra weight stabilized it in the wind. The hobby shop staff recommended the big battery, said others are getting 25-30 minute flights on the micro T-28. I can tell it is heavy and will probably provide more stabile, but less acrobatic, flight.

Did a few touch and goes but too windy to really test flight.

Last night the wind was down to 5 mph. Still marginal, but acceptable. Mosquitoes were awful, and it was almost dark. Ran two batteries through it. Had to do a bit of adjustment to get trim correct. (I had tested the optimum battery location for CG before going out). If flies better if you move the battery (an CG) a bit forward in the wind.

Here are my initial impressions:
1) more stable, less responsive than the micro P-51 - even with the small stock battery. I haven't tested responsiveness with the big 500mah batt. This plane would be a better plane than the P-51 micro for beginners (I consider myself intermediate) as the first step up into 4 channel micro.
2) Roll rate is pitiful with the stock aileron throws. Good for beginner, and enough to get it inverted, but aileron rolls were tough as the nose tends to drop coming out of the roll without a lot of coordinated elevator and rudder control input. (I can roll my orginal T-28 using just aileron without losing altitude). I didn't get a chance to perfect the rolls as the mosquitos attacked in force and forced me down. Score one kill for the mosquitoes.

When I got home I opened it up and moved the aileron servo connection into the innermost hole to increase aileron throw.

When I get a chance I will post pix with its big brother (the original Navy PZ T-28) - love that Navy scheme over the AF scheme!

I will also give a more complete report when I am able to test with the new aileron settings. I will also post a pix to show how I modified the large Eflite 500mah batt to fit snuggly underneath the fuselage using stick foam tape with velcro to built up a mounting "rail."

My other aircraft:
Eflite BCX, PZ Cessna 210, PZ micro P-51, PZ Supercub (my first), PZ T-28.