RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Funtana 125
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 02:16 PM
darylm44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Funtana 125

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Finally got a dead calm day to test the changes I made to the 'Tana.

My set up is just like the factory elect setup.

Power110
APC 17x8
HV85
5s5000 x 2

The measurements on the airplane when first flown were 0-0-0

I flew the airplane about a dozen flights adjusting the control throws and expo to my
liking. I also moved the CG to the front of the CG range from middle of the recommended range.

I found the airplane to be a chore to fly and just not fun at all. The control throws were
far to sensitive for my taste. The airplane had a noticeable pull to the gear in the down
lines and up lines and the KE was vicious to the gear. Landings were shall we say
un-nerving having to hold a good bit of down elevator.

Totally unacceptable for precision sport flying IMHO.

I decided to move the CG forward and recheck, things got better but still not fun.
I'd had enough of this airplane and decided to try a few things I thought would help. I
refuse to fly an airplane that doesn't behave and do what I tell it to within reason.
I've flown a lot of sport airplanes over the last 35 years and none of them fly really
well, some have really nasty habits and some come pretty close to being very fun.

Here's what I changed,

1. I blocked the airplane up and stuck my measuring devices on it and ensured where I
started at and it was 0-0-0 measured from the canopy rail.

2. I added wing adjusters to the main wing pins and slotted the rear pins. I adjusted both
wings to .5 positive.

3. I added 1 degree down thrust to the motor.

4. Moved the CG to about 1/4'' in front of the recommended CG range.

I then went today and flew the airplane in dead calm winds.

I can report that these changes have made a world of difference in this airplane.

The pull to the gear is gone in the vertical up and down lines, the KE push to the gear is
far less than it was, on the order of 2/3 less. The landings are now more normal with the
airplane almost landing itself in a slight nose up attitude, no more having to push down
elevator to set it up. The entire airplane now feels more locked in in all flight axis than
it was, before it was always hunting in pitch. The elevator is softer around neutral than
it was which is nice.

Over all I believe these changes have made this a far better sport plane than it was
before.

If your a sport flier with this airplane you might want to try these mods.

If you're a 3D hovering type I doubt you'll like these changes, I really don't know as that
isn't my style of flying.

I'm now pleased with the Tana and shall continue to refine it as time progresses, I just
can't seem to leave anything alone for long.
Are you still flying this plane? I am thinking about making your modifications to see if it improves handling. Have you tried anything else.