RCU Forums - View Single Post - King Tiger turret speed
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 04:04 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: King Tiger turret speed

Bill, I know also the PzIV G and H had an auxiliary engine for turret rotation this was dropped on the J version and rotation was by hand again, the space was used for a fuel tank which increased the range of the tank

Gabriel could you give me the book and page you found your information on, UHU again could you give me the page number you found your information as I'm having trouble locating the relevant page.

Further research in to the Tiger II turret speed revealed in "VK45.02 to Tiger II" page 22 top left, where the discussion of the turret traverse was discussed by representatives of Wa Pruef 6/IId Krup and Henschel on 15 December 1942 this goes on to state that a turret traverse of 8 degree per second at 1750rpm, 12 degree per second at 3000rpm and 6 degree per second at 600rpm was achived.
This would give a full 360 degree rotation of the following
600rpm = 60 seconds
1750rpm = 45 seconds
3000rpm = 30 seconds
There may be more information that I have missed but I cant find anything else on this subject

In Tiger I there were 2 auxiliary hand wheels one for the gunner and one for the commander the commanders had a higher rate of turn to the gunner this may also have been true of the Tiger II