RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pay It Forward Build Thread!! Sig LT-40 build
Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 AM
fhm101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pay It Forward Build Thread!! Sig LT-40 build

It was not the lack of options in power which led me to suggest an air frame designed for electric as a better beginner outfit for one wanting to fly electric rather than converting a nitro aircraft. I tend to the KISS principal when a beginner asks me for advice on how to get started, and converting a nitro to electric assumes some skill in both woodwork and aeronautical principals, as well as an understanding of how to navigate a sea of electric components with no industry standard to serve as a guide. Based on several years behind a hobby shop counter helping people new to all manner of r/c hobbies, I have found simple is always better for a beginner, and following the included instructions is always quicker, easier, and less expensive when it comes to getting off the bench and into the game. I've seen more than one newbie discouraged out of the gate because they made their first choice of r/c model too complicated. Keep it simple and concentrate on learning to fly to start with. Kit bashing and electric to nitro conversions will come in time, but all the bench work in the world is wasted effort if you can't get your project off the ground and back down without tearing it up.
If a high wing taildragger trainer kit with ailerons is what you want to start with, before you make your final decision take a look at the Telemaster line from Hobby Lobby. They are light for their size which means less up front expense in motor, ESC, and batteries, and they also come with recommended setups and build instructions for both electric and glow. Another choice, and IMO the hands down best trainer kit available today is the SQuiRT from Stevens AeroModel. It's available in two sizes and is designed from the ground up for electric power AND the abuse a beginners first aircraft is bound to take. It's an excellent first choice if you want to build. Everything about this plane is beginner friendly, from the landing gear design to the low cost power system, it is the easiest, most economical beginner friendly electric kit currently available. Granted, it doesn't have ailerons, but a wing kit with ailerons is available for both sizes if you wanted to start that way, or you could start with the elevator/rudder and add additional control after you get a handle on the whole take off and landing thing.
Speaking of available, I have not shopped a SIG kit lately, but the last time I did they were like hen's teeth. That said, when you do make your decision, if it turns out to be an LT40 I have a kit still in the shrink wrap if you wind up having trouble locating one.