RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to Gliders - Where do I look for info?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:18 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: New to Gliders - Where do I look for info?

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Hey OzMO,

I spent some quality time this morning reading all posts included in the last 20 some pages of threads in this forum. I found the New Glider Pilot's Handbook by Ed Anderson (aeajr?). Thus the "never mind".

I'm thinking that Ed's handbook thread should be a sticky in this forum along with his "Learning to use a high-start" thread. Would'a saved a bunch of time.

I'm seriously considering building an EP-glider (kit form - no ARFs in this house ). A friend and my building mentor owns a LHS. He's built several EP-gliders and has offered to help in modifying non-EP ready kits to accept the EP stuff. He has a sweet DynaFlite Bird of Time with EP mods. He's a very good builder. My initial flying will be powered take off to altitude then play with the eagles 'n hawks at our field (starting at 5900 feet). Who knows, the Denver area probably has some pretty decent slopes (I'm just guessing - a bit of understatement if you catch my cynical drift ...). Maybe a "warmliner" might be something that would work too. Don't know yet. I have a couple of glow planes that need covered / repaired.

I have no desire for competition on the horizon though we have some club-sponsored vintage events. They aren't purists until the guy with "non-period" modifications wins then they scream bloody murder. Later, they offer him good money for his non-compliant equipment. Emmmmm, if winning isn't everything ...
Glad you found the New Glider Pilot's Handbook helpful.

Anything that you feel is missing?

Don't forget the Eastern Soaring League's Novice Lounge:
http://forums.flyesl.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14