RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to Gliders - Where do I look for info?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to Gliders - Where do I look for info?

ORIGINAL: aeajr

how much can you pull?

A Fling weighs about 7 ounces so you only need about 1.5 - 2poundsof pull to launch it.

An Easy glider is about 24 ounces and a Vista is about 30 ounces , so you only needabout 6-8 pounds of pull to get a good launch.

There are pedal launchers so that you can hook up to the hi-start/planethen let the launcher hold the tension till you step on the pedal.

All depends on how big and heavy your plane is and how much tension you can handle. But if 8 pounds is too much, then it is time to go electric.
Now that Ihave a fairly good understanding of a hi-start (and it's apparatus) I think that I can do a full boggy hi-start <with my left hand>.

I did my best imitation of Evelyn Woods Speed Reading Graduate on your New Glider Pilot's Handbook. Ya need to add the kitchen sink!

There is a link to a thread on "terminology"that is pretty weak. The sailplane / glider arm of the RChobby has some pretty specialized / unique / non-intuitive terms. It's the basics that are the initial "trip lines". I'm putting my own "dictionary" together - Ilearn more that way - at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, did Isay it or just think it - your work is FANTASTIC!!!!!! Thanks so much. Can we have a sticky that references your Handbook? Do we need to bribe Marc (RCAdmin)?

TTFN